Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 02-06-2022 09:45 PM

After 5 months, what has king of singapore done to stem the attrition in the legal sector?

Unregistered 02-06-2022 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219804)
Hi, was wondering when the invitation to apply for jlc arrives? Would appreciate any insights!

Junior told me invitations have been sent out for nus for those who graduated with FCH - smu apparently not yet because their graduation processing (?) is taking longer

Unregistered 02-06-2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220062)
This is 100% wrong. It is too high even if I take "First Yearer" to mean 1PQE (not NQ).

Just go ask any of your B4 friends...

Lol I can tell you 100% that the 1PQE amounts are right. I don't know whether you've kept up, but there's been an industry wide increase led by the b4 lol, 7.5k-7.9k figures are accurate. 7.5k monthly with random stuff like 100bucks HP allowance etc lol.

Unregistered 03-06-2022 12:05 AM

TC application season coming soon...how does the b4, baker, and cc compare if I plan to do disputes? are the b4 firms (especially drew) still the way to go for good disputes training?

Unregistered 03-06-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220106)
TC application season coming soon...how does the b4, baker, and cc compare if I plan to do disputes? are the b4 firms (especially drew) still the way to go for good disputes training?

Between a B4 and CC, go for CC if you can for more exposure to international arbi work.

Between a B4 and Wong & Leow, I would choose B4 purely for the volume and variety of exposure to dispute reso case. They're not automatically better or more outstanding than B4 just because they're the Baker office here.

The caveat is that ur B4 exposure and quality of training is really dependent on which senior litigator's team you end up in.

Unregistered 03-06-2022 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220083)
Junior told me invitations have been sent out for nus for those who graduated with FCH - smu apparently not yet because their graduation processing (?) is taking longer

any idea for UK law firms

Unregistered 03-06-2022 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220173)

Baker is accepting

Unregistered 03-06-2022 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220173)

Bruh, this is for JLC lol. Not TC applications.

Unregistered 03-06-2022 10:55 PM

JLC or CC?

Unregistered 03-06-2022 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220152)
Between a B4 and CC, go for CC if you can for more exposure to international arbi work.

Between a B4 and Wong & Leow, I would choose B4 purely for the volume and variety of exposure to dispute reso case. They're not automatically better or more outstanding than B4 just because they're the Baker office here.

The caveat is that ur B4 exposure and quality of training is really dependent on which senior litigator's team you end up in.

Which B4 would give more exposure/better training say in Drew or A&G? And are we able to select the team when applying for TC?

Unregistered 03-06-2022 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220235)
JLC or CC?

Fervent Chambers number 1. $7.5k for first yearer.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 08:10 AM

Quote:

JLC or CC?

If I have aspirations to be a litigator and aspire to eventually be SC, should I go JLC or Big 4 Liti? Also, is this a realistic aspiration?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220268)
If I have aspirations to be a litigator and aspire to eventually be SC, should I go JLC or Big 4 Liti? Also, is this a realistic aspiration?

JLC duh. If you want to do litigation, it a no-brainer to do a JLC stint first given the cachet it gives you and the exposure you get to HC/CA judges and how they think.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

JLC or CC?

One of the JLCs from nus last year was valedictorian of his batch, gave up his TC with CC for JLC lol.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220277)
JLC duh. If you want to do litigation, it a no-brainer to do a JLC stint first given the cachet it gives you and the exposure you get to HC/CA judges and how they think.

Hahaha yeah

That's like asking whether one should choose between an offer in a top US litigation firm like Orrick or Gibson Dunn, or a SCOTUS clerkship

Unregistered 04-06-2022 01:38 PM

What does counsel/of counsel mean in the hierarchy

Why do some slightly more senior lawyers get this title? They partner or not?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220238)
Which B4 would give more exposure/better training say in Drew or A&G? And are we able to select the team when applying for TC?

I am interested to know this too since the team matters a great deal, is there some way we can indicate interest in our application?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220054)
EthosBC salary guide 2022 says the salary ranges for Big 4 is:

First Yearer: $7.5K - $7.9K
2nd Yearer: $8.5K - $9.2K
3rd Yearer: $9K - $10.5K
4th Yearer: $10.5K - $11.8K
5th Yearer +: $12K & above

Seems correct leh. Or you saying EthosBC also BS-ing?

They have no reason to BS also. Most local firm placements/laterals for juniors also done thru direct hires, not through recruitment firms (cos Big 4 are too cheap to use recruiters and there's no lack of lateral applicants).

sounds accurate for big4. Do you have EBC’s salary guide for international firms? Would really want to know

Unregistered 04-06-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220316)
Why do some slightly more senior lawyers get this title? They partner or not?

Context matters.

Traditionally, "Of Counsel" was/is used for a relatively experienced lawyer (ie more senior than a senior assoc) who's not on the partnership track or has no expectations to be made an equity partner. These guys are pretty doing their own thing, and it's much easier for them to pack up their practice and move elsewhere. Similar to "Consultant" but Consultant title is usually for super-senior & respected practitioners (very experienced semi-retiring lawyers, former Judges or legal service, etc).

Nowadays the title is used & abused for all sorts of purposes.

Some firms like A&G now use "Counsel" as a rank before junior (salaried) partner. In order to stretch out the rungs.

Some other firms like Providence, simply call all their assoc-level lawyers, "Counsel" which sounds like title inflation to me.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220346)
Context matters.

Traditionally, "Of Counsel" was/is used for a relatively experienced lawyer (ie more senior than a senior assoc) who's not on the partnership track or has no expectations to be made an equity partner. These guys are pretty doing their own thing, and it's much easier for them to pack up their practice and move elsewhere. Similar to "Consultant" but Consultant title is usually for super-senior & respected practitioners (very experienced semi-retiring lawyers, former Judges or legal service, etc).

Nowadays the title is used & abused for all sorts of purposes.

Some firms like A&G now use "Counsel" as a rank before junior (salaried) partner. In order to stretch out the rungs.

Some other firms like Providence, simply call all their assoc-level lawyers, "Counsel" which sounds like title inflation to me.

How do u guys choose Recruiters these days? Based on word of mouth, years of experience, or just see who is pretty??

Unregistered 04-06-2022 07:15 PM

Hi Seniors

Is a CAP of 4.0 for NUS above 50%? worried i will lose my ddp. Thanks

Unregistered 05-06-2022 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220365)
Hi Seniors

Just drop it la. DDPs are not useful for practice.

A high 2nd upper LLB > low 2nd upper or 2nd lower DDP any day

Unregistered 05-06-2022 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220342)
sounds accurate for big4. Do you have EBC’s salary guide for international firms? Would really want to know

It's actually in the same 2022 private practice salary guide. Just use a temp email mailer and download it if you don't want to create a new acct or use your personal one lol.

But here you go: all in SGD per annum, except Cravath-scale which is in USD

UK firms
MT = Mid tier. SC = Silver Circle. MC = Magic Circle
NQ $120K - $135K(MT); $150K - $170K(SC); $165K - $195K(MC)
1 PQE $130K - $140K(MT); $160K - $180K(SC); $175K - $215K(MC)
2 PQE $140K - $155K(MT); $170K - $195K(SC); $190K - $230K(MC)
3 PQE $150K - $165K(MT); $180K - $210K(SC); $210K - $245K(MC)
4 PQE $165K - $175K(MT); $195K - $225K(SC); $225K - $260K(MC)
5 PQE $170K - $190K(MT); $205K - $240K(SC); $240K - $280K(MC)
6+ PQE $190K & above(MT); $235K & above(SC); $265K & above(MC)

US firms
MA = Mid Atlantic. C = Cravath scale in USD
NQ $195K - $220K(MA); $215K(C)
1 PQE $200K - $240K(MA); $225K(C)
2 PQE $210K - $260K(MA); $250K(C)
3 PQE $225K - $275K(MA); $295K(C)
4 PQE $240K - $290K(MA); $345K(C)
5 PQE $250K - $310K(MA); $370K(C)
6+ PQE $275K & above(MA); $400K(C)

Unregistered 05-06-2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220360)
How do u guys choose Recruiters these days? Based on word of mouth, years of experience, or just see who is pretty??

Upvote 10char

Unregistered 05-06-2022 06:08 PM

Big4 are losing big business to intls!!! Now they are confined to handling local corporate work and the lucrative singapore outbound corp work which they used to handle is increasingly handled by the top intls. Time for wongp and rnt to slowly wind down their corp depts lulzz

Unregistered 05-06-2022 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220483)
Big4 are losing big business to intls!!! Now they are confined to handling local corporate work and the lucrative singapore outbound corp work which they used to handle is increasingly handled by the top intls. Time for wongp and rnt to slowly wind down their corp depts lulzz

Don't be stupid. Clearly the squeeze is real but they're not going to shut down. At most, there will be consolidation.

Most of the Big 4 still dominate high(er) end local work and should be safe so long as Singapore law work is protected. Even Drew corporate, which is like comparatively less top-tier than the other 3.

It's the unremarkable, crappy, mid-tier local law firms with their subpar service levels and unprofitable partners that should be afraid. Quite a number of these firms shouldn't be around - they should either fold or consolidate for survival. Just a matter of time.

Unregistered 06-06-2022 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220522)
Don't be stupid. Clearly the squeeze is real but they're not going to shut down. At most, there will be consolidation.

Most of the Big 4 still dominate high(er) end local work and should be safe so long as Singapore law work is protected. Even Drew corporate, which is like comparatively less top-tier than the other 3.

It's the unremarkable, crappy, mid-tier local law firms with their subpar service levels and unprofitable partners that should be afraid. Quite a number of these firms shouldn't be around - they should either fold or consolidate for survival. Just a matter of time.

How about CRE? My impression is that would be one area where “Singapore law” would be “protected”, so to speak.

Unregistered 06-06-2022 12:04 PM

They are currently hiring public defenders.
Any guesses on what pay/work will be like?

Unregistered 06-06-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220589)
They are currently hiring public defenders.
Any guesses on what pay/work will be like?

Also. any guesses on who's going to be the Chief Public Defender.

Unregistered 06-06-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220365)
Hi Seniors

Nus usually sends out letters (at least it did in first year) to tell you if you're in top 50%, or if you're on dean's list. Use that as a gauge. No letter = below 50%.

In any case, many of my friends eventually drop their DDP after first year. Law is shag enough and the additional effort of doing a DDP is just not worth the (almost non-existent) ROI.

Unregistered 06-06-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220590)
Also. any guesses on who's going to be the Chief Public Defender.

Ravi or CY?

Unregistered 06-06-2022 07:52 PM

s://.elitigation.sg/gd/s/2022_SGHC_133

Will Luo Ling Ling post an update on LinkedIn?

Unregistered 06-06-2022 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220668)

The Leon Tay decision is out: s://.elitigation.sg/gd/s/2022_SGHC_133

I am completely surprised and disgusted by the initial attempts by his legal team to paint this guy as a "smart boy" that largely sandpapered over the many concerns identified by the Court in the decision. That unfortunate PR exercise is found here: s://wakeup.sg/cheating-trainees/

Unregistered 06-06-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220668)

Waste of precious judicial resources to deal with these losers with no integrity.

A summary dismissal of their applications should be all that's necessary. It's not like there's a shortage of lawyers at the NQ level anyway.

Unregistered 06-06-2022 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220671)

I am completely surprised and disgusted by the initial attempts by his legal team to paint this guy as a "smart boy" that largely sandpapered over the many concerns identified by the Court in the decision. That unfortunate PR exercise is found here: s://wakeup.sg/cheating-trainees/

Everyone makes mistakes. You should also consider your statements in context - it was clear that AGC took an unnecessarily harsh approach due to the public backlash, and also that all the 11 applicants would not have made the application if they had known of the potential consequences. To be honest, I don't think this Applicant cheated to score well, and it was clear he had a medical condition already as mentioned in the GD.

Imo, the most constructive way to avoid this whole situation was for SILE to just ban them for taking the exams for 5 years. Objectively, the resulting media backlash for all parties became a shitshow for the all parties involved, including the judiciary and the profession.

This whole incident already does not look good on our profession as a whole, just move on and stop posting nasty comments. Let people move on.

Unregistered 06-06-2022 09:25 PM

Quote:

The PR exercise does not hide or deny that he made a mistake anyway. It was a bad mistake. The lying part, no doubt he should not have done it. But honestly, how much was he supposed to disclose, and to whom? This is not very clear (even to me) since there is no precedent for such a situation. He is at fault for sure but given SILE had already cleared him and the 11, it was somewhat understandable why they thought everything was fine for the admission application.

I don't think the facts were even explored for the other earlier 6 cases, and the judge has gone into quite a bit of detail in his case to clarify it for the public. This certainly raises many concerns but I don't see anything particularly new which was not known earlier to everyone.

Unregistered 07-06-2022 02:19 AM

Quote:

CJ put to rest any concerns about how much "good" is there in him. This guy's actions are recorded and there for everyone to see

Unregistered 07-06-2022 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220718)
CJ put to rest any concerns about how much "good" is there in him. This guy's actions are recorded and there for everyone to see

Well tsmp gave him a second chance. Lets be nice

Unregistered 07-06-2022 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220741)

That's the wrong guy la dude.

Unregistered 07-06-2022 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220741)

Wrong guy, they're not even from the same batch