Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 14-01-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puff (Post 61338)
Well as far as I know, you should avoid economic agencies then. Cause these are the ones that are usually busier than others. Look for MSF, MCY and the agencies under them.

But considering that you're a mass comms graduate, you will most probably be looking for corp comms related jobs. From what I've seen, corp comms people have busier schedule due to the nature of their job. Else look for jobs in corporate function (e.g. Corporate Services, HR, Finance etc).

izzit common to have alot of meeting n presentation in civil service?

I have been interning in some ministry for less than a month and has already sit through 3 or 4 presentations and presented in one of them... + a few other minor ones and more coming up for my remaining time... is this the norm across the ministry/sb? or i happen to be in one that has alot of meeting?

Unregistered 14-01-2015 07:58 PM

poster of previous post.... sorry for quoting wrongly...

Unregistered 14-01-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61324)
only a lucky few can get this...

Lucky me!!!!!!

Unregistered 14-01-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61369)
izzit common to have alot of meeting n presentation in civil service?

I have been interning in some ministry for less than a month and has already sit through 3 or 4 presentations and presented in one of them... + a few other minor ones and more coming up for my remaining time... is this the norm across the ministry/sb? or i happen to be in one that has alot of meeting?

Normal lah.

And generally the more senior you get, the more meetings you have to attend.

Unregistered 14-01-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61378)
Normal lah.

And generally the more senior you get, the more meetings you have to attend.

i see... so disruptive, was rushing for deadlines but still have to keep going for those meetings/presentations

Puff 15-01-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61385)
i see... so disruptive, was rushing for deadlines but still have to keep going for those meetings/presentations

Generally the higher you go, the more meetings you have to attend, both internally and externally. On top of all that, you will also have additional meetings should you be in certain committees or task-force groups. That is why it is a misconception that civil servants have an easy life, one that starts at 9am and ends by 6pm. I can say probably only lower div officers can have that kind of life.

The more senior ones (DDs and above) attend meetings all day long, and can only start clearing their work after their meetings ended. The junior ones (entry level to ADs + some DDs) will have work to do all day (e.g. preparing papers, presentations, or prep notes for their bosses for the meetings etc.). Depending on their roles and responsibilities, they too have to work all day and night. These are the people that deals with policy issues usually.

But I digress. Yes presentation is part and parcel of those in the public sector. People usually "fight" to present, as that is one of the better opportunities to be known by those who matters. Putting a face to the name.

Unregistered 15-01-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61335)
Hi everyone, I am a NTU second upper degree holder major in comm studies, around 1 year plus of working exp so far, but probably not relevant to civil service jobs.

I am turning 27 this year, with ns. My main aim of joining civil service is to have stability and work-life balance...read: monday to friday, working hours standard 8-530 or 6... I'm ok with doing overtime during busy periods/events but it should not be a common thing. And I definitely don't want shift work or weekend burning jobs.

Which ministries/sbs have this kind of working culture? Not very fussy about pay as I understand I will probably be treated like a fresh grad.

Thanks.

Hi, which area of the media industry are you working in? Broadcast?

cleopatra 16-01-2015 08:41 AM

G50 process

I am Indonesian apply job in singaporean government agency and have passed 2x interview test and assesment test also the other tests such as medical test, referee contact assesment. All tests took 1 month. But after I passed all they notified me I have been officially accepted as new staff and must fill in the G50 form before I sign the agreement.
They told me it will take 2- 3 weeks its stressing as I don't know what is G50 form actualy is and where this form is submitted?

Unregistered 16-01-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleopatra (Post 61428)
I am Indonesian apply job in singaporean government agency and have passed 2x interview test and assesment test also the other tests such as medical test, referee contact assesment. All tests took 1 month. But after I passed all they notified me I have been officially accepted as new staff and must fill in the G50 form before I sign the agreement.
They told me it will take 2- 3 weeks its stressing as I don't know what is G50 form actualy is and where this form is submitted?

It's for security clearance. It's done by our internal security department within the ministry of home affairs.

What type of position is this? Quite strange that they would hire a foreigner and seem G50 clearance. Usually only singaporeans get to handle jobs which require G50 clearance.

Unregistered 16-01-2015 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61444)
It's for security clearance. It's done by our internal security department within the ministry of home affairs.

What type of position is this? Quite strange that they would hire a foreigner and seem G50 clearance. Usually only singaporeans get to handle jobs which require G50 clearance.

Sounds like mindef based on the number of tests. Nah, not really, G50 clearance is required for small small things. For example, in mindef, just using an intranet computer, which almost all admin staff require, also needs a G50 clearance.