Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 27-02-2024 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269281)
Thanks for this. I was thinking of trying for an intl firm experience, but wasn’t sure whether to ask my big 4 firm for secondment or just quit and apply for an intl firm

Secondments have strings attached - beware. Also, you might be expected to do your normal work in addition to the work given to you while on secondment. I've heard of friends who were given bum deals like that.

Honestly, I'd rather just quit and join an international firm outright. Leave on a good note, and stay professional. Do your due diligence (extensively) on the international firms which you are considering.

Unregistered 27-02-2024 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269188)
2023 batch did new syllabus, just supposedly without the increased difficulty.

ppl like this fella is why the industry sucks. either you answer the question or you don't. if you cant be helpful, be quiet.

anw OP, exams ran from 5 to 14 Dec 2023. our batch did the "new syllabus without increased difficulty". we had 1 paper a day, so 8 papers in total. it was DRP1-DRP2-PCP1-PCP2-(weekend)-ETH-CCP1-CCP2-CLK. the paper took place from 1430h-1630h.

thank you very much!!

Unregistered 27-02-2024 02:03 PM

PTC cut off date for old regime. HELP!!

Hi, SILE indicated that the PTC for the old regime of 6 months has a cut off date of 16 July 2024 "You must complete the six-month PTP by no later than 16 July 2024, prior to the commencement of Part B Course 2024 set for 17 July 2024."

What if my PTC ends after 16 July 2024 due to delay in securing a TC in January? Will I not be able to be called? So odd that SILE now puts a cut off date for TC completion as I understand people can be called every month of the year other than June and December.

Unregistered 27-02-2024 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269361)
Hi, SILE indicated that the PTC for the old regime of 6 months has a cut off date of 16 July 2024 "You must complete the six-month PTP by no later than 16 July 2024, prior to the commencement of Part B Course 2024 set for 17 July 2024."

What if my PTC ends after 16 July 2024 due to delay in securing a TC in January? Will I not be able to be called? So odd that SILE now puts a cut off date for TC completion as I understand people can be called every month of the year other than June and December.

I believe is to make mass call? Got timeline to file your papers. Idk tho be a lawyer and DYOD.

Unregistered 27-02-2024 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269361)

They announced this change of the old regime I believe since 2018.. and it was supposedly meant to be implemented in 2023.

They pushed it back a year because of their SILE's own incompetence to do trials and surveys to see if the new syllabus would be feasible.

You should not be complaining even if you have to do 1 year because you should have fallen under the category of "new regime" if SILE was not incompetent.

Bad news for you is that you will be cheap labour for 6 more months
Good news for you is that you have 6 months of responsibility free time to learn the practise which would do you good when you actually get called.

Unregistered 28-02-2024 10:43 PM

Anyone heard back from linklaters internship application?

Unregistered 02-03-2024 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269470)
Anyone heard back from linklaters internship application?

Applied for the Singapore Alternative Training Contract. Got the report back, but still waiting on whether get invited to phone interview.

Unregistered 02-03-2024 02:37 PM

How are the people in Prolegis disputes team?

Unregistered 02-03-2024 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269371)
They announced this change of the old regime I believe since 2018.. and it was supposedly meant to be implemented in 2023.

They pushed it back a year because of their SILE's own incompetence to do trials and surveys to see if the new syllabus would be feasible.

You should not be complaining even if you have to do 1 year because you should have fallen under the category of "new regime" if SILE was not incompetent.

Bad news for you is that you will be cheap labour for 6 more months
Good news for you is that you have 6 months of responsibility free time to learn the practise which would do you good when you actually get called.

not OP but damn calm down........why are people on here so paggro and salty??? get a life

Unregistered 02-03-2024 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269364)
I believe is to make mass call? Got timeline to file your papers. Idk tho be a lawyer and DYOD.

this fella also. if you dont know, dont talk. what kind of lawyers are yall lol

Unregistered 03-03-2024 10:34 AM

Does anyone know roughly what is the minimum to score a TC for big 4?
Is borderline second uppers from NUS enough?

Unregistered 03-03-2024 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269663)

For sure. 2nd lower also possible. Interview is more important.

Unregistered 03-03-2024 01:30 PM

What’s it like in Cavinder Bull’s team? Get to work closely w him? Bonus good?

Unregistered 03-03-2024 05:11 PM

are part b lessons compulsory? am thinking of going overseas in october... haha

Unregistered 04-03-2024 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269639)
not OP but damn calm down........why are people on here so paggro and salty??? get a life

Maybe its because this forum is for "salary" questions and not dumb retarded questions like "can my TC stay the old regime under 6 months because i want be a lawyer faster"

I agree with the guy who said OP should not complain.

Ask stupid question, get stupid answer from us

Unregistered 05-03-2024 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269639)

Sinkies get off on putting other people down. Insecure mah...

Unregistered 06-03-2024 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269682)
What’s it like in Cavinder Bull’s team? Get to work closely w him? Bonus good?

Those actually in his team are all high flyers from what I’ve seen. Doubt they are on this forum lol

Unregistered 06-03-2024 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269879)
Those actually in his team are all high flyers from what I’ve seen. Doubt they are on this forum lol

Bonus good, hours not good.

Unregistered 06-03-2024 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269893)
Bonus good, hours not good.

How much the bonus? For assocs also?

Unregistered 06-03-2024 02:15 PM

RHT offering tc in their litigation department. anyone know who is the supervising solicitor and how is the culture like?

Unregistered 06-03-2024 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269913)
RHT offering tc in their litigation department. anyone know who is the supervising solicitor and how is the culture like?

RHT gives off strong SME vibes.

Also, read the glassdoor reviews on the firm. Pretty interesting.

Unregistered 06-03-2024 02:24 PM

r&t banking tc good? Hours, training and people …

Unregistered 06-03-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269914)
RHT gives off strong SME vibes.

Also, read the glassdoor reviews on the firm. Pretty interesting.

because I look at their page profile. quite a lot of notable people so thought it would be a good firm. U nvr know, I guess hahaha

Unregistered 06-03-2024 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269919)
because I look at their page profile. quite a lot of notable people so thought it would be a good firm. U nvr know, I guess hahaha

General rule of thumb when assessing a law firm's quality is to look at the bench strength of their 'mainline' (rank-and-file) partners. These are the partners that are actually doing the work / cultivating the client relationships actively on a day to day basis.

Are the mainline partners notable? Are they known for high value or high profile deals and cases that are commonly featured in legal industry publication? Do they have notable clients? Do they have steady stream of clients? Or are they unknowns? (posting on linkedin incessantly all day doesn't count).

Not the Consultants or Senior Partners or Senior Consultants or Consultant Emeritus etc etc. Firms sometimes pad their roster with these distinguished names from the legal industry to lend an aura of respectability and gravitas. But in reality, the presence of these names may not really translate to much in terms of client relationships and actual work.

Unregistered 06-03-2024 04:52 PM

Between CC and Baker disputes, which should i choose?

Unregistered 06-03-2024 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269930)
Between CC and Baker disputes, which should i choose?

CC has been bleeding away its good disputes partners for some time, baker has never had a strong disputes practice in the first place, so both are not great options.

However, CC pays more.

Unregistered 06-03-2024 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269950)
CC has been bleeding away its good disputes partners for some time, baker has never had a strong disputes practice in the first place, so both are not great options.

However, CC pays more.

I understand Baker has more niche strengths, such as in constructions, employment and Insolvency. CC disputes seems to be more general, do everything that comes in-type arrangement. A few amount of work comes through the other practice groups.

Unregistered 07-03-2024 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269915)
r&t banking tc good? Hours, training and people …

If you are good you would not even consider them.

Unregistered 07-03-2024 02:45 PM

DRD salary scale

What is the DRD salary range for Assoc 0-4 PQE?

Are they still fully Hybrid

Unregistered 07-03-2024 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269726)
Maybe its because this forum is for "salary" questions and not dumb retarded questions like "can my TC stay the old regime under 6 months because i want be a lawyer faster"

I agree with the guy who said OP should not complain.

Ask stupid question, get stupid answer from us

so whats your salary?

Unregistered 07-03-2024 08:47 PM

Not salary qn sorry, but a lot of lawyers here so I guess best place to ask ... Will an iPad be alright to take the bar exam? Or do we need a full laptop.

Unregistered 08-03-2024 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270036)
so whats your salary?

not high, 11.8k front loaded

Unregistered 08-03-2024 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270039)
Not salary qn sorry, but a lot of lawyers here so I guess best place to ask ... Will an iPad be alright to take the bar exam? Or do we need a full laptop.

Do whatever is comfortable for you, but just note that if anything goes wrong (incompatible software etc), you are the one who's going to suffer for it.

Unregistered 08-03-2024 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269997)
If you are good you would not even consider them.

care to elaborate? heard some stuff but nothing concrete atm and mostly seem like a fit issue

Unregistered 08-03-2024 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269663)

Big 4 is very simple to go in one. In interview just show you very very willing to be milked to death.

Unregistered 09-03-2024 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270039)

Definitely a laptop bought within the last 2-3 years. You'll need to download and onboard Examplify, the software used by local law schools and SILE for exams. Your laptop battery life should last for at least 2.5 hours.

Unregistered 09-03-2024 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269913)

quote curious to know how their litigation dept is..............Talking

Unregistered 09-03-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270120)
care to elaborate? heard some stuff but nothing concrete atm and mostly seem like a fit issue

Can you get offers from any other big4? If you can't then just go with them, you can always request (or your partner will arrange) for an internal transfer if things don't work out.

Unregistered 09-03-2024 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270067)
not high, 11.8k front loaded

wah damn low. sucks to be you

Unregistered 09-03-2024 09:06 PM

Got sg firm that doesn’t front load meh?