Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 30-03-2023 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244024)
Haiz, I changed RO every year due to staff movement. Very sian to explain what I do over and over again. 2022-2023 is the first period I have same RO for 2 years.

im quite similar to you. mummy too.
may i know if you are promoted to geo 4? do you get to do enhanced posting exercise?

Unregistered 30-03-2023 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244311)
Anyone had colleague throw letter yet?

Know of 3 people leaving. 2 within short notice, 1 by end of this year. All within same department.

Amazed at how much shortage there already is, that things are about to get worse and what's worst is that there are still no new incoming replacements. No vacancies for more FAJT too.

Waiting to see a vicious cycle of resignations start.

Unregistered 30-03-2023 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244319)
Hi all, can geo3 hq officer (EO) due to be posted out be eligible for Enhanced Posting Exercise?

All the people I know will get promoted to GEO4 before in the year before posting out so that they are eligible for enhanced posting. You may want to ask your DD or D if you can extend 1 year and see if you are slated for promotion next year before you get posted out? Else, you can only go back as normal teacher.

Unregistered 30-03-2023 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244321)
Know of 3 people leaving. 2 within short notice, 1 by end of this year. All within same department.

Amazed at how much shortage there already is, that things are about to get worse and what's worst is that there are still no new incoming replacements. No vacancies for more FAJT too.

Is the problem management issue within the department or really the workload of the teaching subject itself?

Unregistered 30-03-2023 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244325)
Is the problem management issue within the department or really the workload of the teaching subject itself?

It is the brutal cutting down of nationwide EO headcount without any corresponding cutting down of workload. The job scope of a teacher continuously gets wider and wider with no abatement in sight.

Unregistered 30-03-2023 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244319)
Hi all, can geo3 hq officer (EO) due to be posted out be eligible for Enhanced Posting Exercise?

Not eligible. EPS is for KP roles; hard requirement to go for cluster panel interview and to be appointed a KP is GEO4. You can use Open Posting to seek a school to take you in as a teacher, but express your aspirations to the P during the interview and get a sensing of the opportunities available from the way the P responds to your statements.

Unregistered 30-03-2023 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244329)
It is the brutal cutting down of nationwide EO headcount without any corresponding cutting down of workload. The job scope of a teacher continuously gets wider and wider with no abatement in sight.

From my understanding only certain CS teachers are reduced while the ministry is constantly hiring for CS like EL, music, MTL.

And like you say it’s a particular department. Why only that department?

Unregistered 30-03-2023 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244323)
All the people I know will get promoted to GEO4 before in the year before posting out so that they are eligible for enhanced posting. You may want to ask your DD or D if you can extend 1 year and see if you are slated for promotion next year before you get posted out? Else, you can only go back as normal teacher.

It's not a given that you will get GEO4 before posting out of HQ.

Example:
2 years in first school -> open posting to HQ -> serve 2 out of 3 years in HQ: at this point in time you are only 4.5 YOE. Vast majority of 4.5 YOE non-scholars and award holders/local scholars will be at GEO3 and will need another couple of years to hit GEO4.

Unregistered 30-03-2023 07:48 PM

Im throwin nxt mth

Unregistered 30-03-2023 07:49 PM

What’s your next destination?

Unregistered 30-03-2023 08:13 PM

Is it true that after teaching for 10 years, one would be eligible to further studies and not have to pay for the fees at all? Can study any masters?

Unregistered 30-03-2023 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244332)
From my understanding only certain CS teachers are reduced while the ministry is constantly hiring for CS like EL, music, MTL.

And like you say it’s a particular department. Why only that department?

And PE. My school got 2 new PGDE and 1 FAJT for PE.
While I'm the still the 'newest' SS teacher. I've been in this school for 5 years. LOL.

Unregistered 30-03-2023 11:23 PM

Quote:

Officially the numbers are in excess. Always in excess when you ask P. Sigh

Unregistered 30-03-2023 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244344)
Is it true that after teaching for 10 years, one would be eligible to further studies and not have to pay for the fees at all? Can study any masters?

You become eligible for PD leave with pay. However, unless you successfully got yourself a postgrad scholarship, you got to pay for itself

Unregistered 31-03-2023 01:20 AM

If promoted, is annual increment and merit imcrement the same?

Unregistered 31-03-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244399)
If promoted, is annual increment and merit imcrement the same?

If promoted you will get a "big" increment. The "big" increment consists of two components added up together:
1) the merit increment, which is the default April increment that you get every year as long as you don't get a D grade or hit the ceiling;
2) the promotion increment

If not promoted, you only get a merit increment (component 1).

Unregistered 31-03-2023 12:45 PM

Does anyone know if an officer's CEP is raised in N year, promotion will not happen in N+1 year? Heard this from RO when at HQ, not sure whether it is true or BS.

Also, if CEP review and dicussion during ranking is supposed to be phased out wef from this year, whats supposed to be the new process & structure in determining promotion?

Unregistered 31-03-2023 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244432)
Does anyone know if an officer's CEP is raised in N year, promotion will not happen in N+1 year? Heard this from RO when at HQ, not sure whether it is true or BS.

Also, if CEP review and dicussion during ranking is supposed to be phased out wef from this year, whats supposed to be the new process & structure in determining promotion?

whom boss likes lor. u all asked for it

Unregistered 31-03-2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244438)
whom boss likes lor. u all asked for it

in particular naive teachers who thinking working harder or implementing a small thing in school well means the same as running a dept in hq which determines systemic outcomes foe a whole system

Unregistered 31-03-2023 01:18 PM

Quote:

hahahah. like teachers are very marketable. they are not. maybe those who just finished bond from nus, smu etc are. the BAs from NIE much less so. tuition doesn’t pay that much for the average, it’s an industry with obviously has superstar effect

Unregistered 31-03-2023 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244440)
hahahah. like teachers are very marketable. they are not. maybe those who just finished bond from nus, smu etc are. the BAs from NIE much less so. tuition doesn’t pay that much for the average, it’s an industry with obviously has superstar effect

i heard that now the undergrads in NIE seem to be more marketable? like they are offered a double major or something? like its not purely just education now hmmm

Unregistered 31-03-2023 05:42 PM

Quote:

Which explains why we have so many colleagues who hang on there till the end

Unregistered 31-03-2023 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244480)
Which explains why we have so many colleagues who hang on there till the end

You're referring to the boomer deadweights who are coasting because they want to be "HOT"?

Unregistered 31-03-2023 07:45 PM

Quote:

for the first qn, and if i am to believe the hint given by my P last year, yes. it’s possible to be promoted N+1 year coz i got promoted this year.

not many people able to give u an answer for the second qn though.

Unregistered 31-03-2023 10:43 PM

I didn’t rec any info means didn’t get promoted le? Hai.
Covered for HOD yet nothing. So tired. feel like I’m being overworked for nothing.

2016 GEO 4
2021 KP appointment. B.
2022 c+
2023 B

I am so drained.

Unregistered 31-03-2023 11:13 PM

How much does jc teacher earn

Unregistered 01-04-2023 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244504)
How much does jc teacher earn

same scale as primary and secondary school teachers la!

Unregistered 01-04-2023 12:21 AM

merit increment

understand that merit increment is not tied to pb

so how much merit increment usually for geo 3?
like +2%

Unregistered 01-04-2023 12:23 AM

Quote:

Ex MOE teacher can charge around $70 or more for sec sch, and at least $100 for math or jc subject.

To hit $7k a month, which is more than what most ordinary teacher earns, just need to work 100h a month, or 25h a week. Roughly 2-3 students every day for 1.5h sessions. Very doable. Just get from agent if doing 1-1. Should be able to scale up to conduct group tution or even tuition classes and earn even more.

Maybe might not earn as much as SLs, but can definitely earn a very comfortable salary given the shorter number of hours put in. Not everyone places thier priorities on money'. Think nowadays all the young teachers have plenty of choices from what I see.

Unregistered 01-04-2023 12:25 AM

How to check increment if promoted? Must wait till 12 april?

Unregistered 01-04-2023 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244516)
How to check increment if promoted? Must wait till 12 april?

It's out. Can check on hrp

Unregistered 01-04-2023 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244517)

Very laggy now, not loading for me

Unregistered 01-04-2023 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244517)

Which section should you go to check it? Salary revision letters is not loading properly for me. It's blank.

Unregistered 01-04-2023 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244536)
Which section should you go to check it? Salary revision letters is not loading properly for me. It's blank.

It should be under “Pay Advice and Related Statements”

Unregistered 01-04-2023 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244537)
It should be under “Pay Advice and Related Statements”

Which section exactly? Don’t see anything leh

Unregistered 01-04-2023 07:45 AM

Quote:

It’s not that CEP review will be phased out but rather, it’s only reserved for those deemed with highest potential. You will only be awarded a CEP after hitting a certain grade and assessed to be able to take on a higher grade (e.g., SEO2) one day.

Unregistered 01-04-2023 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244539)
Which section exactly? Don’t see anything leh

You need to go to hrp, pay advice and related statement. The new pay and salary range for substantive grade is reflected at the top. Workpal does not have the information

Unregistered 01-04-2023 08:21 AM

I've been trying HRP, nothing is coming out for me. Anybody having the same issues?

Unregistered 01-04-2023 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244548)
I've been trying HRP, nothing is coming out for me. Anybody having the same issues?

Some of my friends can't log in too... But I tried it a few minutes ago and it's stil showing for me.

Unregistered 01-04-2023 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244548)

It doesn't show anything when I use laptop, but it shows up when i access HRP website via mobile phone.