Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 16-03-2023 10:16 AM

opps for trainees to move to international firms?

Unregistered 16-03-2023 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242542)
opps for trainees to move to international firms?

lol asking again?

Unregistered 16-03-2023 06:17 PM

I am a PQE 3 in B4, doing civil litigation. The stress and long hours are taking a toil on my mental health and well being. Right now, my only coping mechanism to relieve stress is paid commercial sex at Geylang. However, I also suffer from guilt after each session and fear that I may catch a nasty std in the long run. I wonder if I should move in house to seek better work life balance. What are my exit options?

Unregistered 16-03-2023 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242618)
I am a PQE 3 in B4, doing civil litigation. The stress and long hours are taking a toil on my mental health and well being. Right now, my only coping mechanism to relieve stress is paid commercial sex at Geylang. However, I also suffer from guilt after each session and fear that I may catch a nasty std in the long run. I wonder if I should move in house to seek better work life balance. What are my exit options?

Just move the sex in house

Unregistered 16-03-2023 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242627)
Just move the sex in house

so

external counsel = wh*res. they charge by the hr
inhouse counsel = gf/wife. do not charge by the hr but you pay their "salaries"
DoNotPay = wa*king. you DIY

Unregistered 16-03-2023 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242595)
lol asking again?

Appreciate all the help I can get

Unregistered 17-03-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242618)

Your exit options? CIM or COF is the most shiok💦

Unregistered 17-03-2023 12:01 PM

What needs to be declared in the admission affidavit under para 7? How is it checked?

Unregistered 17-03-2023 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242716)
What needs to be declared in the admission affidavit under para 7? How is it checked?

what you steal? other people's work or eye shadow?

Unregistered 18-03-2023 11:41 AM

Llm

Junior litigation and arbitration lawyer from one of the local unis. Been thinking about applying to do a masters for the experience of studying and living abroad, branding and networking. Possibly even working abroad for 2 years. What do you all think about the worth of a Harvard LLM, Oxford BCL and Cambridge LLM. Specifically interested in the Cambridge LLM because of personal reasons. Would it make a difference to my profile and appeal to recruiters and firms (both international and local), and is the Cambridge LLM significantly less prestigious than the Harvard LLM or Oxford BCL. I see a number of judges having the Cambridge LLM, but I keep hearing that the other two are much highly regarded.

Appreciate any constructive views given the financial costs involved. Thanks a million in advance!

Unregistered 18-03-2023 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242917)
Junior litigation and arbitration lawyer from one of the local unis. Been thinking about applying to do a masters for the experience of studying and living abroad, branding and networking. Possibly even working abroad for 2 years. What do you all think about the worth of a Harvard LLM, Oxford BCL and Cambridge LLM. Specifically interested in the Cambridge LLM because of personal reasons. Would it make a difference to my profile and appeal to recruiters and firms (both international and local), and is the Cambridge LLM significantly less prestigious than the Harvard LLM or Oxford BCL. I see a number of judges having the Cambridge LLM, but I keep hearing that the other two are much highly regarded.

Appreciate any constructive views given the financial costs involved. Thanks a million in advance!

Cambridge LLM is slightly less prestigious but it doesn't really matter from a private practice standpoint, as employers care more about your experience and grades. All three are considered brand name unis and which you choose won't be the deciding factor.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 04:57 PM

Hey guys. I am a local uni grad, 31M, called in 2018, working in-house at a big MNC. Currently getting 9.4K. Bonus has been decent at 3-6 months. Would be keen to hear what other fellow 5 PQE in-house counsels are drawing.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 04:59 PM

anyone know why lock yin mei left a&o

Unregistered 18-03-2023 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242966)
anyone know why lock yin mei left a&o

She reached retirement age. A&O’s retirement age is 55.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243000)
She reached retirement age. A&O’s retirement age is 55.

Sure boh! Heard their politics inside very serious one. Always love to bully the chinese partners.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242963)
Hey guys. I am a local uni grad, 31M, called in 2018, working in-house at a big MNC. Currently getting 9.4K. Bonus has been decent at 3-6 months. Would be keen to hear what other fellow 5 PQE in-house counsels are drawing.

I am a local grad with 1 pqe less than you and am currently in a bank. My salary is about 25% more. Bonus is around 3-6 months as well. I felt that my pay is currently on the low-average level.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243087)
I am a local grad with 1 pqe less than you and am currently in a bank. My salary is about 25% more. Bonus is around 3-6 months as well. I felt that my pay is currently on the low-average level.

OP here. Damn, if you feel that you’re on the low-average scale, that means I’m seriously underpaid.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 10:18 PM

how can 1pqe be inhouse counsel? usually it is 3-6 years practice then can go inhouse

Unregistered 19-03-2023 10:47 PM

Quote:

u sure or not? which bank willing to pay 1pqe inhouse so much i oso wan

Unregistered 20-03-2023 12:11 AM

1 PQE less, not 1 PQE

Unregistered 20-03-2023 12:28 AM

The amount of stupid people in this board who can’t read reaches new highs everyday.

Thanks to the two posters above shedding light on inhouse pay. Would be good to hear from others in different companies and industries.

Am still in PP so no details to give sorry!

Unregistered 20-03-2023 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243126)
The amount of stupid people in this board who can’t read reaches new highs everyday.

Thanks to the two posters above shedding light on inhouse pay. Would be good to hear from others in different companies and industries.

Am still in PP so no details to give sorry!

makes you wonder how many of the posts/replies are actually from lawyers with practice experience

Unregistered 20-03-2023 09:57 AM

thoughts on ubs acquisition of cs?

Unregistered 20-03-2023 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243108)
OP here. Damn, if you feel that you’re on the low-average scale, that means I’m seriously underpaid.

There has been a legal industry wide pay bump across Singapore law firms and international law firms. I moved after the industry wide pay bump so that was likely a reason for the higher pay.

Anecdotally, I have heard of friends/ friends of friends who are getting quite a bit more in house, albeit in some tech firms and more prestigious banks.

I think we need more people to share in order to fill a fuller picture. Otherwise the information asymmetry is real. So to all the lurkers out there, please do share!

I’ll ignore the doubters and trolls.

Unregistered 21-03-2023 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243008)
Sure boh! Heard their politics inside very serious one. Always love to bully the chinese partners.

K lor if you heard then it must be true.

Unregistered 22-03-2023 05:56 AM

Harvard obviously. Go big or go home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242941)
Cambridge LLM is slightly less prestigious but it doesn't really matter from a private practice standpoint, as employers care more about your experience and grades. All three are considered brand name unis and which you choose won't be the deciding factor.

Unregistered 22-03-2023 08:15 AM

failed 3 subjects for part b feeling super demoralized despite studying very hard

Unregistered 22-03-2023 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243237)
K lor if you heard then it must be true.

Same thing happened to kenny kwan. Offended the ang mohs and got kicked out lol.

Unregistered 22-03-2023 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243368)
failed 3 subjects for part b feeling super demoralized despite studying very hard

at least there’s no limit to the number of papers you can retake this year. jiayous!

Unregistered 22-03-2023 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243116)
u sure or not? which bank willing to pay 1pqe inhouse so much i oso wan

so many blind fks, don't know how you guys become a lawyer.... better work in chinatown firm don't sabo clients

Unregistered 22-03-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243369)
Same thing happened to kenny kwan. Offended the ang mohs and got kicked out lol.

damn... is he still at baker?

Unregistered 22-03-2023 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243369)

Who ang moh there? Andrew Martin?

Unregistered 22-03-2023 09:43 PM

Debby lim at dentons good? Just saw her podcast.

Unregistered 22-03-2023 11:44 PM

Quote:

4PQE here. Left when I was at 2PQE. Drawing $15k in a local bank.

Unregistered 23-03-2023 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243455)

After bonus or before?

Unregistered 23-03-2023 10:25 AM

Quote:

Oh wow that’s on the (very) high side for local banks. Could you share a bit on your background. Were you training/practicing in a UK law firm and is the PQE scale based on the UK scale instead of Singapore scale?

Unregistered 23-03-2023 10:39 AM

I am working at a financial institution in-house. Hours are about 9-7 but I find it very intense too. Always getting scolded at work and very busy throughout the day. Any thoughts? Is this normal?

Unregistered 23-03-2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243374)
at least there’s no limit to the number of papers you can retake this year. jiayous!

And please do not cheat, have integrity and be an honourable person.

Speaking of which how are the cheaters doing 1 year on

Unregistered 23-03-2023 02:33 PM

Quote:

This guy ********ting. Local bank dont pay 15k for junior legal counsels.

Unregistered 23-03-2023 09:13 PM

deluge of litigation advisory work for credit suisse AT1 bondholders by singapore based family offices? anybody got any scoop on the deets?