Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 03-06-2020 04:49 AM

Hi guys,

I was offered a role in a SB as a local uni grad, but they are honestly lowballing me with the salary (lower 2k).

I'm planning to work in gov sector even after this contract ends in 2 years, and I'm worried because my salary will probably be in the mid 2k range by then and it will take me many years just to get to a salary for a good fresh grad entry level job (mid 3k).

Just wanted to ask, is it alright if I call HR to negotiate my salary since I already have the contract on hand?

Unregistered 03-06-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136380)
Hi guys,

I was offered a role in a SB as a local uni grad, but they are honestly lowballing me with the salary (lower 2k).

I'm planning to work in gov sector even after this contract ends in 2 years, and I'm worried because my salary will probably be in the mid 2k range by then and it will take me many years just to get to a salary for a good fresh grad entry level job (mid 3k).

Just wanted to ask, is it alright if I call HR to negotiate my salary since I already have the contract on hand?

If yoh negotiate, they can easily find many others who want your job.

Unregistered 03-06-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136380)
Hi guys,

So low? Is yours a SGUnited temp job?

Unregistered 03-06-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136389)
So low? Is yours a SGUnited temp job?

Nope. Its a job with a 2 year contract and 6 month probation period. Salary adjustment after my first year when I advance to a non-training role.

I'm only thinking about negotiating because I have the contract on hand and I'm trying my luck. The upper ceiling for the role is 3.1k as stated in the contract (probably for non-covid times?), so I was hoping to try to get a little more out of it.

Unregistered 03-06-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136396)
Nope. Its a job with a 2 year contract and 6 month probation period. Salary adjustment after my first year when I advance to a non-training role.

I'm only thinking about negotiating because I have the contract on hand and I'm trying my luck. The upper ceiling for the role is 3.1k as stated in the contract (probably for non-covid times?), so I was hoping to try to get a little more out of it.

Which local uni are you from? This sounds like a diploma level payscale.

Unregistered 03-06-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136396)

this is definitely not a degree payscale.

have you graduate? or waiting to graduate, it makes a different

Unregistered 03-06-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136397)
Which local uni are you from? This sounds like a diploma level payscale.

Now traineeship for fresh local grad is $1.8 to $2.5k. No guarantee of job at the end of 12 months

Unregistered 03-06-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136404)
Now traineeship for fresh local grad is $1.8 to $2.5k. No guarantee of job at the end of 12 months

Gotta be more forthcoming if you want to have a meaningful discussion here.

Seriously:
-what local uni are you from? (If it's a local private they might put on on diploma scheme I've heard)
-are you joining on the mx scheme?
-since you mention traineeship, what is that for? Trainee to become a lawyer? Engineer?

Unregistered 03-06-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136405)
Gotta be more forthcoming if you want to have a meaningful discussion here.

Seriously:
-what local uni are you from? (If it's a local private they might put on on diploma scheme I've heard)
-are you joining on the mx scheme?
-since you mention traineeship, what is that for? Trainee to become a lawyer? Engineer?

I'm from NUS, and I graduated last December right before COVID. Not comfortable sharing too much about the rest since I'm not sure if my employer lurks around these forums, but training is mainly for product knowledge + OJT for a support role.

My actual question was if I should negotiate my salary since it was stated on the contract that the upper end of the salary range is about 3.5k. While I'm not the best NUS graduate available on the market, I'm pretty sure that I'm worth at least more than a 2.2k salary especially since I've even taken on a related role in an internship before and am not entering the job as someone entirely untrained outside of the specific product knowledge.

Unregistered 03-06-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136404)

traineeship dont sound like a official role in the company. looks like a internship kind of thing.
if that is the case, then below 2k is possible.