Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 17-02-2014 08:37 AM

Why not become an entrepreneur? Be a hawker or a property agent? They can earn big bucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48332)
Hi guys

Jobless NUS Grad here. Have been applying for "degree holder" job positions but so far -- nothing! Was wondering if I should apply for jobs meant for diploma holders?

Will HR give us degree holders a chance at diploma jobs? Or will they just see our resume and discard?

Anyone in similar dilemma before?

Thanks guys..I'm still awake at this ungodly hour!

Unregistered 17-02-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48336)
Why not become an entrepreneur? Be a hawker or a property agent? They can earn big bucks.

entrepreneur is overrated. been a hawker before. Be a licensed hawker need to pay upfront stall fees and ingredients, risk of no customers and bad weather.

being an entrepreneur of most sorts require some form of capital to start with. no doubt can earn big but life is not easy. in fact, most startups fail within 1 year.

property agent is still a great route. but cold calling and getting initial customer base is hard work.

no doubt the above can earn big bucks. but it comes through really hard work. On the other hand, you only need 10% effort in an office environment for the same amount of pay and risk of losing your income.

either you spruce up your resume and cover letter, or get a recruiter to help you in your search. try taking internships or even unpaid labour to gain experience and network with professionals, or do some volunteer work. beats sitting at home doing nothing.

aspenx 17-02-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48332)
Hi guys

Jobless NUS Grad here. Have been applying for "degree holder" job positions but so far -- nothing! Was wondering if I should apply for jobs meant for diploma holders?

Will HR give us degree holders a chance at diploma jobs? Or will they just see our resume and discard?

Anyone in similar dilemma before?

Thanks guys..I'm still awake at this ungodly hour!

What did you graduate with and what did you study?

Unregistered 17-02-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 48351)
What did you graduate with and what did you study?

Im guessing its science field..

Unregistered 17-02-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48362)
Im guessing its science field..

Oh not science. I grad from NUS FASS.

Unregistered 17-02-2014 11:24 PM

Strange how people seeking job advise post so little details about themselves and then ask for advise, then the people with jobs reply back in so much detail or query them for more information. Every person asking for advise have to wait until someone comes along and ask them for more details before providing.

Its not surprising people asking for advise on the thread have troubles finding a job, seems a constant barrage of spoon feeding going on.

Unregistered 17-02-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48375)
Strange how people seeking job advise post so little details about themselves and then ask for advise, then the people with jobs reply back in so much detail or query them for more information. Every person asking for advise have to wait until someone comes along and ask them for more details before providing.

Its not surprising people asking for advise on the thread have troubles finding a job, seems a constant barrage of spoon feeding going on.

*Advice not advise.

Unregistered 17-02-2014 11:39 PM

Thanks for the correction, but it doesn't change the point I'm making.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48376)
*Advice not advise.

Unregistered 18-02-2014 12:06 AM

Hmm actually the person is asking if he (a degree holder) should apply for jobs that only need diploma qualifications. I think that is the point of the question.

Unregistered 18-02-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48380)
Hmm actually the person is asking if he (a degree holder) should apply for jobs that only need diploma qualifications. I think that is the point of the question.

Hmm..that depends on the person's type of qualification (Major) and direction and market supply of that job.