Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 25-09-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184113)
Can anyone share insights on the stability of a Govt job? As I have been working for 6 months as a fresh grad at a stat board, work life balance is decent but I mainly joined for the stability, as I was willing to sacrifice on the pay. But after hearing from some of my friends in private sector like banks etc., they are earning more than me and as an average graduate, my progression is likely fixed. I have yet to experience the stability of the job since I’m only 6 months in.
Should I leave for the private sector after 2/3 years and can anyone share some stories on the stability of a Govt job

Well for our parents generation, there are people who spent their entire career all the way to retirement in government. Is that the kind of stability you are looking for?

Unregistered 25-09-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184114)
If you are mostly average, better stay in govt. At least got a level of certainty with progression and bonus, with stability and work life balance. I haven't heard of anyone retrenched by govt due to covid so far.

I'm not a scholar but just a graduate from local uni, nothing good or bad to rave about. But I would consider myself to just be average?

Unregistered 25-09-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184119)
Well for our parents generation, there are people who spent their entire career all the way to retirement in government. Is that the kind of stability you are looking for?

I am not entirely sure as if I can still progress and learn new things after 10 20 years, I am open to staying. But as mentioned above, I feel that as an average farmer, the progression is likely fixed end I might end up doing the same things after 5 years which can likely be mundane. Not to mention the salary component in public vs private.

Unregistered 25-09-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184126)
I am not entirely sure as if I can still progress and learn new things after 10 20 years, I am open to staying. But as mentioned above, I feel that as an average farmer, the progression is likely fixed end I might end up doing the same things after 5 years which can likely be mundane. Not to mention the salary component in public vs private.

I am a local grad and has since been in the same ministry for 13 years following my graduation. Now drawing $9.4k pm and have never looked back since. Yes, it is a stable job with the civil service, and you can consider if this is what you want. At least there is a decent level of work life harmony as what you have already known.

Unregistered 25-09-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184138)
I am a local grad and has since been in the same ministry for 13 years following my graduation. Now drawing $9.4k pm and have never looked back since. Yes, it is a stable job with the civil service, and you can consider if this is what you want. At least there is a decent level of work life harmony as what you have already known.

Salary is not great but if you get job security and wlb not a bad deal I guess

Unregistered 25-09-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184108)
Nope, starting package wise dsta would be the highest and shopee lowest for PM position. I know because I have been offered for both and also counter checked with those working inside

Depends on how big a difference. If few hundred dollars, just matter of 1-2 years to catch up. After that surely will exceed. Gov pay can never match tech companies

Unregistered 25-09-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184138)

13 year and not even 10k yet..
Ermm.. 5 years in mnc and already getting much more than you.

Unregistered 25-09-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184140)
Salary is not great but if you get job security and wlb not a bad deal I guess

assuming poster start work 24, now is around 37, 38 YO.
9.4k on a 16 months package.. 150k pa. the salary is great.

Unregistered 25-09-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184143)
13 year and not even 10k yet..
Ermm.. 5 years in mnc and already getting much more than you.

To each his own. So long a person is happy. Expectations are set like oh by how years of experience you should have 10k. If you are earning good in mnc just be humble. Dont need to put others down and be kind.
You wont know if you need to apply for a role in govt sector in future.

Unregistered 25-09-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184142)
Depends on how big a difference. If few hundred dollars, just matter of 1-2 years to catch up. After that surely will exceed. Gov pay can never match tech companies

Yes gov pay cannot match tech companies, but this is referring to software engineering type roles. Shopee PM starts off at 4.2K per month. As an engineer in DSTA with 2 years exp, I'm at 100K pa. Any Shopee PM care to share their salary progression?