Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 03-09-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181984)
This thread started more than 13 years ago and has helped many lawyers, trainees and students navigate through their legal careers and ultimately finding the paths they have been suited for.

However, in recent times, the thread has been filled with sexist, racist, witless, supremacist, elitist and utterly childish comments that don’t serve any purpose at all besides illustrating how things have deteriorated since. It’s only matter of time this thread gets reported out.

Unfortunately, this thread is also the first webpage suggestion that pops out whenever someone searches “lawyer salary sg” or words along those phrases. These are very commonly searched phrases by any members of the public, lawyers and overseas foreigners who wish to relocate or are just interested in our legal salary in general.

This will also be my last post on this thread.

Elitist: a person who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite.

Supremacist: a person who believes that a particular group, especially one determined by race, religion, or sex, is superior and should therefore dominate society.

LKY: “We’re only the descendants of illiterate, landless farmers in Fujian and Guangdong”

Make your own meaning out of it

Unregistered 03-09-2021 03:44 PM

POFMA the above for besmirching our Great Leader. There is no elitism in ba sing se

Unregistered 03-09-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182001)
POFMA the above for besmirching our Great Leader. There is no elitism in ba sing se

Pofma?
It’s a “ “ quote LOL

Unregistered 03-09-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181994)
Elitist: a person who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite.

Supremacist: a person who believes that a particular group, especially one determined by race, religion, or sex, is superior and should therefore dominate society.

LKY: “We’re only the descendants of illiterate, landless farmers in Fujian and Guangdong”

Make your own meaning out of it

Means don’t look down on SIM UOL? Why did you feel the need to bring them up?
If “the descendants of illiterate, landless farmers in Fujian and Guangdong” can make it,
why cant anyone else?

Unregistered 03-09-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

This thread started more than 13 years ago and has helped many lawyers, trainees and students navigate through their legal careers and ultimately finding the paths they have been suited for.

However, in recent times, the thread has been filled with sexist, racist, witless, supremacist, elitist and utterly childish comments that don’t serve any purpose at all besides illustrating how things have deteriorated since. It’s only matter of time this thread gets reported out.

Unfortunately, this thread is also the first webpage suggestion that pops out whenever someone searches “lawyer salary sg” or words along those phrases. These are very commonly searched phrases by any members of the public, lawyers and overseas foreigners who wish to relocate or are just interested in our legal salary in general.

Spoken like a true PAP supporter. I hope the irony is not lost on you.

Unregistered 03-09-2021 08:56 PM

whats wongp's liti reputation?

Unregistered 03-09-2021 10:17 PM

I’m interested in Liti dpt of firms like Harry Elias, RHT, bird & bird, SLB, TSMP, not necessary big 4. What is their reputation like?

Unregistered 03-09-2021 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181988)
It's generally reflective of the quality of lawyering nowadays by the juniors. Fully agree with all your comments.

A quick perusal of the latest posts here and one would think this forum is worse than the SIM UOL thread, which as we know is full of braggarts and trolls. And the irony is the majority of the lawyers posting here would probably look upon SIM UOL with contempt, oblivious to the fact that they are displaying far worse behaviour.

How senior are you? Are you not billing enough?

Why is the SIM UOL thread of relevance to you? Are you a UOL distance learning law grad too?

If not you, there are other lawyers your age who are from UOL distance learning.

All this tells me is that you are passing unnecessary judgement on those younger than you / from SIM UOL.

Which is ironical too, 'cause you were once young.

Unregistered 04-09-2021 12:41 AM

Quote:

I agree with him fully. Some of the non-constructive posts here are regrettable.

There isn't much substance to NUS 2:1 "elitism". Seriously, grow up. No one at the Bar cares whether you're NUS, SMU, KCL, Bristol, Hull or Leeds. There are also many, many metrics by which you can measure academic competence.

Even then, academic competence does not necessarily translate to practical competence. You are a practitioner. Not a textbook author (though, some practitioners are also very, very strong academically, but I am just making a point). Your clients come to you for practical and commercial advice, not a law school essay on what a leading academic says.

From the client's perspective - you write an essay, you're out. I don't pay you to give me an essay you wrote in your first semester of law school. I pay you to give me what I want.

This forum should reflect a profession, not a school or a playground. The theatrics here is embarrassing.

I'm not even sure if some of these trolls even took the oath to uphold the law seriously. With the oath in mind, I don't ever think it is approriate to comment on how the upskirt photo was acceptable (referring to the post above in the last few pages). Did you even think before posting?

On the degeneration of this forum into political divides by the trolls, why do you even care? What does someone's political beliefs matter to you? Arsenal, Man U, Man City, PAP, WP?

What's it to you, so much do that you need to come and post anonymously about your Facebook friends supporting a certain political party? Why is it "brown nosing" to express your political beliefs?

Are you really so narrow minded that any support for a view contrary to yours is "brown nosing"? Is there no reasonable degree of freedom of expression in Singapore?

This will also my last post on this thread. If it changes your mindset, my time isn't wasted. But I pity the fools who remain entrenched in propagating stupidity and nonsense, and who waste their time with perceived elitism and misogyny.

Unregistered 04-09-2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182053)
I agree with him fully. Some of the non-constructive posts here are regrettable.

There isn't much substance to NUS 2:1 "elitism". Seriously, grow up. No one at the Bar cares whether you're NUS, SMU, KCL, Bristol, Hull or Leeds. There are also many, many metrics by which you can measure academic competence.

Even then, academic competence does not necessarily translate to practical competence. You are a practitioner. Not a textbook author (though, some practitioners are also very, very strong academically, but I am just making a point). Your clients come to you for practical and commercial advice, not a law school essay on what a leading academic says.

From the client's perspective - you write an essay, you're out. I don't pay you to give me an essay you wrote in your first semester of law school. I pay you to give me what I want.

This forum should reflect a profession, not a school or a playground. The theatrics here is embarrassing.

I'm not even sure if some of these trolls even took the oath to uphold the law seriously. With the oath in mind, I don't ever think it is approriate to comment on how the upskirt photo was acceptable (referring to the post above in the last few pages). Did you even think before posting?

On the degeneration of this forum into political divides by the trolls, why do you even care? What does someone's political beliefs matter to you? Arsenal, Man U, Man City, PAP, WP?

What's it to you, so much do that you need to come and post anonymously about your Facebook friends supporting a certain political party? Why is it "brown nosing" to express your political beliefs?

Are you really so narrow minded that any support for a view contrary to yours is "brown nosing"? Is there no reasonable degree of freedom of expression in Singapore?

This will also my last post on this thread. If it changes your mindset, my time isn't wasted. But I pity the fools who remain entrenched in propagating stupidity and nonsense, and who waste their time with perceived elitism and misogyny.

I bet NUS rejected u that’s why u sour

Unregistered 04-09-2021 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182054)
I bet NUS rejected u that’s why u sour

I'm not sour. I had an excellent supervising solicitor (from NUS) who highlighted the differences between academic and practical competence. This idea didn't come from me.

Admittedly, I was once you until I entered practice 3 years ago.

Anyway, not here to change your mind or start a debate. By all means, hold on to your beliefs. It's what makes you as a person, isn't it.

I'm off dude (until this forum is actually constructive and/or useful).

Unregistered 04-09-2021 04:47 PM

why tf is my TC now 1 year!!!!!!!!??????

Unregistered 04-09-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73864)
://.rollonfriday.com/TheNews/EuropeNews/tabid/58/Id/4235/fromTab/36/currentIndex/5/Default.aspx

"Exclusive: Singapore firm slaps down lawyer for spilling on slashed bonus"

Singapore firms are reducing their lawyers' bonuses and salaries, and one firm has disciplined one of its own lawyers for revealing details of the cuts.

Sources report that three of the so-called 'big four' firms in the country, Allen & Gledhill, Drew & Napier, Rajah & Tann, and Wong Partnership, have cut bonuses and, in some cases, reduced salaries. The country's biggest firm by headcount, Rodyk & Davidson, confirmed to RollOnFriday that the low end of its bonus had been dropped. A spokeswoman blamed "the regional ecomonic slowdown", saying that the last two years had been "exceptionally strong".

However that went down badly with at least one Rodyk & Davidson lawyer, who sent a photo of the email informing staff of the cuts to his friends. An insider says that the firm has now "taken action" against him, although its spokeswoman declined to clarify what the action was, telling RollOnFriday. "we cannot comment publicly about our internal employee management process".

watch out

Unregistered 04-09-2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182102)
watch out

That email made the spokeswoman lose face. $ the last two years had been "exceptionally strong" $ narrative is fake news. Today's POFMA should do DRD in instead for misleading statements
Be careful,

Unregistered 04-09-2021 08:47 PM

Damn salary.sg, glassdoor

are Sg lawyers not supposed to let others know ---->wat their pay and bonus is? ---->when pay and bonus has been cut?

Unregistered 04-09-2021 09:38 PM

That article was from 2015

Unregistered 04-09-2021 10:20 PM

how easy is it for sg qualified lawyers to find work overseas?

Unregistered 05-09-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182113)

Fat hope. If you are born a sinkie you must have done some bad karma in your previous life, nothing you can change about it.

Unregistered 05-09-2021 10:05 AM

PAY SECRECY

Does your law firm force you to keep your pay secret?

In the West there's PAY SECRECY LAWS prohibiting companies from punishing workers who disclose their pay.

Obviously SG does not have this* D'Rodyk was able to punish lawyer.

Unregistered 05-09-2021 10:10 AM

But if pay have to be secret, why hiring companies and law firms still can ask for last drawn pay?
Say if I am fr DRD, if I give my new firm this info, will I be punished?

Unregistered 05-09-2021 01:10 PM

What's the point? DRD clearly a sunset firmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182130)
PAY SECRECY

Does your law firm force you to keep your pay secret?

In the West there's PAY SECRECY LAWS prohibiting companies from punishing workers who disclose their pay.

Obviously SG does not have this* D'Rodyk was able to punish lawyer.

Unregistered 05-09-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182141)
What's the point? DRD clearly a sunset firmm

Why sunset?? Rodyk's sun ish rising hokays. Our liti, corp, IP is growing even stronger. I'm sure we will replace D&N as a big 4 firm soon!!!

Unregistered 05-09-2021 01:38 PM

Liddat means recruiter can sabo DRD CVs yah
Make DRD lawyer tell their pay, then sabo them to DRD HR. DRD lawyers u all dun go switch frms kk, diam diam say where u r for whole lifetime thx

Unregistered 05-09-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182131)
But if pay have to be secret, why hiring companies and law firms still can ask for last drawn pay?
Say if I am fr DRD, if I give my new firm this info, will I be punished?

the reverse ques should be - does DRD ask about salary when they hire? faceslap

Unregistered 05-09-2021 05:12 PM

Any idea about the pay at Morgan Lewis Stamford? Are they paying local B4 rates?

Unregistered 06-09-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182113)

Ignore the troll. I’m a SG qualified junior lawyer and was relocated to London by a US firm as the same PQE I was in SG. I wouldn’t say it was easy but your chances increase if (a) your practice area is in banking/M&A/funds/cap markets (b) you’re in a B4/international firm in SG and (c) you’ve a FCH or its equivalent from a SG university or you’re from Oxbridge.

As you’ll have to compete against other English qualified lawyers in the UK market who cost less to hire (if they do not require visa sponsorship), you need to think about your strengths and what you can bring to the table (eg mandarin speaking skills, high level of deal exposure).

You’ll be questioned on your motivations for moving abroad. Also be prepared to be grilled on your technicals during interviews as the partners need to assess your level of familiarity of the European market.

Unregistered 06-09-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182191)
Ignore the troll. I’m a SG qualified junior lawyer and was relocated to London by a US firm as the same PQE I was in SG. I wouldn’t say it was easy but your chances increase if (a) your practice area is in banking/M&A/funds/cap markets (b) you’re in a B4/international firm in SG and (c) you’ve a FCH or its equivalent from a SG university or you’re from Oxbridge.

As you’ll have to compete against other English qualified lawyers in the UK market who cost less to hire (if they do not require visa sponsorship), you need to think about your strengths and what you can bring to the table (eg mandarin speaking skills, high level of deal exposure).

You’ll be questioned on your motivations for moving abroad. Also be prepared to be grilled on your technicals during interviews as the partners need to assess your level of familiarity of the European market.

This story is very common nowadays so I won't call BS except for one part - "as the same PQE I was in SG". Talk to any recruiter and they will start laughing in your face if you say you want to get this. To put this another wat, you're basically saying you're a SG lawyer who got a 1.5 PQE promotion at the point of hiring. This doesn't happen. PQE cuts happen for a reason - because it's fair.

Unregistered 06-09-2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182199)
This story is very common nowadays so I won't call BS except for one part - "as the same PQE I was in SG". Talk to any recruiter and they will start laughing in your face if you say you want to get this. To put this another wat, you're basically saying you're a SG lawyer who got a 1.5 PQE promotion at the point of hiring. This doesn't happen. PQE cuts happen for a reason - because it's fair.

He said a US firm not a UK firm though. UK 2 years tc but US got meh? If he junior i.e. 1st or 2nd year and they take him, confirm matched pqe right?

Unregistered 06-09-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182206)
He said a US firm not a UK firm though. UK 2 years tc but US got meh? If he junior i.e. 1st or 2nd year and they take him, confirm matched pqe right?

I’m the OP. English qualified US firm associates in the UK have to do a 2 year TC. I was a 1Y associate in SG, and I was a 1Y associate in my firm in London. In a way, it wasn’t possible to cut my PQE because I’m 1Y. You may get a PQE cut if you move as a 2Y from SG but I can’t say with certainty as I don’t know anyone personally.

I know of someone who was a NQ (only with RLT + TC) in SG, and immediately taken as a 1Y associate with a US firm in the UK. That person got a PQE jump in a way, as other 1Y associates in the firm would have 2 years of training under their belt, while they had 1 year.

It’s also possible for you to be a 1Y in SG, and ask to be pegged as a 2Y for an associate role in a US firm. My recruiter was the one who suggested it but I wasn’t keen because for marginally more pay, there are higher expectations placed on you as a 2Y. I think it’s more important to look at the deals you’ve been placed on, and your levels of involvement on each deal instead of solely focusing on PQE. Someone may have 1 year more experience than you but they could’ve worked on less deals than you during their training or only really handled administrative tasks as opposed to drafting/project management. Don’t sell yourself short! I’ve found that firms in the UK are a lot more flexible with PQE but I’m aware that similar US firms in SG are not the same and would not take you as a 1Y in SG.

Unregistered 06-09-2021 02:01 PM

Is DRD a sunset firm propping itself up by combining with the Dentons to bolster the impression of its international capabilities? What is the gulf between DRD and the traditional B4?

Unregistered 06-09-2021 02:15 PM

Is that a general qn or is there something that you've heard that led you to the belief that DRD is a sunset firm? My understanding is that DRD actually bills more than the London office, and pay is competitive or even better than some B4.

Unregistered 06-09-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182218)
I’m the OP. English qualified US firm associates in the UK have to do a 2 year TC. I was a 1Y associate in SG, and I was a 1Y associate in my firm in London. In a way, it wasn’t possible to cut my PQE because I’m 1Y. You may get a PQE cut if you move as a 2Y from SG but I can’t say with certainty as I don’t know anyone personally.

I know of someone who was a NQ (only with RLT + TC) in SG, and immediately taken as a 1Y associate with a US firm in the UK. That person got a PQE jump in a way, as other 1Y associates in the firm would have 2 years of training under their belt, while they had 1 year.

It’s also possible for you to be a 1Y in SG, and ask to be pegged as a 2Y for an associate role in a US firm. My recruiter was the one who suggested it but I wasn’t keen because for marginally more pay, there are higher expectations placed on you as a 2Y. I think it’s more important to look at the deals you’ve been placed on, and your levels of involvement on each deal instead of solely focusing on PQE. Someone may have 1 year more experience than you but they could’ve worked on less deals than you during their training or only really handled administrative tasks as opposed to drafting/project management. Don’t sell yourself short! I’ve found that firms in the UK are a lot more flexible with PQE but I’m aware that similar US firms in SG are not the same and would not take you as a 1Y in SG.

are you uk-educated? won’t it be hard to sell to london firms if you have only nus/smu on your cv(no uk exp)

Unregistered 06-09-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182229)
are you uk-educated? won’t it be hard to sell to london firms if you have only nus/smu on your cv(no uk exp)

Dont feed the troll. OP clearly is from local uni and struggling in local firm earning local pay, but having a heallthy dose of fantasy

Unregistered 06-09-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182223)
Is that a general qn or is there something that you've heard that led you to the belief that DRD is a sunset firm? My understanding is that DRD actually bills more than the London office, and pay is competitive or even better than some B4.

Source? Where did the moolah go in 2020 when they forced another paycut. DRD is doing so well now? Or to the partners' pockets?

Unregistered 06-09-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182233)
Dont feed the troll. OP clearly is from local uni and struggling in local firm earning local pay, but having a heallthy dose of fantasy

What makes you think so? OP could clarify
It could be true, but he could be from UK uni. Not that possible to jump so early with no experience and no llb jd llm from UK or US.

Unregistered 06-09-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182229)

Yup I have a UK LLB (not Oxbridge though). The partners asked me about my time at university during my interview.

I know someone from NUS B4 who’s moved to a MC firm in London at 2+ PQE so it’s definitely possible. If you do cross border transactions and/or have worked on English law deals whether it’s as local counsel or deal counsel, these could be selling points to London firms as well.

Unregistered 07-09-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182223)

Dentons, like Bakers and DLA Piper, are in the category of "McDonalds" firms in London. Many franchises worldwide, but reputation is by no means MC or SC level. Not saying they aren't solid mid tier firms. But then, the City is chock full of solid mid tier firms.

Difference is, in the Singapore market, being the white worshippers that we are, glue yourself onto any tom dick and harry angmoh firm and you'll instantly gain a boost of outsized prestige.

In the Singapore market, Rodyk's standing is exactly what it is: number 5. This has been the case for decades since the merger with HelenYeo, and will continue to remain so for the foreseeable future, irrespective of the Dentons' branding.

Unregistered 07-09-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182308)
Dentons, like Bakers and DLA Piper, are in the category of "McDonalds" firms in London. Many franchises worldwide, but reputation is by no means MC or SC level. Not saying they aren't solid mid tier firms. But then, the City is chock full of solid mid tier firms.

Difference is, in the Singapore market, being the white worshippers that we are, glue yourself onto any tom dick and harry angmoh firm and you'll instantly gain a boost of outsized prestige.

In the Singapore market, Rodyk's standing is exactly what it is: number 5. This has been the case for decades since the merger with HelenYeo, and will continue to remain so for the foreseeable future, irrespective of the Dentons' branding.

you're probably quite right in re no. 5 position and mcdonalds. Baker was known as the McD of law firms maybe ten years ago - now their pay is somewhere between local b4 and true international.

Unregistered 07-09-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182244)
Source? Where did the moolah go in 2020 when they forced another paycut. DRD is doing so well now? Or to the partners' pockets?

paid back in full actually. same as wongp and other firms who levelled paycuts during CB etc.

Unregistered 07-09-2021 03:11 PM

How long or how many years will it take for me to reach 8k-10k salary per month? I'm currently a student overseas but I am concerned about paying off the 150k debt.