Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 27-01-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 20032)
No point dragging in politics when I don't even think you really understand what politics is all about, besides echoing some anti-ruling party slogans. Aren't you tired?

In the end whether or not one goes far in his career is about one's attitude, social skills and ability. It doesn't matter where you are. When you see people do well in the public sector, you automatically assume they are backstabbers. I'm sure when you see others doing better than you in the private sector, you will give similar negative comments. It all stems from your underlying disappointment in your own performance/career progression, as you see people leapfrog over you.

Suck it up. With your kind of negative disposition, always out to put people down, I'm not surprised if you are screwing up your career. I don't have anything else to add to this because at the end of the day, you're the one who has to deal with your screwed up career. Not me. And THAT is what really matters.

hey bro, you always avoid the topic. Tell me your opinion about civil service sex case leh. haha....

I have million dollar. You know i have many stooges. They always lick me up and prostitute themselves to me.

Even if you do not tell me, I know the answer. Anyone who is rich and power is correct. those who oppose them are bitter, bad PR, loser.

This is how your brains work.

Unregistered 28-01-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 19766)
you are quite suay,

my friend also EEE NTU, pass degree,

in ST engineering, working abt 6-7mth already...basic abt mid 3.1k..
going to get pro-rated bonus in march..total about 7k+ plus

Esp ST Aero, the pay is quite good and even better bonus, got NDP bonus, 13 months, Performance bonus in Mar/Apr, almost likely bonus all year round. A avg peformer can have at least 3-4 month bonus.

Anonymous 28-01-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20037)
hey bro, you always avoid the topic. Tell me your opinion about civil service sex case leh. haha....

I have million dollar. You know i have many stooges. They always lick me up and prostitute themselves to me.

Even if you do not tell me, I know the answer. Anyone who is rich and power is correct. those who oppose them are bitter, bad PR, loser.

This is how your brains work.

1. Im not your bro.

2. seriously, anyone here can tell u are not a millionaire simply based on profiling. from your work experience it is not hard to guess you have worked between 5-10 years, i.e. youre about mid 30s. for people of this age who are millionaires, they tend to fall under 3 categories:

1st type: inheritance/family wealth. u obviously don't fall under this group. I say this because most of these folks, especially the super-rich (from multi millionaire families) tend to be well schooled and they can usually speak and write pretty well. u are far short of this profile. There is another small sub-category of those who are rich due to small family business (e.g. trading, etc) and who choose not to pursue higher education but instead to take over the business. They tend not to be polished (similar to u) BUT they are highly unlikely to go into the public sector/take up a teaching job and suck at it. so you are not one of them either.

Second type: Young professionals who are successful in their careers. who managed to amass enough capital to have made a couple of wise investments during the last couple of cycles. they are usually well educated and have a fluent command of english. mostly finance professionals or lawyers. you dont have the calibre. period.

Third type: self made millionaires who set up and run their own business. usually by f&b, tech, or some consumer product line. these folks have to be able to build strong relationships with people. your pr skills really suck so you are not one of them. period.

by inference, your greatest chance of being a millionaire is actually through lottery (toto grp 1). the odds are not that fantastic. hence you are not a millionaire a.s.

3. your failure to comprehend simple logic is laughable. you even jumped to conclusions that i was pro-ruling party. my god. you keep speaking of prostitutes so it is obvious that u can't stop thinking of commercial sex either. pervert.

Unregistered 28-01-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 20081)
1. Im not your bro.

2. seriously, anyone here can tell u are not a millionaire simply based on profiling. from your work experience it is not hard to guess you have worked between 5-10 years, i.e. youre about mid 30s. for people of this age who are millionaires, they tend to fall under 3 categories:

1st type: inheritance/family wealth. u obviously don't fall under this group. I say this because most of these folks, especially the super-rich (from multi millionaire families) tend to be well schooled and they can usually speak and write pretty well. u are far short of this profile. There is another small sub-category of those who are rich due to small family business (e.g. trading, etc) and who choose not to pursue higher education but instead to take over the business. They tend not to be polished (similar to u) BUT they are highly unlikely to go into the public sector/take up a teaching job and suck at it. so you are not one of them either.

Second type: Young professionals who are successful in their careers. who managed to amass enough capital to have made a couple of wise investments during the last couple of cycles. they are usually well educated and have a fluent command of english. mostly finance professionals or lawyers. you dont have the calibre. period.

Third type: self made millionaires who set up and run their own business. usually by f&b, tech, or some consumer product line. these folks have to be able to build strong relationships with people. your pr skills really suck so you are not one of them. period.

by inference, your greatest chance of being a millionaire is actually through lottery (toto grp 1). the odds are not that fantastic. hence you are not a millionaire a.s.

3. your failure to comprehend simple logic is laughable. you even jumped to conclusions that i was pro-ruling party. my god. you keep speaking of prostitutes so it is obvious that u can't stop thinking of commercial sex either. pervert.

don be stupid la, stooge. hahaha.

Unregistered 28-01-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19600)
This is by far the most accurate salary description for engineer.

Yup. By far the most honest & accurate description for engineers. However, those wannabe engrs beware, Japanese co. salary are even worse than this.

Taking an example of 2 Hard Disk OEM jap co.

HOYA Magnetics (sold to WD) & Showa Denko. Their engineering managers salaries is starts from 4K. For Showa, if you dun get promoted, you dun get an increment at all. e.g. If I enter the co in 2010 and I am grade 1. I will b stuck at the pat for this grade until i am promoted. Recently, there was a corruption case in in co. Was in the news. Not surprise by their actions with such peanut pay. Just take a person who has less integrity to be corrupted.

Unregistered 28-01-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7909)
Engineer are a respectable lot in Countries like USA, Australia and UK. The type of engineer that makes a lot are those who work in the Oil/Gas/Mining Projects, not those who work for the operation of the finished plant or in the office in Singapore. While the job is challenging, you do expect to relocate to new places once the project is completed. Hence, the sacrifice could be quite alot especially if you have companion, and even worse if you have family.

I have worked my way up from a Project Engineer, then Engineering Manager and now Regional Manager. Looking back it had been been alot of hardwork and sacrifice I have put in, but financially it has been lucrative. I am beginning to see fruits of the hardship and plan to retire in my early 50s while my kids continue their tertially education overseas.

Bottom line is Engineering is a good career if you shape it the way you want it to be, otherwise, like all other discipline it could be another mundane dead end career.

I do not thk this guy is wrong except I felt he is skewed when he said engineers other than those in oil n gas do not make alot. In fact, this is only seen in Singapore and some asian countries. In Japan, US, Korea, Germany, France & even Ireland, engineers in serviing line & manufacturing can earn up to 7 to 10 K SGD with 5 yrs exp. I have liaise with IBM engrs in US. A HDD QA engr with 10 yrs can earn close to 10K SGD . QA usually stand low in a co.

Unregistered 28-01-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20087)
Yup. By far the most honest & accurate description for engineers. However, those wannabe engrs beware, Japanese co. salary are even worse than this.

Taking an example of 2 Hard Disk OEM jap co.

HOYA Magnetics (sold to WD) & Showa Denko. Their engineering managers salaries is starts from 4K. For Showa, if you dun get promoted, you dun get an increment at all. e.g. If I enter the co in 2010 and I am grade 1. I will b stuck at the pat for this grade until i am promoted. Recently, there was a corruption case in in co. Was in the news. Not surprise by their actions with such peanut pay. Just take a person who has less integrity to be corrupted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20087)
In typical private sector
engineer: 2-3k
senior engineer: 3.2-5k
principal engineer: above 5k

Ass Manager: above 5k
Manager: above 6k
Dept Manager: above 8k

----------------------------------------------------------------
Promotion prospect for above out of college average engineer

engineer Year 1- Year 3
If people does not give you senior engineer latest at the 5th year, they are telling you to go implicitly.

senior engineer Year 3 -
You can stuck here for rest of your life, but most engineer do not mind if their salary stagnant at around 5k

principal engineer/asst manager Year 8 -
With some luck, a boss who like you, and a reasonably good company, you may get principal engineer at Year 8, and stuck there for rest of your life.

DSTA, DSO, LTA....etc
engineer above 3k
5 years get 5k if you are good at stabbing people

Civil service pay for local non scholar graduate
above 3k
5 years get 5k if you are good at stabbing people

I look at the civil service salary forum, there are lots and lots of ******** similar to engineer salary forum. I am personally in ministry. Take 2nd lower honor teacher as example.

Join GEO 1: 3k
Year 1 after NIE GEO 1A1 : around 3.5k
Year 3-5 after NIE GEO 1A2 : above 5k

Turnover rate: horrible, within 5 years more than 50% resign despite good $$$. Being in ministry and private sector, I 1000% assured you that you find the most wicked people there in government job.

I am seeing lots and lots of ******** in salary forum. I think PAP is trying to paint a good picture.

This posting is response to idiots who tries to paint engineer salary more than 10 000 per month. the truth must be out. nevertheless these liars will always accuse dissenters as cannot-make-in bitter crackpot.

Unregistered 28-01-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 19549)
The data I gave earlier viz. "Computer and information systems manager – $9,751" is 3rd quartile data. He most likely belongs to the top band. Not surprising for monthly to be within 12-15k range. In other words, 190k is not out of a question. IT systems manager in a bank, is still IT/engineer isn't it? Just because you don't often see people making this level of income, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

No one here is saying that many engineers make good. That is not the case. Most engineers get stuck at a lower salary range. But that doesn't mean a handful can't survive and do well.

Being in the public service, you see people doing well and you automatically assume they are backstabbers. That to me, is a really nasty attitude and uncalled for. I know of many who cleared the 5k hurdle within the 5 years because they did well, and they are certainly nice, helpful people. What's wrong with you?

Yes there may be engineers who hit 5K after 5 years. But it's far n few. Even oil n gas won't be that much unless you add in the allowance & OT. But saying that, many engineers from other sectors may hit 5 K as well. Dun be surprise that some companies offer OT to these 'low pay' engrs. Tajke for example I have a fren who has a 2nd upper frm ntu (those that almost touch 1st class) working in DSO. After 13 yrs. 6K nia....snr or staff engr. Another fren of mine has a 1st class frm NUS took master....working in ESSO as an executive...now pay only abt 6.5K in basic he has worked for 10 yrs . So I dun thk many can hit 5 K in 5 yrs time .......not easy

Unregistered 28-01-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20096)
Yes there may be engineers who hit 5K after 5 years. But it's far n few. Even oil n gas won't be that much unless you add in the allowance & OT. But saying that, many engineers from other sectors may hit 5 K as well. Dun be surprise that some companies offer OT to these 'low pay' engrs. Tajke for example I have a fren who has a 2nd upper frm ntu (those that almost touch 1st class) working in DSO. After 13 yrs. 6K nia....snr or staff engr. Another fren of mine has a 1st class frm NUS took master....working in ESSO as an executive...now pay only abt 6.5K in basic he has worked for 10 yrs . So I dun thk many can hit 5 K in 5 yrs time .......not easy

count yourself lucky to write these things here without attracting poison detractors. They have been somehow more neutralize by truth-speakers. Earlier on this forum, they are really extremely acrimonious trying very best to hype up engineer's salary.

By the way, I knew few who can make more than 5k after 3-4 years. Those are normally FT indians who play race card. the hiring ft indian managers are willing to give them high pay and to put them in key positions. Their basic may be 4k++ to 5k but during the last decades of good years, if factor in their bonus, they would be equivalent to 5-6k of "normal" engineer pay.

I would like to tell u a personal story. I hate to work in banks because my religion forbids usury. So how do you do, my fellow christians and muslim bankerer?

I send an application to citi. WTF 3 interviewers all ft indians. I walk into their dept, CANNOT see one chinese.

Their questions are extremely poisonous, a few questions shows that managers do not understand the technical part but just to ******** and give me trouble. Nevertheless, they cannot find anything wrong with me.

A FT singh ask me to code a "singleton" real time.

A wrote a piece of code without declaring member "class pointers" to own class as "static". He looks ecstatic. He said, "i have no questions for you anymore".

Citi then inform me I do miserably.

Subsequently, I realise this is ft indian trick. they see u competent and ask until a question you dono. they say "i have no more question for you" and tell you interview over.

I asked an Indian friend. he is quite honest to tell me group-ism of ft indian community. he told me he cruise through interview without nasty questions and those interviewer treat him as buddy.

Unregistered 28-01-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20096)

I started in hp in 1999, retrenched in 2003, rehired as temp contractor in motorola, then got a process engineer role in a jap factory plant in 2005, pay was not more than 3k then.
At that time, i got into nus financial engineering masters course, got into a bank as credit analytics for basel implementation, now i join another foreign bank as a credit trader managing bank retained credit, total compensation is 250k this year.
I am not trying to show off but to tell my engineering bros not to give up, and be brave to venture uncharted waters, you will be rewarded much better than your current role