Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 10-06-2012 01:57 AM

all that u said are correct. And the fact that teachers whine....is also correct. haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25569)
The teaching profession forms a large chunk of the civil service. However, there has not been much discussion about teacher's salaries. How much will a teacher/Subject head/HOD earn, in general, at the age of 30, 35 & 40? By the way, teachers are traditionally the KING of Whiners. U only need to recall how frequent you hear your friends who are teachers complain about the long working hours, heavy workload, recalcitrant students, unreasonable parents...just to name a few. And they get defensive and annoyed when others comment that they get to enjoy school holidays.

Before you classify teachers as whiners, please go talk to someone who understands the work of a teacher in Spore. Your comments are unfair and do injustice to the teaching fraternity. No I am not a teacher, in case you think I am one of the "whiners". I am work in energy trading related industry, and truth be told, I think being a teacher is tougher despite my P&L reponsibilities and sometimes, longer working hours.

Ask yourself, can u wake up at 5.45am everyday, teach (students if you are lucky, do scold you CCB occassionally) then do alot of stupid non value adding project groups, be in charge of an ECA (or CCA as they call it now), bring kids for excursions, reach home at 6pm, only to start marking scripts/workbooks/prepare lesson plans till 10pm. During the June/Dec hols, these poor sods are supposed to work as well, doing projects, attend workshops for self improvement etc. Beyond that, teachers are also role models for students, so they have to be morally and ethically upright...can you take all these nonsense for the pay they are getting ?

Unregistered 10-06-2012 10:50 AM

Every time there is a class gathering, the teachers will spare no effort to complain. It is indubitably the toughest profession in history of mankind. haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25583)
all that u said are correct. And the fact that teachers whine....is also correct. haha.

Unregistered 10-06-2012 09:53 PM

What comes after MX9?

Hi,
It seems that MX12 to MX10 are suitably covered, but what comes after MX9?

Nitrile 10-06-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25599)
Hi,

Why bother when you wouldn't even make it to that level anyway? Anyone who is there wldnt have time to come in here anyway.

Its like asking what comes after being a Colonel.

Unregistered 11-06-2012 09:54 PM

After MX9 comes MX8 and MX7.

A MX8 is typically a senior director or director in a ministry, helming either an office or (at least) a directorate respectively. His or her salary would be approximately $14K to $17K. Bonus wise, it would be more than what is published in the papers as MX8 is already the 2nd level of superscale. To see things in perspective, i would think it is equivalent to a principal in a MOE school.

A MX7 officer can potentially take on portfolios as high as deputy secretaries. However, having said that, DSes are typically on AO schemes and not MX. But that's just to see how high ranking MX7 is. Salary wise, a good guess would be $20K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25599)
Hi,

Unregistered 11-06-2012 10:15 PM

Hoping for some honest advice.

Am thinking of switching to civil/public service from current banking operations back office.
Am 33 this year, ntu engineering degree (pass), 5 years banking operations experience
Currently getting 4.2k only

What kind of positions (non-engineering, non-uniform) can I appy for in the civil service/public sector?

Do I stand a chance with pass ntu engineering degree knowing the civil/public places great emphasis with paper qualifications? (If not, i don't want to waste time trying)

Unregistered 11-06-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25621)
After MX9 comes MX8 and MX7.

A MX8 is typically a senior director or director in a ministry, helming either an office or (at least) a directorate respectively. His or her salary would be approximately $14K to $17K. Bonus wise, it would be more than what is published in the papers as MX8 is already the 2nd level of superscale. To see things in perspective, i would think it is equivalent to a principal in a MOE school.

A MX7 officer can potentially take on portfolios as high as deputy secretaries. However, having said that, DSes are typically on AO schemes and not MX. But that's just to see how high ranking MX7 is. Salary wise, a good guess would be $20K.

So the Maximum MX scheme grade is MX7? Is there any MX6??

so a typical MX8 annual salary is between 230K to 300K?

Normally the maximum a farmer can go is MX10 or MX9.
how many scholar on the MX scheme can hit MX8 or MX7?

Of course all those under AO scheme are government scholar under SR9 grade, annual salary about 380k

Fresh grad 12-06-2012 02:14 PM

Fresh grad salary expectations

Hi,

Male -25 years old
Just graduated from EEE in NTU with direct honors (2nd lower)
Completed NS

Which job sector or firms should i look for? And what is the salary i should expect?
Cant get into ministry or civil sector i guess.

Unregistered 12-06-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh grad (Post 25640)
Hi,

Male -25 years old
Just graduated from EEE in NTU with direct honors (2nd lower)
Completed NS

Which job sector or firms should i look for? And what is the salary i should expect?
Cant get into ministry or civil sector i guess.

Why not? Have you even tried?

Unregistered 12-06-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25623)
Hoping for some honest advice.

Am thinking of switching to civil/public service from current banking operations back office.
Am 33 this year, ntu engineering degree (pass), 5 years banking operations experience
Currently getting 4.2k only

What kind of positions (non-engineering, non-uniform) can I appy for in the civil service/public sector?

Do I stand a chance with pass ntu engineering degree knowing the civil/public places great emphasis with paper qualifications? (If not, i don't want to waste time trying)

Be prepared to receive a possible 10-15% discount to your existing salary.. Cos you are already considered overpaid for your profile in the civil service... You will no go very far also since you do not have honors... I would stay put in the back office if i were you... No prospects either ways even if you took the pay cut.....