Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 03-04-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23271)
come on LTA is statboard, why they hire non-sg???

Is there a law that says statboard cannot hire foreigners? The last time I was in a stat board, they were already hiring foreigners (sorry fast-tracked Singaporeans) as engineers, and outsourcing some work to consultancies. Guess who the consultancy will hire? It is amazing that "engineers" that can't even write a full english sentence are now working as resident technical officers and engineers and ensuring the quality of our buildings and infrastructure.

Unregistered 03-04-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23273)
Is there a law that says statboard cannot hire foreigners? The last time I was in a stat board, they were already hiring foreigners (sorry fast-tracked Singaporeans) as engineers, and outsourcing some work to consultancies. Guess who the consultancy will hire? It is amazing that "engineers" that can't even write a full english sentence are now working as resident technical officers and engineers and ensuring the quality of our buildings and infrastructure.

Some MPs are also foreigners. One day we'll see a foreigner prime minister.

Unregistered 03-04-2012 11:10 PM

Engineers just have to be cheap.... Not required to speak five language or have super high IQ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23273)
It is amazing that "engineers" that can't even write a full english sentence are now working as resident technical officers and engineers and ensuring the quality of our buildings and infrastructure.

Unregistered 03-04-2012 11:50 PM

Nowadays everything has have and had been invented, pre-fab, standardized. The engineer is there to make the shareholders/venture cap happy nia, basically they are used to do sai kang

Unregistered 03-04-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23277)
Engineers just have to be cheap.... Not required to speak five language or have super high IQ..

No need to know English, don't need IQ. Just need to say yes and pretend to understand. Because in the end someone (some unfortunate Singaporean engineer) will do the work of ten FT(rash).

Unregistered 04-04-2012 04:20 PM

seriously nowadays the requirements posted on engineer job ads are a joke.

U go jobst and read up embedded/software engineer, they expect you to know shi+ and urine and maybe even farts. Seriously got people who know all those crap and still want to work for 1.8k/mth meh?

Unregistered 04-04-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23294)

U go jobst and read up embedded/software engineer, they expect you to know shi+ and urine and maybe even farts. Seriously got people who know all those crap and still want to work for 1.8k/mth meh?

If i am being offered a job as XX engineer for 1.8k/mth, i will straight away rejected and left. Come on, as well work as a waiter/waitress can possibly hit 2k/month nowadays, doing simple work & require a 'N' or 'O' level only.

Unregistered 04-04-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23294)

Go and work in sales in a bank. Much easier. Only need to look pretty and sweet talk to sell sell sell.

Unregistered 13-04-2012 10:56 PM

Info

Hi I have an offer from Keppel fels as a Superintendent .Just wanna confirm about the pay package As this is my fist job in offshore industry even thou I have many years experience in maintenance.

Actually is Superintendent considered as a degree level (I mean principal or chief engineer or below them ) Sorry for asking such silly questions :(

Any one here knows about the working environment/Pay scale/Bonus/Allowance?

Thanks

Unregistered 13-04-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23295)
If i am being offered a job as XX engineer for 1.8k/mth, i will straight away rejected and left. Come on, as well work as a waiter/waitress can possibly hit 2k/month nowadays, doing simple work & require a 'N' or 'O' level only.

Seriously? I was getting 2.5k already 14 years ago as a private tutor after A levels.