Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

poor and stupid 02-01-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobless 24 years old dude (Post 31804)
I find it hard to believe. If it's true then good for you =)

It is true, with a degree you basically get those kind of pay even thou the job does not require a degree caliber to perform. It is sad but i have seen expert diploma C/java programmers getting paid far less than "comp science" grads who cant code for nuts

Unregistered 02-01-2013 11:05 PM

Yes its true bro.

I dont like the job at all. I just stay for the money.

Unregistered 07-01-2013 12:18 PM

Any jobless professionals, executives, managers?

Seems like mostly fresh graduates are posting here about not being able to find a job.

I am curious, however, about early to mid-career professionals (say, in their 30-ies) who get laid out or quit. How long does it take for you to get a new position, especially if you are very specialized and relatively well paid (say 7k monthly and above)? Would like to hear about your jobless experience!

Unregistered 07-01-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32089)
Yes its true bro.

I dont like the job at all. I just stay for the money.

Same here. Counting the days to the next paycheck. Nothing motivating about my job except to wait for the pink slip.

Unregistered 07-01-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32199)
Same here. Counting the days to the next paycheck. Nothing motivating about my job except to wait for the pink slip.

u working for gov?
ever think about looking for a job that u have passion in?

Unregistered 08-01-2013 11:31 PM

Good time to test your preparations.

Hi,

Treat it as a real rather than a simulated test of your level of readiness.

It's been commonly advised to have 6 month's of (Gross) salary as 'buffer' in case of being jobless. [Qns: Have you heeded that sound advice?]

1) For those who had bought the 'retrenchment' insurance prior. Try claiming if and where possible. [Please feedback to readers here if these policies work as advertised? or they 'siam' and quote you motherhood statements that jobs are plentiful and avoided paying you?]

2) Insurance policies: Good time to reflect if overpurchased. [Review if you should need more coverage, or should have buy term insurance rather than Life policy. You are now in better position to advice or plan for your kids' policy needs or loves ones. Remind them: They can be jobless too. Don't overcommit.]

3) Housing. Time to take stock if the present abode is reasonably acceptable, or to continue to chase and catch-up or better still, overtake the 'Jones'. Life's reflection. Do you really need or want to be committed into paying over $5K monthly [Work your own loan repayment sums] for a perceived 'better' quality of life, with sleepness nights worrying about meeting the payment due dates? [People usually have short memories. If you do get back into employment, do recall and remember WELL that you were ever made jobless, before you commit into buying that bungalows/penthouse, 'what-ever'.]

4) Cars. Similar to point 3. [Assume depreciation at S$15K annually for a new/fairly new continental car. Are you prepared to pay over S$2K plus for the loan?] Good time to reflect and ask yourself what is true freedom? Financial or mobility?

5) Materials needs vs wants. [Hobbies, boats, watches] Refer to point 3 and 4. Are these paid in full, or through credit card loans?

6) Take this time-out period to read widely. For free. Head to the public libraries. Read on personal financial management books. Self improvement books. Read the magazines on your hobbies. It will positively stimulate your mind.

7) Meet with your 'friends'. or those you assume are your friends. Best time to 'test' their loyalty. Will they buy you a simple meal, you being jobless now? Or they will avoid you? You can sense it well. Useful to know and reassess friendship. Needs based or character based.

8) Walk in the park. Use the club. The best things in life are free. Go figure. Meet and organise more events with your love ones.

9) There are minor but plentiful stuff you had always wanted to clear. Have you washed your air-con filters lately? What about cleaning the fans at home? Clear and tidy the storeroom? What have you disposed of at home lately? Repaired or send to be serviced electrical items?

10) Cooked meals at home lately?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 30080)
How did you deal with it?

Any tips for looking for the next job?

Did you all make any adjustments to your lifestyle?

How did you all feel during this period?

been jobless since Aug. Been sending job applications since then. Either rejections or no replies. Feeling very desperate at the moment and feeling really sucks as I stay at home everyday. Now looking to give tuition classes to get some cash. Lucky I don't have a family yet else I will be really stressed. Any seniors here care to share their experience?

Unregistered 10-01-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32238)
Hi,

Treat it as a real rather than a simulated test of your level of readiness.

It's been commonly advised to have 6 month's of (Gross) salary as 'buffer' in case of being jobless. [Qns: Have you heeded that sound advice?]

1) For those who had bought the 'retrenchment' insurance prior. Try claiming if and where possible. [Please feedback to readers here if these policies work as advertised? or they 'siam' and quote you motherhood statements that jobs are plentiful and avoided paying you?]

2) Insurance policies: Good time to reflect if overpurchased. [Review if you should need more coverage, or should have buy term insurance rather than Life policy. You are now in better position to advice or plan for your kids' policy needs or loves ones. Remind them: They can be jobless too. Don't overcommit.]

3) Housing. Time to take stock if the present abode is reasonably acceptable, or to continue to chase and catch-up or better still, overtake the 'Jones'. Life's reflection. Do you really need or want to be committed into paying over $5K monthly [Work your own loan repayment sums] for a perceived 'better' quality of life, with sleepness nights worrying about meeting the payment due dates? [People usually have short memories. If you do get back into employment, do recall and remember WELL that you were ever made jobless, before you commit into buying that bungalows/penthouse, 'what-ever'.]

4) Cars. Similar to point 3. [Assume depreciation at S$15K annually for a new/fairly new continental car. Are you prepared to pay over S$2K plus for the loan?] Good time to reflect and ask yourself what is true freedom? Financial or mobility?

5) Materials needs vs wants. [Hobbies, boats, watches] Refer to point 3 and 4. Are these paid in full, or through credit card loans?

6) Take this time-out period to read widely. For free. Head to the public libraries. Read on personal financial management books. Self improvement books. Read the magazines on your hobbies. It will positively stimulate your mind.

7) Meet with your 'friends'. or those you assume are your friends. Best time to 'test' their loyalty. Will they buy you a simple meal, you being jobless now? Or they will avoid you? You can sense it well. Useful to know and reassess friendship. Needs based or character based.

8) Walk in the park. Use the club. The best things in life are free. Go figure. Meet and organise more events with your love ones.

9) There are minor but plentiful stuff you had always wanted to clear. Have you washed your air-con filters lately? What about cleaning the fans at home? Clear and tidy the storeroom? What have you disposed of at home lately? Repaired or send to be serviced electrical items?

10) Cooked meals at home lately?

As useful as your checklist may help, most of people dun so much until we can save like crazy. 3k cash is minimum without car. and when the property crashes, 5k is minimum just to keep it...

Unregistered 13-01-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32199)

yeah, whats a pink slip. my pay slip is online one..

Unregistered 13-01-2013 11:54 PM

Pink slip means letter of termination.

Unregistered 14-01-2013 11:01 AM

Hey people, I came across this website: www.transitioning.org. set up by this person called Gilbert Goh. In terms being unemployed, feeling depressed and down, he been there, seen that and done that. He set up the site to share his experience and it has become like a place for similarly affected people to share their experiences as well.

If you are now unemployed, feeling stressed, desperate or depressed and just need a listening ear, you may want to take a look there. Understand they have counsellors who can help free of charge.