Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 31-01-2019 01:55 PM

hi, just curious if there are currently any DXOs here who are private degree holders? (eg. from RMIT/UOL/UB)

I have a friend who is currently working as a DXO (diploma holder) and she informed me that all of her colleagues (degree holders) are from local universities. I understand that naturally MINDEF would prioritise local university graduates and tend to hire more of them as well.

However, I'm a private degree holder and I took the PT yesterday. Not a fresh grad, I do have 3 years of working experience where i had to liaise with MINDEF personnel (regulars/NSmen/DXOs) due to the nature of my job and another 2.5 years of experience which is relevant to the position I applied for. Just wondering if there is a possibility for me to score an interview (provided I did well for the PT) and that they would consider people like me who are from private universities?

Unregistered 31-01-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 113550)
hi, just curious if there are currently any DXOs here who are private degree holders? (eg. from RMIT/UOL/UB)

I have a friend who is currently working as a DXO (diploma holder) and she informed me that all of her colleagues (degree holders) are from local universities. I understand that naturally MINDEF would prioritise local university graduates and tend to hire more of them as well.

However, I'm a private degree holder and I took the PT yesterday. Not a fresh grad, I do have 3 years of working experience where i had to liaise with MINDEF personnel (regulars/NSmen/DXOs) due to the nature of my job and another 2.5 years of experience which is relevant to the position I applied for. Just wondering if there is a possibility for me to score an interview (provided I did well for the PT) and that they would consider people like me who are from private universities?

I think their policy is not to accept private degree.
Might emplace you at diploma level

Unregistered 31-01-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Dont be disheartened, I just got offered and accepted a role into a ministry. SIM-UOL background.

Unregistered 01-02-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 113558)
Dont be disheartened, I just got offered and accepted a role into a ministry. SIM-UOL background.

thanks for your response! would you mind just sharing which dept and rank?

Unregistered 01-02-2019 09:02 PM

Cant say which dept but one of the main ministries. Was given MX12, pay on par with local grads for 2nd-lower hons. So just keep whacking haha

Unregistered 11-02-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

I think that the fact that they invited you to PT, already means they are giving you a chance to prove yourself to be of a certain caliber worth to take a second look. The problem is the PT weeds out more than 90% of candidates at stage 1. those that remain are usually highly experienced, sometimes without qualification due to lack of opportunity. if you are young and qualified, the PT is, unfortunately, there to filter you.

my degree is also private, from SIM-AUS. before I obtained my higher degree from NTU, straight rejection 5 years in a row, not even step into PT. The moment I keyed in my higher degree, the system stopped sending me rejection email within 2 working days. Yes, this shows that the system is still rather dogmatic, not really pragmatic, despite all the sales talk around August.

I have waited almost 2 months from PT to interview, and almost 1 month to finally "site visit" next week. No news is good news. Finally, for non-uniformed, the salary is usually below the market.

Unregistered 11-02-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 109968)
Anybody did a written test before the interview? May I know what to expect?
Thanks in advance!

Me! Twice in fact. The test will relate to the position you are applying for.

Unregistered 13-02-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 113745)
Me! Twice in fact. The test will relate to the position you are applying for.

My question was completely unrelated to my position. I suspect it is because my future boss is does not believe one question can determine if a person is suitable, so HR just throw out a general soft skills question for protocol.

Unregistered 13-02-2019 07:32 PM

My Pt was 23 Jan.. and it’s been radio silence from then till now...

Unregistered 14-02-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 113791)
My Pt was 23 Jan.. and it’s been radio silence from then till now...

HR reply my email from 5 days ago, at 11pm. 2 HR ladies handling 1000s of applications. This was in Dec. Now they don't even reply queries.

3 days become 5 days
Pt-interview from 1 week become 1 month
Interview-preview from 1 week become 1 month

From the info I gathered, if you are not the top choice, you possibly wait another 1 month from site preview, praying for the top candidate to reject the offer before it comes to you.

No news is good news!