Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 25-04-2024 09:02 AM

Can ask - when NQs to be get called in August, whats the big 4 salary range for NQs?

Some say 6.7K, some say 7.2K and yet some say 7.8K??

Unregistered 25-04-2024 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276488)
Can ask - when NQs to be get called in August, whats the big 4 salary range for NQs?

Upon mass call in Aug, NQ is ~7k for Big4.

Logic would dictate that it cannot be ~ 6.7k, since GES 2023 results already puts the median starting at 7k, and GES survey is normally done during Nov to Dec every year.

7.8k is probably referring to 1PQE, which newly called junior associates will be regarded as, upon Jan of the immediate next calendar year.

Unregistered 25-04-2024 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276508)

Logic would dictate that it cannot be ~ 6.7k, since GES 2023 results already puts the median starting at 7k, and GES survey is normally done during Nov to Dec every year.

7.8k is probably referring to 1PQE, which newly called junior associates will be regarded as, upon Jan of the immediate next calendar year.

Can revolt for higher pay. Hearsay got precedent

Unregistered 25-04-2024 06:47 PM

How much do legal executives get paid during the period between end of TC and before being called?

Unregistered 25-04-2024 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276406)
Regarding the Nadine v Ethan Ong saga, I personally feel like Nadine was out of line. She has no interest in the matter, tried to be a SJW and land a punch in order to seek some online fame/attention.

In the end, she got punched back and is constantly putting up social media posts for attention despite saying she is not looking for attention/pity/gofundme.

If you are reading this Nadine, I hope this is a wake up call for you that the real world is merciless. As you are a year 2 Law Student in one of the most prestigious law schools in the world, I find it absolutely unacceptable that you did not even consider the consequences of your actions. I hope that game you are playing, "genshin shitpack" or whatever it is called keeps your mental health in check, because when you tried to post such remarks online about someone else, they had to keep their mental health in check too.

I don't feel sorry for you in the least bit. In fact I hope your parents pay the full price of it i.e. the law suit etc. It is partially their fault for not grooming your EQ. Hope this is a valuable lesson you will take to the grave. No one is buying your "financial difficulties" issue either. You started this, you should see it through. Maybe you can earn back some decency/dignity or people's respect once you paid your dues.

If Ethan is reading this, just note that my opinion above is solely on your choice to take legal action, and has nothing to do with the events beforehand i.e. the alcohol incident. That is a different matter, not saying I agree or disagree regardless.

Lmao I’m surprised you could type this drivel out since you apparently have your hands full giving Ethan a shitty handjob.

Unregistered 25-04-2024 09:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks very much for the info, appreciate it. Just a side note, this is knowledge and research and not quite about what logic “dictates”.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276488)

A&G market leader and best firm in SG 7k 10 char

Unregistered 26-04-2024 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276579)
Thanks very much for the info, appreciate it. Just a side note, this is knowledge and research and not quite about what logic “dictates”.

Appreciate the unnecessary comment about a trivial turn of phrase. Charming

Unregistered 26-04-2024 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276563)
Lmao I’m surprised you could type this drivel out since you apparently have your hands full giving Ethan a shitty handjob.

Why is what he said considered nonsense though? I feel the same to be honest. Ethan’s legal actions are justified. It’s about time SJW like Nadine learnt the harsh truth of reality, that you cannot get away with anything just because you cry financial difficulties or feign mental health problems. Don’t start problems you cannot solve.

One could also argue that you’re a simp for defending Nadine’s actions.

In any event, you can say all you want but Nadine has to apologise on social media and still has to bear the brunt of her actions. I think this is the justice we need. Imagine being a law student and getting fked over by what you’re learning. The irony is real.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 09:13 AM

Quote:

Do you understand what median means?

Unregistered 26-04-2024 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276625)
Do you understand what median means?

Median means the figure cited is probably equal or lower than Big4, if you have even an inkling of understanding about lawyers' salary market in Singapore.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276641)
Median means the figure cited is probably equal or lower than Big4, if you have even an inkling of understanding about lawyers' salary market in Singapore.

Don't be too harsh on him. Law sch doesn't adequately teach people how to draw inferences from datasets.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276641)

You’re a troll if you think GES means ****. My junior got offered 6.8k at big4. Depends on experience, resume, how much they like you etc.

Only a fool would say there is a benchmark for salary for all NQs. Room temperature IQ also will know. Sadly common sense isn’t so common anymore.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276646)
Don't be too harsh on him. Law sch doesn't adequately teach people how to draw inferences from datasets.

Hi. 9 PQE here. Just wanted to say that the data presented by said study is not entirely accurate. The amount the firm pays our NQs are not codified or follow a fixed set of rules. At least that’s what I know from my discussions with HR.

When I see a freshly called lawyer, especially if it’s an interview for a job setting, I usually look at how his body language first. After that I ask questions and based on the replies I get, determine whether he or she will be a good fit in the team.

The salary I would say also differs from person to person. Don’t believe there is any benchmark or ceiling. At least not from the ones I recommend to HR.

If the person comes out to me as knowledgeable, respectful and willing to learn, I would have a good impression compared to a NQ that says rubbish and acts arrogant.

For example, if an NQ says something like “logic would dictate that…” I would not have a very good impression of him/her because to me it sounds like he thinks he is better than everyone. This kind of character would not do well in a law firm so chances are, I would not want him in my team.

But if the person talks like this:
“I am a blank sheet of paper, a freshly called graduate but I am willing to learn.” Then it’s a whole different story.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 02:30 PM

Quote:

May I ask, if the median starting is 7k, why can’t it be 6.7k? I don’t quite understand your logic.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276656)
You’re a troll if you think GES means ****. My junior got offered 6.8k at big4. Depends on experience, resume, how much they like you etc.

Only a fool would say there is a benchmark for salary for all NQs. Room temperature IQ also will know. Sadly common sense isn’t so common anymore.

Mate the two idiots above talking about data and “logic” are a bunch of buffoons. They clearly not in the legal industry or have never hired anyone before.

I worked in 2 of the big4 firms and now in intl firm and I hav never once heard of this “fixed salary for all NQ” ********.

Can be 6k can be 7.3k all depends on how valuable we think you are.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276659)
May I ask, if the median starting is 7k, why can’t it be 6.7k? I don’t quite understand your logic.

It can definitely be 6.7k. Think what the guy above talking about median probably did not understand what median means if he said cannot be 6.7k if median is 7k.

He probably had a typo or misread what he typed though. Don’t think it is possible to be that stupid to think something and type the opposite.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 05:09 PM

How does that square with ://sglegaljobs.com/blog/post/singapore-lawyer-salary-big-4-law-firms

which suggests that NQs are 7k except for WongP.

Is the sglegaljobs website inaccurate?

Unregistered 26-04-2024 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276624)
Why is what he said considered nonsense though? I feel the same to be honest. Ethan’s legal actions are justified. It’s about time SJW like Nadine learnt the harsh truth of reality, that you cannot get away with anything just because you cry financial difficulties or feign mental health problems. Don’t start problems you cannot solve.

One could also argue that you’re a simp for defending Nadine’s actions.

In any event, you can say all you want but Nadine has to apologise on social media and still has to bear the brunt of her actions. I think this is the justice we need. Imagine being a law student and getting fked over by what you’re learning. The irony is real.

Lmao I didn’t defend anyone’s actions. Read my post again. Not agreeing with Ethan’s actions doesn’t necessarily equate to support for the other party. Did you fail your critical thinking?

Both parties are idiots for doing this ****. My 2 cents. Ok ciao.

Unregistered 26-04-2024 11:46 PM

The amount of charlatans on this forum is mind-blowing. ********ters dropping fake news like nobody's business.

"Depending on how much I like you, I can tell HR to offer you a different salary as NQ..."

"I like the kid who says I'm a fresh sheet of paper and doesn't use words like 'logic' which intimidates my Singlish-speaking-boomer-brain because this shows he has no arrogance, unlike the kid who use big words like 'logic' and 'dictates'... only I get to dictate, especially, your salary and how late you need to work to prove you understand law is a calling ... "

Tell me you are some Chinatown hack trying to fleece gullible fresh grads, without telling me you are a Chinatown hack trying to fleece gullible fresh grads.

Unregistered 28-04-2024 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276730)
The amount of charlatans on this forum is mind-blowing. ********ters dropping fake news like nobody's business.

"Depending on how much I like you, I can tell HR to offer you a different salary as NQ..."

"I like the kid who says I'm a fresh sheet of paper and doesn't use words like 'logic' which intimidates my Singlish-speaking-boomer-brain because this shows he has no arrogance, unlike the kid who use big words like 'logic' and 'dictates'... only I get to dictate, especially, your salary and how late you need to work to prove you understand law is a calling ... "

Tell me you are some Chinatown hack trying to fleece gullible fresh grads, without telling me you are a Chinatown hack trying to fleece gullible fresh grads.

Ok thanks so what’s your take on NQ salaries?

You mean to say there’s no disparity among the same ranked is it?

Unregistered 29-04-2024 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276681)
How does that square with ://sglegaljobs.com/blog/post/singapore-lawyer-salary-big-4-law-firms

which suggests that NQs are 7k except for WongP.

Is the sglegaljobs website inaccurate?

Bump. So what is the answer? Are NQs (August call) are paid $7k or not? Seems like a fairly simple question.

Find it strange that a forum full of lawyers, with a not insignificant bunch coming from Big 4, can't answer a simple question? Instead we get one long winded self masturb atory reply after another that ultimately fails to answer.

Not even asking for a binary answer "YES" or "NO" a la cross-examination.

Feel free to elaborate if the true position is more nuanced e.g. "there's a band that ranges from X to Y" or "laterals may be lowballed at the lower end of the range as compared to trainees who did their TC with the firm", or "it varies from department to department"

But nobody can furnish a direct answer?

Unregistered 29-04-2024 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276986)
Bump. So what is the answer? Are NQs (August call) are paid $7k or not? Seems like a fairly simple question.

Find it strange that a forum full of lawyers, with a not insignificant bunch coming from Big 4, can't answer a simple question? Instead we get one long winded self masturb atory reply after another that ultimately fails to answer.

Feel free to elaborate if the true position is more nuanced e.g. "there's a band that ranges from X to Y" or "laterals may be lowballed at the lower end of the range as compared to trainees who did their TC with the firm", or "it varies from department to department"

You've clearly come to the wrong place if you expect to cross-examine people on an anonymous forum. No idea what sort of pills you're on, but it's time to get sober.

Unregistered 30-04-2024 07:06 AM

How likely is it to land newyork job ah. Knn I see all the nus nyu ddp ginas earning 225k usd right after graduation I also want

Unregistered 30-04-2024 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276986)

Bro/sis, this August you’ll get your answer isn’t it?
But if you’re not in big 4, why are you asking?
If you’re already in big 4, then why bother asking?

Easy right

Unregistered 30-04-2024 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277206)
How likely is it to land newyork job ah. Knn I see all the nus nyu ddp ginas earning 225k usd right after graduation I also want

Not that difficult. It was a lot easier over the pandemic, but it’s doable now still. Just have to zhng your LinkedIn, set as open to work and start talking to recruiters.

Unregistered 30-04-2024 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277227)
Bro/sis, this August you’ll get your answer isn’t it?
But if you’re not in big 4, why are you asking?
If you’re already in big 4, then why bother asking?

Easy right

So i suppose this forum is more useless than a navel ah

Unregistered 30-04-2024 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277243)
So i suppose this forum is more useless than a navel ah

For local firms it is a waste of time to focus on minute differences of a few hundred dollars in NQ salary which lasts only 5 months. The differences only matter 3-5 years in when the ranges including bonus can get much bigger.

Unregistered 30-04-2024 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277232)
Not that difficult. It was a lot easier over the pandemic, but it’s doable now still. Just have to zhng your LinkedIn, set as open to work and start talking to recruiters.

Getting a Cravath scale job in NY right after graduation as an NUS/SMU grad is almost impossible. You have to be the top of the top. If it’s not that difficult, more people would do it instead of going to B4 shithole.

Unregistered 30-04-2024 05:39 PM

NUS got 1 grad recently joined Latham. Very rare

Unregistered 30-04-2024 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277274)
Getting a Cravath scale job in NY right after graduation as an NUS/SMU grad is almost impossible. You have to be the top of the top. If it’s not that difficult, more people would do it instead of going to B4 shithole.

Sorry, forgot to caveat that it’s easier to move as a lateral. Straight out of law school, pretty ****ing hard - think of it this way, why would NY law firms hire you over JD grads (whom they have interviewed and work with)? For the NUS/NYU kids, it ain’t easy either since they don’t have as much time in the American system to network, but being in NYC itself is a huge plus (they get to meet firms face to face in the limited time they have).

Unregistered 30-04-2024 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277315)
Sorry, forgot to caveat that it’s easier to move as a lateral. Straight out of law school, pretty ****ing hard - think of it this way, why would NY law firms hire you over JD grads (whom they have interviewed and work with)? For the NUS/NYU kids, it ain’t easy either since they don’t have as much time in the American system to network, but being in NYC itself is a huge plus (they get to meet firms face to face in the limited time they have).

This. I know some friends who did the NUS/NYU LLM program back when I was in law school and I have been told it is incredibly difficult to get a NY law firm job as an LLM student. Every NY law firm prioritizes hiring JD grads, and part of the reason why the starting salary is so high is because it takes at least 7 years of studying in order to become a lawyer in the US.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277298)
NUS got 1 grad recently joined Latham. Very rare

Is this in the sg office? Do they take local uni grads?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 01:06 PM

Can any disputes lawyer who has been in practice for a while (at least 7 years or so) give advise as to whether one should stay in big 4 disputes, and grind it out to make equity, or go to an international firm to practice arbitration and hope to one day make partner? I know equity isn’t guaranteed for either and people say it’s easier to make equity in big 4 - but does the better salary in an intl firm justify taking that risk?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 02:55 PM

Salary at big 4

Any idea what’s the salary range in big 4 firms for those called in 2019?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 06:54 PM

Hearsay for the new 1 year TC the second 6 months is 4k. True?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 07:43 PM

Hows the launch of A&O Shearman coming along. Got up pay to NYC cravath level?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277427)

another troll...

Unregistered 01-05-2024 11:55 PM

How is Theodore Heng doing at Baker?

AssCake69 02-05-2024 08:20 AM

1 year TC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277427)

Heard the same from my seniors entering TC in2025… what you on man.

TSMP offering 2.5k during trainee and 3.5 after retention (which can start 2 month into TC)… it’s publicly on their website dude