Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 16-01-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19779)
yeah, that is my eventual plan la. to go into the finance sector. but i feel i need some engeering experience first, and i would just like to work for 2-3 years before furthering my studies.

After 2-3 years u find going into finance more remote. Today, you are 26 if you are male SG. after 3-years, u are 29. The ACC/BIZ girls already started their career in 21. Lucky girl will be manager by 25-26.

In SG where rank and seniority matters, for managers at 28-29 to take a junior executive under their wings at same age with them.

If you drag a few more years, u 31-32. better give up hope and settle as a goon engineer for and get condemn for the rest of your life. Thats y many smart engineer continue to do their engineering job despite more lucrative finance job.

This is the wickedness of NS. Foreigners and SG girls have time play around and settle a job many years after they started work. For boys, we are destroyed by NS.

By the way, if you grow old, u get kick like no body. PAP always brag job market how good how good, reality is Stanford phd also drive taxi.

I pity new graduate cannot get job. I once mention to my boss and HR that if company can hire from 7 billion all over the world, then many of our fresh grad get screwed. Many colleague to agree that NS screw us, you don really have time to find what you like. You must be settled by 30.

Listen to my advice with caveat. Maybe finance collapse tonite, and bankers become begger. Anyway, life is unpredictable.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19780)
After 2-3 years u find going into finance more remote. Today, you are 26 if you are male SG. after 3-years, u are 29. The ACC/BIZ girls already started their career in 21. Lucky girl will be manager by 25-26.

In SG where rank and seniority matters, for managers at 28-29 to take a junior executive under their wings at same age with them.

If you drag a few more years, u 31-32. better give up hope and settle as a goon engineer for and get condemn for the rest of your life. Thats y many smart engineer continue to do their engineering job despite more lucrative finance job.

This is the wickedness of NS. Foreigners and SG girls have time play around and settle a job many years after they started work. For boys, we are destroyed by NS.

By the way, if you grow old, u get kick like no body. PAP always brag job market how good how good, reality is Stanford phd also drive taxi.

I pity new graduate cannot get job. I once mention to my boss and HR that if company can hire from 7 billion all over the world, then many of our fresh grad get screwed. Many colleague to agree that NS screw us, you don really have time to find what you like. You must be settled by 30.

Listen to my advice with caveat. Maybe finance collapse tonite, and bankers become begger. Anyway, life is unpredictable.

hmm. fair enough. i wanna ask something tho. is there any chance of me being able to do MBA in uk/aus? i mean like after having 3 years of working experience. and money isn't a problem too.

if i am not wrong for MBA you need honours, which is something i do not have. i want to know cos i feel that for me, doing an engineering degree + mba would be the way to go.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19782)
hmm. fair enough. i wanna ask something tho. is there any chance of me being able to do MBA in uk/aus? i mean like after having 3 years of working experience. and money isn't a problem too.

if i am not wrong for MBA you need honours, which is something i do not have. i want to know cos i feel that for me, doing an engineering degree + mba would be the way to go.

I think its very easy to "buy" a degree from Au or UK. There are so many degree mill school. To be frank, I think there may be a blood letting in finance within this decade. Their profit is unsustainable.

If I am you today, I would migrate AU. I wont work for electronics or in production or RND or IT. I will go straight into mining. With over population, i think mining would be quite sustainable for decades.

AU instrumental/power engineers in mine can easily make AUD 10k ++ a year.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19783)
I think its very easy to "buy" a degree from Au or UK. There are so many degree mill school. To be frank, I think there may be a blood letting in finance within this decade. Their profit is unsustainable.

If I am you today, I would migrate AU. I wont work for electronics or in production or RND or IT. I will go straight into mining. With over population, i think mining would be quite sustainable for decades.

AU instrumental/power engineers in mine can easily make AUD 10k ++ a year.

haha yeah i know that singaporean engineers can actually be very successful in uk (aus i dunno). but ah i kind of want to settle down in sg, even tho its not really a good place to work at. been here for more than 15 years (i'm a PR btw. didn't have to do ns so i am actually 24) and i think sg is awesome to live in. plus my whole culture is singaporean already i don't know if i can bear to part with it

Unregistered 16-01-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19779)
yeah, that is my eventual plan la. to go into the finance sector. but i feel i need some engeering experience first, and i would just like to work for 2-3 years before furthering my studies.

Make up your mind. Do you want to do IT or finance? Trying to do a little of everything gets you no where.

If you want to do finance then just start in finance from the start. Why start in IT for a few years only to start thinking about doing finance? By then, you would have no experience in finance and have to start from the bottom again.

If you want to do IT then stick to IT and become the best. IT consultants earn quite well even though they only open mouth talk a bit (of course need to be good to be consultant la). Since you say you are extremely interested in IT, go and find out what is it about IT that you are interested in / good in. Is it programming? IT security? Cloud? Networking?

The thing about IT is that it keeps changing hence you have to keep learning. Are you willing to keep learning and go for certs to constantly improve yourself (well, you should be if you are really as interested in IT as you claim to be)? If not, then don't do IT since your knowledge will become obsolete very quickly and can be replaced by the tons of FTs around. If you are, then you won't die that badly doing IT if you become really good at it.

Warn you first, IT is not for the light-hearted and definitely not for people who are wishy-washy about what sort of career they want to have. Really, go and think about what you want to do for your career and FOCUS. Being half here half there is useless. You will only end up as someone who is below average at IT and below average at finance and being below average at anything (even in finance) doesn't pay well.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=Unregistered;19785]Warn you first, IT is not for the light-hearted.../QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant faint-hearted. Poor english on my part argh.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19785)
Make up your mind. Do you want to do IT or finance? Trying to do a little of everything gets you no where.

If you want to do finance then just start in finance from the start. Why start in IT for a few years only to start thinking about doing finance? By then, you would have no experience in finance and have to start from the bottom again.

If you want to do IT then stick to IT and become the best. IT consultants earn quite well even though they only open mouth talk a bit (of course need to be good to be consultant la). Since you say you are extremely interested in IT, go and find out what is it about IT that you are interested in / good in. Is it programming? IT security? Cloud? Networking?

The thing about IT is that it keeps changing hence you have to keep learning. Are you willing to keep learning and go for certs to constantly improve yourself (well, you should be if you are really as interested in IT as you claim to be)? If not, then don't do IT since your knowledge will become obsolete very quickly and can be replaced by the tons of FTs around. If you are, then you won't die that badly doing IT if you become really good at it.

Warn you first, IT is not for the light-hearted and definitely not for people who are wishy-washy about what sort of career they want to have. Really, go and think about what you want to do for your career and FOCUS. Being half here half there is useless. You will only end up as someone who is below average at IT and below average at finance and being below average at anything (even in finance) doesn't pay well.

yeah. i know IT isn't easy. Have always heard that from everyone. Anyway, i'll clarify.

I want to do IT right now, particularly programming. Programming because I'm good at it and I have had a lot of experience with it (for a ntu eee grad at least). so for at least 3 years, i would like to do that. after that, get an MBA and move to finance. isn't that most engineering students do?

i'd eventually like to be in finance. but i can't be in finance from the start cos i am a eee grad. i feel i have to get experience first instead of just doing some biz/acc degree in sim/mdis

Anonymous 16-01-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19787)
yeah. i know IT isn't easy. Have always heard that from everyone. Anyway, i'll clarify.

I want to do IT right now, particularly programming. Programming because I'm good at it and I have had a lot of experience with it (for a ntu eee grad at least). so for at least 3 years, i would like to do that. after that, get an MBA and move to finance. isn't that most engineering students do?

i'd eventually like to be in finance. but i can't be in finance from the start cos i am a eee grad. i feel i have to get experience first instead of just doing some biz/acc degree in sim/mdis

That's silly. If you want to do finance. Go straight in. Don't waste your time. They won't want you once you get older unless you have a very good MBA.

You like programming. Are you considering a career in quant finance then? I'd like to warn you first. You need to be very good in programming AND mathematics to do well in the field. By good, I mean you should be at the top end of first class honours (not those GPA scrape through kind of first class honours).

To get a sense, pls take a look at this solutions manual for stochastic calculus for continuous models via this link. These are solutions to questions from shreve's textbook. If after looking at it you think "well, with training, I can handle". By all means carry on. Otherwise, please just do an MBA and do normal company valuation stuff. Less math.

Solution Manual for Shreve 2_百度文库

Unregistered 16-01-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19787)

No. Those engineering students who do that do it because they can't succeed in engineering so they think that they can do better in finance (no guarantee that they can succeed in finance anyway) because of all the good news they hear on online forums and news of fresh grads earning 10k in banking while news about engineering is all gloomy and moody.

Oh and you don't need an MBA or biz/acc degree to get into finance/banking. Banks/financial industry take in anyone (even engineering graduates or arts graduates) as long as you are good enough. Same thing applies, you just need to get your foot in and work your way up (same for any industry really).

If you really want to do finance, then you can try applying for entry-level back office positions in the financial industry and excel in the interview if you get one. No harm trying.

Unregistered 16-01-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19789)
No. Those engineering students who do that do it because they can't succeed in engineering so they think that they can do better in finance (no guarantee that they can succeed in finance anyway) because of all the good news they hear on online forums and news of fresh grads earning 10k in banking while news about engineering is all gloomy and moody.

Oh and you don't need an MBA or biz/acc degree to get into finance/banking. Banks/financial industry take in anyone (even engineering graduates or arts graduates) as long as you are good enough. Same thing applies, you just need to get your foot in and work your way up (same for any industry really).

If you really want to do finance, then you can try applying for entry-level back office positions in the financial industry and excel in the interview if you get one. No harm trying.

That's silly. If you want to do finance. Go straight in. Don't waste your time. They won't want you once you get older unless you have a very good MBA.

You like programming. Are you considering a career in quant finance then? I'd like to warn you first. You need to be very good in programming AND mathematics to do well in the field. By good, I mean you should be at the top end of first class honours (not those GPA scrape through kind of first class honours).

To get a sense, pls take a look at this solutions manual for stochastic calculus for continuous models via this link. These are solutions to questions from shreve's textbook. If after looking at it you think "well, with training, I can handle". By all means carry on. Otherwise, please just do an MBA and do normal company valuation stuff. Less math.

Solution Manual for Shreve 2_百度文库

alright. thanks a lot for the replies and the insight.

no, my programming and math isn't that good that I can handle the stuff u posted on that link. atleast not right now.

anyway, yes, ideally i would want to be in finance and i have already considered joining back office positions in financial industires. just that i haven't really applied because I had a friend who tried for months trying to get into back office but didn't get a single interview. and he had 3rd class honours (not much but still better than me) so i readily assumed i won't stand a chance too.

personally, and i don't mean to brag or anything, i do wish i can land at least an interview because excelling at interviews is one of my strengths. right now, the problem is that all the jobs I've applied for, I haven't managed to get even a single interview.

then again, it's been only less than a month since I started applying. I'll let you guys know of any developments. thanks a lot once again for all the advice.