Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 30-11-2012 12:46 PM

jobless 39 grad, with less than 200k
what are my options?
investing for dividend yield? property agent? cab driver?

poor and stupid 30-11-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31080)
what are my options?

look for another job?

If you take a pay cut of more than 30% surely got people will want to hire.

200k yield is too little to survive on, just look for another job...

Unregistered 01-12-2012 05:15 PM

I have been looking for a job in database marketing, customer data analytics, or customer intelligence but I only have a part-time degree in marketing with no prior experience. How can I get companies to employ me? Do I need to get more certification or what???

Unregistered 01-12-2012 10:59 PM

No pain no gain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31080)
what are my options?

You can have both. That is, invest the 200k for dividend, and get a job. Investing in stocks is not without risks, but it is better than keeping the money in cash. There are Reits that pay out dividends of more than 6% yearly. So that's 12k per year for 200k investment. This will help tide you over until you get that next job.

Unregistered 01-12-2012 11:42 PM

I was jobless for 1 year and 3 months. mid 40s, ex-HOD, net worth 2.4mil , no debt

-was feeling lost and hopeless after 6 months of search

- cut down all expenses to the minimum, eat one meal a day

- take a break if u r fed up with no response, but never give up, try cold call, lower ones expectation. Talk to friends and contacts, gather infos, stay positive.

Unregistered 02-12-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31122)
I was jobless for 1 year and 3 months. mid 40s, ex-HOD, net worth 2.4mil , no debt

-was feeling lost and hopeless after 6 months of search

- cut down all expenses to the minimum, eat one meal a day

- take a break if u r fed up with no response, but never give up, try cold call, lower ones expectation. Talk to friends and contacts, gather infos, stay positive.

Is it that much harder to find employment after you've been a teAcher?

cslee 02-12-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31123)
Is it that much harder to find employment after you've been a teAcher?

Don't think he's a teacher. A teacher won't go hungry. Look at the lucrative educational businesses that they setup after leaving MOE.

Unregistered 02-12-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 31131)
Don't think he's a teacher. A teacher won't go hungry. Look at the lucrative educational businesses that they setup after leaving MOE.

He stated ex-HOD there.

anyway what I am clarifying with him is is it that much harder for companies to employ you, seeing that all your life you've spent is in a school? Perhaps, lack of real-world experiences?

Unregistered 03-12-2012 12:04 AM

Guys, I m not a teacher, but was a head of the engineering department.

Unregistered 03-12-2012 08:13 AM

If our bus drivers salary can increased to $3k plus, we will have many Sporeans (only Sporeans, no PRs pls) will drive a bus.

Right now, we employ cheap foreign workers to drive our buses and have to spend our scarce land resources to build dormitory for them. Doesn't make sense in the long run.

In places like Australia, bus and cab drivers are very well paid, they don't need foreign workers.