Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 27-11-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30951)
I attended 3 rounds of interviews with an SME before getting the offer. On the other hand, when I went to a stat board for a position in junior management, it's only 1 round of interview before they give you the offer.

Stat board junior management title means internally it is a non-manager exec level position. Stat boards and ministries now are suffering from title inflation

Unregistered 27-11-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30952)
Stat board junior management title means internally it is a non-manager exec level position. Stat boards and ministries now are suffering from title inflation

yes can confirm that. all deg fresh grads who join my stat board start off as managers or assistant managers, so the manager = executive over here

Unregistered 27-11-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30952)

I am the one who posted at 9:31AM.

Not really. The position I went for is an actual supervisory position, and according to the job scope I would be overseeing 2-3 teams and their respective team leaders. Not sure if that is considered junior or middle management.

Unregistered 27-11-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30957)
I am the one who posted at 9:31AM.

Not really. The position I went for is an actual supervisory position, and according to the job scope I would be overseeing 2-3 teams and their respective team leaders. Not sure if that is considered junior or middle management.

You are confusing between management ranking and supervising people.

When people say "manager" they usually mean the ranking & pay of a manager, how many people you supervise depend on dept and job scope. You can be a very junior executive and yet supervise 20+ Div2-4 workers for ops role. In corporate role the same junior executive is either 1-man show or only 2-3 reports. Very hard to generalise.

For eg. if you join my place AVA as a fresh grad operations manager, straight away will have 30+ people under you. But your pay, benefits, career planning and internal ranking is actually "executive".

For most stat boards, the real manager ranking i.e. when HR really consider you as manager is usually Dy Director & above external title.

Unregistered 27-11-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30961)
For most stat boards, the real manager ranking i.e. when HR really consider you as manager is usually Dy Director & above external title.

Wow AVA is quite strict, in EDB Senior Assistant Director onwards is already considered manager.

Unregistered 28-11-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 30917)
Just 1 round of interview you get the job? its a very junior post?
From what I know, I always went through at least 2 to 3 rounds before I get the job, this is not counting the salary nego round with HR or direct manager.
I think getting a mentor, (family or close friend) to practise interview skills is good. Also set your expectations right, many bobo pple I know, do not have the personality/skills that fit the company culture yet insist to keep interviewing for the same type of job over and over again.
So do homework and prepare yourself on the image most likely to score the offer.
Many times, if its a IC role, individual contributor, you not only need to be a team player, but also take initiative for change. Outspoken, knowing the right time to speak. Unless its a simple admin job, you dun need to be outspoken, just reliable and meticulous, so need to project this aura in the interview.

Dressing/mannerism, school CCA history will tell me some stuff about personality. Also the hobbies of a person. This is normally considered in interviews for junior positions.

For more senior roles, skills / decision making, though process would add in.
I practise often with a cousin to help him get a job, he did not get a job he liked, nor a salary scale he wanted, but at least got a job. Its quite depressing when after many rounds of interviews, while still at old contract job, he had to take up an ex post he left a 2 yrs ago. Feels like back to Sq 1. But this is an example of how a personality not suited to the type of job, yet persist to interview and seek out the same post over and over again. One day even if he does get the job, he will not excel in it.

I would consider a junior post and they do need someone urgently.

Currently interviewing for new job and reach 2nd interview for a higher position.

Unregistered 29-11-2012 11:15 AM

I need a job badly....

Unregistered 29-11-2012 04:16 PM

strmat entirely

being jobless allows you to be driven to look for a job.

being jobless allows you to think deeply about what you really want in live.

go with your dreams, you can't go wrong.

Unregistered 29-11-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31040)
being jobless allows you to be driven to look for a job.

being jobless allows you to think deeply about what you really want in live.

go with your dreams, you can't go wrong.

Sadly, dreams and reality are a vast difference...

Unregistered 30-11-2012 10:37 AM

Try to change reality then.

In order to change the people and world around you. first you need to change yourself.

Point-blank. Simple.