Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 10-03-2024 04:20 PM

Rdy for part b results?

Unregistered 10-03-2024 05:09 PM

When are the Part B results coming out? When will firms start offering retention?

Unregistered 10-03-2024 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270237)
When are the Part B results coming out? When will firms start offering retention?

Why need 4 months to mark mcq and 3 written paper?

Unregistered 10-03-2024 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270176)
Got sg firm that doesn’t front load meh?

A&G? 10 char

Unregistered 11-03-2024 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270167)
wah damn low. sucks to be you

in house job, got work life balance, leave by 6 no work on weekends, comfortable life.

no it does not suck to be me. i want to be me.

cheers

Unregistered 11-03-2024 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270282)
in house job, got work life balance, leave by 6 no work on weekends, comfortable life.

cheers

Did you study local? Or UK/Aus?

Unregistered 11-03-2024 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270257)
Why need 4 months to mark mcq and 3 written paper?

Relax, you’ll get it soon enough

Past years were 8 Mar and 21 Mar

Unregistered 11-03-2024 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270282)

cheers

Literally me as well. Good on you mate.

Unregistered 12-03-2024 12:19 AM

anyone heard of watiga before? seems like rubbish reviews on glassdoor

Unregistered 12-03-2024 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270261)
A&G? 10 char

A&G front load like **** sia what talking you

Unregistered 13-03-2024 12:15 AM

How’s the NQ pay at withers? Higher than Big 4?

Unregistered 13-03-2024 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270408)
A&G front load like **** sia what talking you

Don’t they pay the highest among the Big 4?

Unregistered 13-03-2024 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270514)
Don’t they pay the highest among the Big 4?

Front load and pay high two diff things. Afaik I don’t any sg firms don’t front load.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270528)
Front load and pay high two diff things. Afaik I don’t any sg firms don’t front load.

OP fail comprehension siol... Front load and high pay are two different concepts.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 04:07 PM

Can someone explain to me in simple terms what is so bad about frontloading practice?

At the end of the day, no difference to non-front-loaded structure if you compare your total comp on an annual basis right.

Plus, isn't it better to get your bonus component sooner rather than later? You can do more with it earlier, like put more in a HYSA account or invest it or whatever.

Anything I'm missing?

Unregistered 13-03-2024 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270555)
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what is so bad about frontloading practice?

At the end of the day, no difference to non-front-loaded structure if you compare your total comp on an annual basis right.

Plus, isn't it better to get your bonus component sooner rather than later? You can do more with it earlier, like put more in a HYSA account or invest it or whatever.

Anything I'm missing?

Good thing about front-loaded is if you decide you want to quit halfway, you already received some of your bonus. (every month your pay includes your front loaded bonus)

Bad thing about front-loaded is that your salary is not really as high as it is.
Eg: With the performance you made that year, the firm pays you 30k at end of financial year as a bonus. But the bonus you will actually receive from that "30k" is only 6k. because the "24k" has already been paid to you throughout the year in your monthly salary.

This means that on paper your salary is "high" and "competitive" but in actual fact it is low and dependent on you performing well. tldr: you are only getting 60-80% of the remuneration they offered when signing the employment contract.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270566)
Good thing about front-loaded is if you decide you want to quit halfway, you already received some of your bonus. (every month your pay includes your front loaded bonus)

Bad thing about front-loaded is that your salary is not really as high as it is.
Eg: With the performance you made that year, the firm pays you 30k at end of financial year as a bonus. But the bonus you will actually receive from that "30k" is only 6k. because the "24k" has already been paid to you throughout the year in your monthly salary.

This means that on paper your salary is "high" and "competitive" but in actual fact it is low and dependent on you performing well. tldr: you are only getting 60-80% of the remuneration they offered when signing the employment contract.

wow did not expect such a good explanation in a forum like this.

to add on to what this guy/girl said ^,

if you get 10k front loaded, means you actually only earn 7-8k per month, and the 2k + you get per month is actually based on your performance.

if you get 10k no front load, means you earn 10k per month, and you still get the full bonus based on your performance.

front load sucks.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270566)

I feel like this is a circular argument. The same can be said for the firm to have paid your bonus despite you not hitting your billables/under your billables. But I guess emotionally / coming from the POV of how you might feel, your “base pay” is not that far off your admin staff counter parts.

Only real downside I can see is precisely that the front load portion being a “bonus”, the firm is at liberty to claw it back when you decide to leave.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 10:28 PM

Hi all,

Is R and T the only firm which provides a 'retention bonus' to trainees who are retained? Anyone knows how much is this bonus?

Unregistered 14-03-2024 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270608)
Hi all,

Is R and T the only firm which provides a 'retention bonus' to trainees who are retained? Anyone knows how much is this bonus?

Not a lot. 3k

Unregistered 14-03-2024 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270595)
I feel like this is a circular argument. The same can be said for the firm to have paid your bonus despite you not hitting your billables/under your billables. But I guess emotionally / coming from the POV of how you might feel, your “base pay” is not that far off your admin staff counter parts.

Only real downside I can see is precisely that the front load portion being a “bonus”, the firm is at liberty to claw it back when you decide to leave.

Was always curious - is there actually a clawback if the assoc was determined to be a poor performer or does the firm let the poor performer keep his front loaded already-disbursed bonus?

Unregistered 14-03-2024 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270639)
Was always curious - is there actually a clawback if the assoc was determined to be a poor performer or does the firm let the poor performer keep his front loaded already-disbursed bonus?

Some firms remove front load when you tender, but doubt any reputable firms would claw back.

Front load is just annoying when they say your pay is comparable to your international firm friends but come bonus season you are behind.

Unregistered 14-03-2024 09:51 AM

Does anyone know the trainee pay for HSF singapore's training contract?

Unregistered 14-03-2024 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270627)
Not a lot. 3k

Ey don't play play, 3k can buy many many plates of cai fan.

Unregistered 14-03-2024 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270498)
How’s the NQ pay at withers? Higher than Big 4?

LOL it’s lower… please leave if you can it’s not worth it - look at LinkedIn too exit opportunities are not great… not sure why someone would want to train there in the first place

Unregistered 14-03-2024 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270595)

Hi I am not OP but just curious.. how the hell would anyone not be able to hit their billables? Like i been in practise for so long, I haven ever once not been able to hit my billables or gone beyond it, even straight after getting called.

If anyone has trouble hitting billables maybe they should re-evaluate if practise is for them because its literally the basic bare minimum.

Of course there will be months where you feel burnt out or have family issues to resolve but thats probably only 1 out of 12 months so your point is kinda invalid.

Its not a circular argument imo. Front loaded is bs and we need to stop defending it.

Unregistered 14-03-2024 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270689)
Hi I am not OP but just curious.. how the hell would anyone not be able to hit their billables? Like i been in practise for so long, I haven ever once not been able to hit my billables or gone beyond it, even straight after getting called.

If anyone has trouble hitting billables maybe they should re-evaluate if practise is for them because its literally the basic bare minimum.

Of course there will be months where you feel burnt out or have family issues to resolve but thats probably only 1 out of 12 months so your point is kinda invalid.

Its not a circular argument imo. Front loaded is bs and we need to stop defending it.

Not the poster who posted the 'circular argument' reply. I'm the initial poster who asked for someone to explain in simple terms why frontloading is bad.

But that's the thing though. I still haven't really seen any compelling reason which clearly explains why frontloading is such a bs practice.

On an annual comp basis, if one gets "$X" in total for the entire year, does it really matter whether "$X" is divided between higher monthly and lower end year bonus, vs lower monthly and higher end year bonus?

Unregistered 14-03-2024 10:01 PM

Anyone can point me to the post that Jerald Foo made a while ago warning of the perils of joining an international firm? I think it makes for excellent reading that all that glitters is not gold.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 12:53 AM

may i ask the law students out there: does a tenancy agreement require a court order to be enforced, in the event of refusal of rent payment by tenant?

if clause states "if rent unpaid for seven days [...] landlord shall be entitled to immediate take possession of the premises"

Unregistered 15-03-2024 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270726)
Not the poster who posted the 'circular argument' reply. I'm the initial poster who asked for someone to explain in simple terms why frontloading is bad.

But that's the thing though. I still haven't really seen any compelling reason which clearly explains why frontloading is such a bs practice.

On an annual comp basis, if one gets "$X" in total for the entire year, does it really matter whether "$X" is divided between higher monthly and lower end year bonus, vs lower monthly and higher end year bonus?

Say you are paid $4,500 per month (that’s your base).
But if firms were to pay $4,500 per month, no one would join.

So to entice young associates, they pay $6,000 for instance. But the $1,500 is frontloaded.

Which means when you get your bonus of 2-3 months, it is based on the $4,500 per month. So if you calculated $4,500 x 3 months (bonus) it’s equal to $13,500 which is 2.25 months on $6,000 salary.

In firms that don’t practice front load, it means your bonus of 3-4 months is based on $7,500. That’s the meaning

Unregistered 15-03-2024 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270769)
may i ask the law students out there: does a tenancy agreement require a court order to be enforced, in the event of refusal of rent payment by tenant?

if clause states "if rent unpaid for seven days [...] landlord shall be entitled to immediate take possession of the premises"

Don't try to get free legal advice here man.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 12:55 PM

When SILE releasing part B results?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270795)
Say you are paid $4,500 per month (that’s your base).
But if firms were to pay $4,500 per month, no one would join.

So to entice young associates, they pay $6,000 for instance. But the $1,500 is frontloaded.

Which means when you get your bonus of 2-3 months, it is based on the $4,500 per month. So if you calculated $4,500 x 3 months (bonus) it’s equal to $13,500 which is 2.25 months on $6,000 salary.

In firms that don’t practice front load, it means your bonus of 3-4 months is based on $7,500. That’s the meaning

Got it. At the end of the day, I think most firms are sneaky enough to work out their true "budget" on how much to pay their associates per year (inclusive of bonus component). They're already pretty much committed to paying, say $120k p/a for some junior associate based on expected revenue per lawyer. Then they shift some numbers around to make the monthly comp look attractive.

Unless you're in DSC team or some hard charging team, few big local firms really splash out bonuses based on discrete / measurable targets. It's all very nebulous and non transparent.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 07:53 PM

Does failing Part B affect retention in B4? I am quite worried.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270872)

It may. Should consider applying out

Unregistered 15-03-2024 09:40 PM

Do u guys know part b passing rate

Unregistered 16-03-2024 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270904)
Do u guys know part b passing rate

According to pass stats >90%. That’s the whole reason why they are reforming. Shld reconsider career path if you fail part b.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270872)

So easy still fail?

Unregistered 16-03-2024 12:42 PM

Admission and background declaration

What do you think of those that disclosed their prior misdeeds during admission and had their names splashed all over the papers? Even for those that were granted admission, do you think they will ever find employment in the legal industry? Why are such admission decisions published only recently during the last few years and not previously during the prior decades?

Unregistered 16-03-2024 04:35 PM

What is the street view on Danny Quah of CHP law?