Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 25 03-08-2021 04:44 PM

Advice for an NQ

Hello, junior lawyer called in 2020 looking for some advice from the laojiaos here

I am currently working in one of the pseudo international firms in a corp practice. Pay is decent for a junior assoc but hours are long (regularly 2/3 am and havent had a day of leave since starting as a trainee). It is not so much the long hours which are the deal breaker but rather also I find that my own development has stagnated and also I dont see a very long runway for the area of law I am practising.

I have been looking around and considering my options and grateful if a senior here can offer some advice from a career development perspective:

(1) moving to another practice in a B4 firm - from what I understand, despite meagre pay for the long hours, working in a B4 firm really builds up the skills and competency levels of the juniors. was wondering whether it is timely for a soon-to-be 1PQE to join one of the more up-and-coming practices such as funds or fintech etc.

(2) moving to the same/similar practice in an international firm - pay is definitely better and I understand that a number of international firms are hiring associates at my seniority because I am nearing that 2 year mark since I started training which is the end of the 2-year training period for a UK lawyer.

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 03-08-2021 05:36 PM

B4

Hows the market perception of associates now as between the B4 firms? asking from the perspective of a junior lawyer focusing on career progression

Unregistered 03-08-2021 05:44 PM

hallo junior associate called in 2020 here looking for some advice from the seniors on the forum

in your experience, which is a better move from a development and career progression standpoint:

(1) moving to one of the more 'up-and-coming' practices such as funds, fintech etc. in a B4 local firm

(2) moving to a more 'traditional' practice such as banking in an international firm.

(2) offers a much better pay package of course, but I have heard that lawyers who have trained in B4 are viewed better by the market due to the more rigorous training (and workload).

Grateful for your thoughts!

Unregistered 03-08-2021 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179164)
Hows the market perception of associates now as between the B4 firms? asking from the perspective of a junior lawyer focusing on career progression

A&G
The others

Unregistered 03-08-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179165)
hallo junior associate called in 2020 here looking for some advice from the seniors on the forum

in your experience, which is a better move from a development and career progression standpoint:

(1) moving to one of the more 'up-and-coming' practices such as funds, fintech etc. in a B4 local firm

(2) moving to a more 'traditional' practice such as banking in an international firm.

(2) offers a much better pay package of course, but I have heard that lawyers who have trained in B4 are viewed better by the market due to the more rigorous training (and workload).

Pick something that you at least like doing. If you hate regimentation, banking will kill you. If you hate everything, then go for the money.

What international firm are you taking about? Latham? CC? Ashurst? DRD? No one is gonna **** on your training if you go to the first couple and their peers.

Unregistered 04-08-2021 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178867)
It's a small-midsize boutique firm formed from past big4 associates. They caused a hoo-ha when they started because the partners started the firm at 3PQE (the minimum required without Minlaw approval). They expanded quite fast at the start.

However, recently I think some of the corp dept (their head at least) had some dispute (or maybe just decided to leave).

Heard wmh pays their staff and associates very well, i was told even last year during covid they have received good increments and bonus.

Unregistered 04-08-2021 09:36 AM

In house

Why not go in-house? Same legal skills, provide solutions to business, and without being assessed on your hourly billings?

Unregistered 04-08-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179165)

join TMT practice in intl firm

your exit options will be really good

Unregistered 04-08-2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179216)
join TMT practice in intl firm

your exit options will be really good

Agree. Don't even need to be locally qualified. Can still advise on data privacy. Easy peasy.

Unregistered 04-08-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172193)
R u sexist n anti special needs ppl

I take my fch from my delisted law school out and paste it on my 4head while walking my dog sometimes

Unregistered 04-08-2021 01:51 PM

Now investigations also pretty hot. Keep seeing investigations counsel jobs on linkedin.

What kind of lawyers they looking for. Surely not chinatown crim lawyers right? How many big 4 teams actually do pure crim/investigations? Wendell Wong's team in Drew, Hamidul Haq's and Yusfiyanto's teams in R&T, Jason Chan in A&G. Can't think of anymore

Unregistered 04-08-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179230)
Now investigations also pretty hot. Keep seeing investigations counsel jobs on linkedin.

What kind of lawyers they looking for. Surely not chinatown crim lawyers right? How many big 4 teams actually do pure crim/investigations? Wendell Wong's team in Drew, Hamidul Haq's and Yusfiyanto's teams in R&T, Jason Chan in A&G. Can't think of anymore

This guys Paras Lalwani good to work for in Drew? Anyone heard of him before? CECA?

Unregistered 04-08-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Baker McKenzie Celeste Ang does investigations too? Any feedback?

Unregistered 05-08-2021 01:34 AM

Any one knows if any B4 disputes team is hiring?

Unregistered 05-08-2021 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179307)
Any one knows if any B4 disputes team is hiring?

Always hiring

Unregistered 05-08-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Tan Chee Meng's team at WP?

Unregistered 05-08-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179268)

Market leader.

Unregistered 05-08-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179248)
This guys Paras Lalwani good to work for in Drew? Anyone heard of him before? CECA?

Once the CECA floodgates are opened they'll be hard to close. Case study DBS and other big banks. Hope the government will have the foresight not to expand CECA to the Singaporean legal industry.

Unregistered 05-08-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

out of big 4, i think kabir singh in cc

Unregistered 05-08-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179320)
Tan Chee Meng's team at WP?

And join SPC? No thanks

Unregistered 05-08-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179336)
And join SPC? No thanks

What’s wrong with SPC?

Unregistered 05-08-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179268)

Heard they are hiring

Unregistered 05-08-2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179340)
What’s wrong with SPC?

Just dont apply man it's a real **** show

Unregistered 05-08-2021 03:31 PM

Lol their reputation is well known. Shag man

Unregistered 05-08-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179355)

Which b4 liti not shag?

Unregistered 05-08-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179355)

What’s SPC rep? Need to know as I just got an interview offer gg

Unregistered 05-08-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179365)
What’s SPC rep? Need to know as I just got an interview offer gg

Then don't need to ask us - just go in and find out.

Unregistered 05-08-2021 08:22 PM

In view of the rising emphasis on mental health - any other lawyers here who are constantly anxious as a result of work? I have an anxiety disorder and find it incredibly hard to relax and dissociate myself from work

Unregistered 05-08-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179374)

DSC more worth it

Unregistered 05-08-2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179374)

He doesn't know what he's in for.

Good luck

Unregistered 05-08-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179387)
In view of the rising emphasis on mental health - any other lawyers here who are constantly anxious as a result of work? I have an anxiety disorder and find it incredibly hard to relax and dissociate myself from work

I am too. Feeling very distressed and have difficulties sleeping.

Unregistered 05-08-2021 11:15 PM

Really can anyone shed light on the culture in WongP SPC? :/

Unregistered 05-08-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179397)
I am too. Feeling very distressed and have difficulties sleeping.

Are you all able to find someone to marry?
Or just breakup halfway? Even after engagement?

Unregistered 05-08-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179400)
Really can anyone shed light on the culture in WongP SPC? :/

If you have friends, ask them to ask someone who knows. Surely one of them can give insight.

These things (any firm for that matter) should not be put on a public forum. I recommend not going in blind to any firm and asking your friends.

Unregistered 06-08-2021 12:13 AM

Now covid I’m sure a lot of us lawyers have broken up or in the process of calling off engagements etc.

How do you all cope with this ?

Unregistered 06-08-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179387)

Move inhouse.

Try not to take SSRIs as they may cause ED.

Unregistered 06-08-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179418)
Now covid I’m sure a lot of us lawyers have broken up or in the process of calling off engagements etc.

How do you all cope with this ?

only if both parties are lawyers. pro tip for guys: don't date another lawyer. date a teacher or someone in healthcare, counselling or social work. Much better, trust me. And likely chioer too

Unregistered 06-08-2021 11:13 AM

What is the current outlook for corp ? Approaching 1PQE soon. Doing general liti, with a bit of corp in a smaller mid-sized firm.

Thinking of moving from liti to corp.

Unregistered 06-08-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179445)
What is the current outlook for corp ? Approaching 1PQE soon. Doing general liti, with a bit of corp in a smaller mid-sized firm.

Thinking of moving from liti to corp.

If u want to do corp, better move ASAP. small mid firm doing liti + corp means you're more or less a small firm litigator doing the occasional contract review work. very sub-optimal exit options unless you really want to stay in liti.

need to pivot entirely to corp in a reputable large firm for optimal outcomes. your liti experience for the past year will be disregarded entirely. You'll more or less be regarded as starting from scratch as a corp NQ

Unregistered 06-08-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179448)
If u want to do corp, better move ASAP. small mid firm doing liti + corp means you're more or less a small firm litigator doing the occasional contract review work. very sub-optimal exit options unless you really want to stay in liti.

need to pivot entirely to corp in a reputable large firm for optimal outcomes. your liti experience for the past year will be disregarded entirely. You'll more or less be regarded as starting from scratch as a corp NQ

Yup move to big4 corp asap. Or if can’t then the better corp midsized like slb, cnp, etc