Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 01-06-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navi (Post 136172)
Anyone here knows how much the difference is when one gets hired with a degree w honours and a degree w pass? Currently in a SB, and thinking whether to pursue a degree in business in SUSS without honours or go for accounting with honours for future prospect. However, I have not much interest in accounting. Wanna know if there is really a huge difference w and w/o honours. I did search on this forum but can't find anything pertaining to the salary.

dont quote me
i believe it does matter to the starting pay you are offered. subsequencely depends on your performance

navi 01-06-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136174)
dont quote me
i believe it does matter to the starting pay you are offered. subsequencely depends on your performance

yeah this i am aware but i want to know roughly how much the difference is and whether it matters if you are already in the public sector.

Unregistered 01-06-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navi (Post 136176)
yeah this i am aware but i want to know roughly how much the difference is and whether it matters if you are already in the public sector.

if you are already in, you need to change SB or min to effect it
my friend is one live example.. he joined SB with his diploma (degree due in 6mths), after he got his degree, HR "claim" his offering is already tied to fresh grad, so didnt adjust anything

2 years later, he was promoted to AM. and his team recruit a fresh grad who is the same job grade as him, AM also

Unregistered 01-06-2020 07:40 PM

Interestingly, a direct 1 year contract under a SB which I received a while ago has no entitlement to any of the usual bonuses/AWS, just a completion bonus subject to performance. Also appears to be missing are some benefits such as flexible benefits which i read up in Glassdoor for the SB.

Is this the norm?

Unregistered 01-06-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navi (Post 136172)
Anyone here knows how much the difference is when one gets hired with a degree w honours and a degree w pass? Currently in a SB, and thinking whether to pursue a degree in business in SUSS without honours or go for accounting with honours for future prospect. However, I have not much interest in accounting. Wanna know if there is really a huge difference w and w/o honours. I did search on this forum but can't find anything pertaining to the salary.

SUSS is SIM. Tbh, Civil service prefers the 3 local universities.

navi 01-06-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136182)
SUSS is SIM. Tbh, Civil service prefers the 3 local universities.

yeah but suss is localised now although not as recognised as the other 3 local ones. i think should be fine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136179)
if you are already in, you need to change SB or min to effect it
my friend is one live example.. he joined SB with his diploma (degree due in 6mths), after he got his degree, HR "claim" his offering is already tied to fresh grad, so didnt adjust anything

2 years later, he was promoted to AM. and his team recruit a fresh grad who is the same job grade as him, AM also

ahh i see thanks for the insight.

Unregistered 01-06-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136180)
Interestingly, a direct 1 year contract under a SB which I received a while ago has no entitlement to any of the usual bonuses/AWS, just a completion bonus subject to performance. Also appears to be missing are some benefits such as flexible benefits which i read up in Glassdoor for the SB.

Is this the norm?

i never heard before. you may want to confirm if you are direct contract to the SB.

completion bonus kind of contract are usually contract with third party partner.

Unregistered 01-06-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136193)
i never heard before. you may want to confirm if you are direct contract to the SB.

completion bonus kind of contract are usually contract with third party partner.

I believe it is a direct contract since I have been dealing with the SB's HR all along and the contract plus the wall of text of rules, terms and conditions are all from the SB. No signs of any third party partner anywhere.

Maybe it is the practice of this particular SB for such temporary 1 year or less contract roles?

Unregistered 01-06-2020 08:58 PM

Various ministries and stat boards do hire short term contract staff (eg 6mths, 1yr). Probably referring to this? Salary terms are likely different for those on such contracts

Unregistered 01-06-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136180)

Is this the norm?

doesnt sound like the norm to me...im a 1 yr contract staff but im eligible to all leave, benefits and bonuses. I agree w the other reply that yours feels like a 3rd party contract