Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 03-06-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12896)
Question to ask!

Is PI = promotional increment? Is it you only get the PI when you get promoted (let say from MX12 to MX11)? If otherwise, in normal year where you do not get promoted, you only just get the MI (merit increment)??

Is MI(merit increment = annual increment)?

hihi,

yup, MI = merit increment = annual increment. PI = promotion increment. That is my understand also. normal year without promo is MI only, with promo is PI + MI.

Unregistered 03-06-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12903)
hihi,

yup, MI = merit increment = annual increment. PI = promotion increment. That is my understand also. normal year without promo is MI only, with promo is PI + MI.

so normally for "C" grade performer

Let say during a particular year he got promoted,

Then he is entitled PI + MI

so how much is the PI when promoted from MX12 to MX11, how many % or how much is the fix quantum?

also how much is the MI for "C" grade performer

Unregistered 03-06-2011 04:40 PM

I'm a soon to be out of job securities dealer looking for an entry-level position in the civil service. Would appreciate some advice on my chances and the likely salary in the government sector.

Unregistered 03-06-2011 05:45 PM

re - securities dealer

the term securities dealer is really vague.

1. what type of FI - broker, bank, hedge fund, local or otherwise?
2. job scope - executions (baseline), market-making, risk taking?

the analytical scope/depth at each level and each setting is very different.

Also, what are your academic qualifications?

Unregistered 03-06-2011 05:55 PM

and btw securities dealer -

my own 2 cents -

the civil / public service, in the ideal sense, should not be treated like a dumping ground just cause you're going to get retrenched?

if you were doing well in finance, the pay is not even a consideration for such a switch: it will never be comparable.

even if you were to do personal account trading you can make much more than the starting pay.

certainly you can find other reasons to want to join???

Unregistered 04-06-2011 12:03 PM

Mid term scholarship career prospects better than normal entrant?

Hi all,

I was talking with my friend this afternoon. And he got a mid term scholarship with one of the stat boards. Basically the people there told him his career path already set, so no worries, since he's scholar.

Now I was always under the impression that mid term scholarship is no big deal one, but this really makes me rethink strategy? I always thought only PSC or those overseas scholarships give you excellent career prospects, are mid term ones also like the PSC ones?

Unregistered 04-06-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12943)
Hi all,

I was talking with my friend this afternoon. And he got a mid term scholarship with one of the stat boards. Basically the people there told him his career path already set, so no worries, since he's scholar.

Now I was always under the impression that mid term scholarship is no big deal one, but this really makes me rethink strategy? I always thought only PSC or those overseas scholarships give you excellent career prospects, are mid term ones also like the PSC ones?

got better than none. promotions are based mainly on CEP which in the case of scholars are high.

Unregistered 05-06-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12949)
got better than none. promotions are based mainly on CEP which in the case of scholars are high.

Even those short bonds also will have higher CEP?

So let's say i'm going to get at least a second uppers, then towards graduation should I be signing up for a stat board mid term scholarship, or should I enter directly after I graduate in Mindef?

Unregistered 05-06-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12914)
the term securities dealer is really vague.

1. what type of FI - broker, bank, hedge fund, local or otherwise?
2. job scope - executions (baseline), market-making, risk taking?

the analytical scope/depth at each level and each setting is very different.

Also, what are your academic qualifications?

Was doing equities execution and advisory services in a broking house for about 4 years.

B. Science (Building) 3rd class Hons

Unregistered 05-06-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12916)
my own 2 cents -

the civil / public service, in the ideal sense, should not be treated like a dumping ground just cause you're going to get retrenched?

if you were doing well in finance, the pay is not even a consideration for such a switch: it will never be comparable.

even if you were to do personal account trading you can make much more than the starting pay.

certainly you can find other reasons to want to join???

The company has offered other positions but I don't see it getting anywhere. I spent the last 4 years getting overworked and underpaid, looking to call time.

Personality-wise and in terms of job security, I find the civil service a good fit. Looking forward to contributing towards a public sector that's more intuned with the ground.