Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 21-01-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19901)
Would you consider A^STAR (I2R) as a Blue Chip company? I did my internship there for 6 months. Would that make a difference to an employer?

I woud not regard any local estabishment as blue chip unless you are talking about GIC or Temasek Holdings. Blue chips will be MNCs like Shell, Exxon, etc. because they have stringent entry requirements. Once employers see that you have worked there, it is like you have already passed Stage 1 of the quality test.

Unregistered 21-01-2012 09:45 AM

switching to finance
 
hi all im that ntu aerospace student in post #216 and thread pg 22.

After trying hard to gain as much finance knowledge as I can over the last semester I finally managed to get a foot into the banking industry. I have just been offered the role as a Summer Intern in one of foreign investment bank and they are offering a pay package of SGD 50,000 / Annum. Divide this number by 12 and you get more than SGD 4k / Month.

:D

Even an intern's pay in an investment banking beats an engineer slogging for a few years full-time. just a food for thought for my fellow engineers out there!

Unregistered 21-01-2012 09:48 AM

just to add
 
BTW all candidates that I met in the Assessment Centre are all first class honours and many of them are in the dean's list + double degrees

Unregistered 21-01-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19913)
hi all im that ntu aerospace student in post #216 and thread pg 22.

After trying hard to gain as much finance knowledge as I can over the last semester I finally managed to get a foot into the banking industry. I have just been offered the role as a Summer Intern in one of foreign investment bank and they are offering a pay package of SGD 50,000 / Annum. Divide this number by 12 and you get more than SGD 4k / Month.

:D

Even an intern's pay in an investment banking beats an engineer slogging for a few years full-time. just a food for thought for my fellow engineers out there!

U may be laughing now but let see how u perform .......don't come back in this thread crying later. It's just an intern job.

Anonymous 21-01-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19901)
Would you consider A^STAR (I2R) as a Blue Chip company? I did my internship there for 6 months. Would that make a difference to an employer?

wow you don't know what a blue chip company means and you didn't bother to google it. that would make a huge difference to an employer if he knows it.

Unregistered 21-01-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19915)
U may be laughing now but let see how u perform .......don't come back in this thread crying later. It's just an intern job.

Obviously, he hasn't seen the working world. Let not scare off the poor chap. He must be thinking that 4k is easy, probably his boss is gonna make full use of him by making him crunch numbers, burning his weekends as well as endless late nights.

I'm already thinking of some tough projects to throw to my interns when they report for work ;)

Unregistered 21-01-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19917)
Obviously, he hasn't seen the working world. Let not scare off the poor chap. He must be thinking that 4k is easy, probably his boss is gonna make full use of him by making him crunch numbers, burning his weekends as well as endless late nights.

I'm already thinking of some tough projects to throw to my interns when they report for work ;)

4k or even more is not that hard. All you need is gift of gab and look pretty.

Every Tom knows finance is an overpaid industry controlled by powerful people in US. Enjoy the party while it lasts. Some people predict this will last another 20 years, so all's good!

Anonymous 21-01-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19917)
Obviously, he hasn't seen the working world. Let not scare off the poor chap. He must be thinking that 4k is easy, probably his boss is gonna make full use of him by making him crunch numbers, burning his weekends as well as endless late nights.

I'm already thinking of some tough projects to throw to my interns when they report for work ;)

actually it doesn't really matter even if they make him slog. clock enough time and if he does okay, he could actually land a perm job there or in some other bank.

Unregistered 21-01-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19912)
I woud not regard any local estabishment as blue chip unless you are talking about GIC or Temasek Holdings. Blue chips will be MNCs like Shell, Exxon, etc. because they have stringent entry requirements. Once employers see that you have worked there, it is like you have already passed Stage 1 of the quality test.

u r really a joker - gic & temasek blue chips ?!?

Unregistered 21-01-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19922)
u r really a joker - gic & temasek blue chips ?!?

in terms of pay, they are.

just like: whether our ministers are blue chips is irrelevant. they are super highly paid.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2