Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 25-03-2024 11:55 AM

Which is the best b4 for litigation?

Unregistered 25-03-2024 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272223)
~$250k all in for newly minted junior partners at Big 4

Where you get 250k from? Heard its around 350k pa leh.

Also all those talking about "front loaded" and how its around 14-15k clearly dont know what theyre talking. JPs get a cut of what they bill, which is quite substantial. Does anyone know how much of their billings they keep?

Unregistered 25-03-2024 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272391)
Where you get 250k from? Heard its around 350k pa leh.

Also all those talking about "front loaded" and how its around 14-15k clearly dont know what theyre talking. JPs get a cut of what they bill, which is quite substantial. Does anyone know how much of their billings they keep?

I like how everything you quote is hearsay but you say it with utmost confidence and certainty. You will do well at certain law firms lol.

Unregistered 25-03-2024 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272415)
I like how everything you quote is hearsay but you say it with utmost confidence and certainty. You will do well at certain law firms lol.

Typical toxic forum troll. It’s quite well known JPs get a cut of what they bill, and if you have reliable sources that they don’t, then just share what you’ve heard? Why you need to flex you know what “hearsay” means lol. We’re all just trying to figure out what the very opaque pay structure is here.

Unregistered 25-03-2024 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272420)
Typical toxic forum troll. It’s quite well known JPs get a cut of what they bill, and if you have reliable sources that they don’t, then just share what you’ve heard? Why you need to flex you know what “hearsay” means lol. We’re all just trying to figure out what the very opaque pay structure is here.

JP got a cut of what they bill meh? Isn’t that eating equity of the files? Isn’t JP just a trumped up SA with BD duties

Unregistered 25-03-2024 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272427)
JP got a cut of what they bill meh? Isn’t that eating equity of the files? Isn’t JP just a trumped up SA with BD duties

My senior whos a JP told me they get a cut ah - yes it eats the equity of the files but the amount they get is far less than what the EP themselves keep.

Unregistered 25-03-2024 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272220)
Who’s better Mahesh Rai or Adam Maniam?

Mahesh team has 20 people including ex ICC head. Adam team does workman compensation.

Should be quite clear?

Unregistered 25-03-2024 04:23 PM

How much does a NQ earn in CC?

Unregistered 25-03-2024 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272433)
My senior whos a JP told me they get a cut ah - yes it eats the equity of the files but the amount they get is far less than what the EP themselves keep.

Don’t mind sharing what firm ah cos from my understanding b4 the JPs (promotion immediately after SA) don’t take equity

Unregistered 25-03-2024 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272459)
Don’t mind sharing what firm ah cos from my understanding b4 the JPs (promotion immediately after SA) don’t take equity

The liti heavy b4 that operates very team based

Unregistered 25-03-2024 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272434)
Mahesh team has 20 people including ex ICC head. Adam team does workman compensation.

Should be quite clear?

Then why is Adam acting like next ceo of drew

Unregistered 26-03-2024 12:12 AM

Anyone knows how many trainees HSF and Sidley take for E&W TC? And are they mostly local or overseas grads

Unregistered 27-03-2024 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272491)
Then why is Adam acting like next ceo of drew

Is he Andre Maniams brother?

Unregistered 28-03-2024 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272629)

Looks quite different ley.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 01:31 AM

how are the exit opportunities for A&G funds and M&A?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272629)

His brother is Aaron Maniam, some high ranking civil servant

Unregistered 29-03-2024 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272908)
how are the exit opportunities for A&G funds and M&A?

Not as good as it once was

Unregistered 31-03-2024 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272918)

Both look like they make prata at my coffeeshop

Unregistered 31-03-2024 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273155)
Both look like they make prata at my coffeeshop

This level of gossip/**** talk is lame even with a very generous and charitable patronage. Shame.

Unregistered 31-03-2024 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272996)
Not as good as it once was

A&G funds is a joke. Not that it was particularly sophisticated before under Danny, but now it's being led by a REITs partner. C'mon.

A&G M&A is not as strong as it once was. Average quality of associates has dropped. Associates are clearing out every 2-3 years - not enough time for partners to ensure consistent quality.

Unregistered 31-03-2024 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272918)

Does that explain the hawk siong sized chip on the shoulder?

Unregistered 31-03-2024 11:07 PM

When’s a good time to jump to intl firms?
Am in big 4 Corp

An acquaintance jumped recently to leading intl firm, but his/her PQE is low
So I was wondering - what’s a safe PQE personally to have learnt enough

Unregistered 01-04-2024 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273293)
A&G funds is a joke. Not that it was particularly sophisticated before under Danny, but now it's being led by a REITs partner. C'mon.

A&G M&A is not as strong as it once was. Average quality of associates has dropped. Associates are clearing out every 2-3 years - not enough time for partners to ensure consistent quality.

It was a tremendous blow that Danny left.

Unregistered 01-04-2024 01:32 PM

Those one man show lawyer law firm, 1 year can earn how much?

Unregistered 01-04-2024 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273330)

Who is Danny? Danny Quah? Danny Ong? Danny Maniam?

Unregistered 01-04-2024 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272501)
Anyone knows how many trainees HSF and Sidley take for E&W TC? And are they mostly local or overseas grads

According to their website HSF takes 4-5. Heard Sidley takes 1-2 per year. Can't find any on linkedin though

Unregistered 02-04-2024 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273309)
When’s a good time to jump to intl firms?
Am in big 4 Corp

An acquaintance jumped recently to leading intl firm, but his/her PQE is low
So I was wondering - what’s a safe PQE personally to have learnt enough

Not sure if there's a "best time" to go. Asking if you've "learnt enough" assumes that you stop learning once you leave to an international firm, and/or that you only learn at big4. Neither is necessarily true - there are big4 teams that are absolutely crap for learning and there are international firm teams that are great for learning.

So, the answer to your question is, just do your diligence on the team you're looking to join (whether international firm or not), and ask around.

Unregistered 02-04-2024 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273330)

cmon bro danny is a joke too. any person that peddles the VCC as an ideal fund vehicle for closed-end funds doesn't know what they're talking about.

Unregistered 02-04-2024 10:22 PM

How is Shaun Leong. Is he in same category as Adam Maniam or better? Considering offers from both teams.

Unregistered 03-04-2024 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273610)
How is Shaun Leong. Is he in same category as Adam Maniam or better? Considering offers from both teams.

Both not impressive but Shaun is arguably more of a joke. I hear he has almost be law soc complaint a few occasions.

Unregistered 04-04-2024 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272358)
I had been an emotional support dog for a lawyer (she is my senior) in my firm. basically it is her trauma dumping on me for hours every week (ask me to listen to her personal problems, come to get her when she gets depressed over ridiculous relationship, stay back to comfort her) to the point I got fed up. this is out of my job scope.

after I left I gradually cut off contact and straightaway ghosted her. now I am having second thoughts -seniors with similar experiences - do you guys think it is the right move?

I also have a senior like that. I cut off after giving it 2 weeks. Everybody has their own lives to live. Focus on your own life. What I found out is that people like them are very selfish! Put your own needs first!

Unregistered 04-04-2024 10:26 AM

Got called to the bar, joined a small law firm with starting pay 5k+, boss was micromanaging me, gaslighting me, did not provide what he promised me during the interview (area of practice etc and case files etc), was not given proper guidance, and had to work 7 day work weeks for 5 consecutive weeks.

On the 6th week, I was able to go out with my parents once and I planned a full day outing with them just to spend time with family. I got called by my boss at 9am asking if I could come to the office to do work again. I told him that I was out then and can come to the office at night if absolutely necessary. He hung up and called me again at 12pm when I was having lunch with my parents. I told him I was still out and he said, I quote, "you have already been out with them for 3 hours". This was after 5 weeks of 7 day work week and on a weekend nonetheless.

I immediately tendered my resignation on Monday and he came to talk to me, offered me a pay raise and apologized for all the abovementioned and asked me to consider staying. I said I would think about it and get back to him the next day. (I did not think about it, I just wanted him to take the time to reflect on his attitude). I told him the next day that I was not intending to stay and he immediately said that he withdrew his apology because it was my fault for misleading him on that weekend by not telling him that I was out with my parents and made him assume that I was free to come to the office to work.

That short period of time in that firm felt like forever. I have now moved in house and everyone is an angel. pay wise took a small cut but believe me, even if the pay cut was even bigger than it is, I would still take it. Have never been happier. I now can do whatever the hell I want with my free time, I am respected at work, am not being gaslighted and do not have to walk on eggshells.

Just writing this post to let people know how toxic the work environment in law firms can be especially if they are led by boomers who think your entire life revolves around them because they pay you a measly salary (which you are completely entitled to given the amount of billables you bring in for them).

I recently heard from an ex-colleague that said boss is struggling to find a new associate who can tolerate him. For new grads/newly called to the bar juniors, please do your research on the attrition rate at the firm before signing the contract. On hindsight, I should have recognised the red flags when the predecessors/legal execs/paralegals resigned 2-3 weeks after joining.

Unregistered 04-04-2024 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273773)
Got called to the bar, joined a small law firm with starting pay 5k+, boss was micromanaging me, gaslighting me, did not provide what he promised me during the interview (area of practice etc and case files etc), was not given proper guidance, and had to work 7 day work weeks for 5 consecutive weeks.

On the 6th week, I was able to go out with my parents once and I planned a full day outing with them just to spend time with family. I got called by my boss at 9am asking if I could come to the office to do work again. I told him that I was out then and can come to the office at night if absolutely necessary. He hung up and called me again at 12pm when I was having lunch with my parents. I told him I was still out and he said, I quote, "you have already been out with them for 3 hours". This was after 5 weeks of 7 day work week and on a weekend nonetheless.

I immediately tendered my resignation on Monday and he came to talk to me, offered me a pay raise and apologized for all the abovementioned and asked me to consider staying. I said I would think about it and get back to him the next day. (I did not think about it, I just wanted him to take the time to reflect on his attitude). I told him the next day that I was not intending to stay and he immediately said that he withdrew his apology because it was my fault for misleading him on that weekend by not telling him that I was out with my parents and made him assume that I was free to come to the office to work.

That short period of time in that firm felt like forever. I have now moved in house and everyone is an angel. pay wise took a small cut but believe me, even if the pay cut was even bigger than it is, I would still take it. Have never been happier. I now can do whatever the hell I want with my free time, I am respected at work, am not being gaslighted and do not have to walk on eggshells.

Just writing this post to let people know how toxic the work environment in law firms can be especially if they are led by boomers who think your entire life revolves around them because they pay you a measly salary (which you are completely entitled to given the amount of billables you bring in for them).

I recently heard from an ex-colleague that said boss is struggling to find a new associate who can tolerate him. For new grads/newly called to the bar juniors, please do your research on the attrition rate at the firm before signing the contract. On hindsight, I should have recognised the red flags when the predecessors/legal execs/paralegals resigned 2-3 weeks after joining.

Very common nowadays, glad to hear that you are out of that toxic environment.

4 PQE here, i only survived the harsh work place and working hours because I had good colleagues and seniors to vent my frustrations to and from the good advice they gave me in scenarios I could never fathom of.

Am getting base 12k+ right now so its not that high but given the situation, I can call myself lucky that I am have a decent team to work in and do not have to bend over backwards for boomers.

Wish you the best in your in house role. Pay is nothing if you do not have time to spend it.

Unregistered 04-04-2024 05:29 PM

Quote:

Please say who this boss/firm is. It is an anonymous forum and you would be doing us all a favour.

Unregistered 04-04-2024 06:39 PM

Quote:

Did you study local or overseas? Don’t mind me asking

Unregistered 04-04-2024 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273758)
I also have a senior like that. I cut off after giving it 2 weeks. Everybody has their own lives to live. Focus on your own life. What I found out is that people like them are very selfish! Put your own needs first!

I tolerated her close to a year. I even cut off contact with our mutual colleagues whom I actually like cos i do not want any relationship with her outside of work lol

knnccb told me to help her take slippers from office cos she wearing heels and her feet hurts. it is just a ****ing short distance like a 5 minute walk. it is very hard to say no cos if u think about it it is a very simple request. but when ur colleagues see it they will think you are a kissass.

listen to her always saying she is a lady of class and never failing to mention about her affluent family background and talk about her self inflicted problems all in the same vein.

if u r reading this I just want to say you are ****ing annoying and idgaf about ur ****ing problems lol

Unregistered 04-04-2024 07:27 PM

Quote:

Don’t mind me asking, are you from local or foreign Uni?

Unregistered 04-04-2024 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273836)
I tolerated her close to a year. I even cut off contact with our mutual colleagues whom I actually like cos i do not want any relationship with her outside of work lol

knnccb told me to help her take slippers from office cos she wearing heels and her feet hurts. it is just a ****ing short distance like a 5 minute walk. it is very hard to say no cos if u think about it it is a very simple request. but when ur colleagues see it they will think you are a kissass.

listen to her always saying she is a lady of class and never failing to mention about her affluent family background and talk about her self inflicted problems all in the same vein.

if u r reading this I just want to say you are ****ing annoying and idgaf about ur ****ing problems lol

So much bravado but no b**ls to name the perpetuator on an anonymous forum. No wonder got asked to carry slippers. Tsk.

Unregistered 04-04-2024 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273836)

Lol. Sounds exactly like my former boss. Congratulations on not being an emotional tampon for people lime her. Being too nice is very painful. Learn from this mistake and never make it again. I hope I don't too ;)

Unregistered 04-04-2024 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273827)
Did you study local or overseas? Don’t mind me asking

Does it matter? The legal industry operates on who you know, not what you know.