Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision.html)

Unregistered 10-07-2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141387)
The government sector appears to punish those who make any mistake in their career. I joined a stat board at the start of this year but it turns out to be the wrong job fit and went to apply for jobs after 3 months. Every interview the panel will say I job hop even after I explained the reason for looking out and reject me. Like that is no one allowed to make a mistake? Then they have to suffer at the wrong company for how many more months or years then is more politically correct to look again?

Hey, dont be disheartened! If I may offer some hope/consolation, I also had very short 1-3 month stints on my resume but i managed to get job at a stat board anyway. I think the way you explain it really matters, because to the SB hiring it may seem like the problem was you, i.e. you are not a good fit for public sector/may not be in it for the long run, hence the decision to turn you down. In my case i guess it helped that my stints were from private sector, so i could play the whole "wanted to explore options in private sector before finally settling down in public sector" to let them know it was experimental and that my passion lays here.

Definitely try not too be too honest w your explanation, like saying that xx didnt suit you/you didnt like the culture etc/werent a good fit. Keep it vague and try to smoke them a bit lol. But this is a good lesson to other new hires, better to stick it out in a job for 1 year and build a resume than hop about 3 months each :(

Unregistered 12-07-2020 10:15 PM

Anyone experienced waiting to sign the contract for weeks?

Unregistered 13-07-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141578)
Anyone experienced waiting to sign the contract for weeks?

Hi, I'm not in SB but in uniform service. Signing soon after a month of waiting (after getting the acceptance email last month).

Unregistered 13-07-2020 02:30 PM

Contract to perm position

Hello,

I have received a 3-mth contract offer from MSF via an external recruitment agency. Just wondering what are the chances of the contract to be converted into a perm position?

Unregistered 13-07-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141624)
Hello,

I have received a 3-mth contract offer from MSF via an external recruitment agency. Just wondering what are the chances of the contract to be converted into a perm position?

Frankly, nobody here will know.

It is best you ask your bosses and Human Resources.

Congrats btw, what role is this?

sinkingfeeling 13-07-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141462)
Hey, dont be disheartened! If I may offer some hope/consolation, I also had very short 1-3 month stints on my resume but i managed to get job at a stat board anyway. I think the way you explain it really matters, because to the SB hiring it may seem like the problem was you, i.e. you are not a good fit for public sector/may not be in it for the long run, hence the decision to turn you down. In my case i guess it helped that my stints were from private sector, so i could play the whole "wanted to explore options in private sector before finally settling down in public sector" to let them know it was experimental and that my passion lays here.

Definitely try not too be too honest w your explanation, like saying that xx didnt suit you/you didnt like the culture etc/werent a good fit. Keep it vague and try to smoke them a bit lol. But this is a good lesson to other new hires, better to stick it out in a job for 1 year and build a resume than hop about 3 months each :(

Luckily I don't even need to bother because I'm a private uni grad, no such worries :(

jasonjason 14-07-2020 10:37 AM

Hi Guys

During economic crisis, has there been any rescind of offers, or termination after probation period in public sector?

I have been to multiple interviews so far, and after seeing the gdp contract so much... i'm having 2nd thoughts if i should accept any offer and resign.

Unregistered 14-07-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonjason (Post 141675)
Hi Guys

During economic crisis, has there been any rescind of offers, or termination after probation period in public sector?

I have been to multiple interviews so far, and after seeing the gdp contract so much... i'm having 2nd thoughts if i should accept any offer and resign.

why resign if you alr have job??

Unregistered 14-07-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141698)
why resign if you alr have job??

No progress in current job, other exciting jobs came up in my radar

Unregistered 14-07-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonjason (Post 141675)
Hi Guys

and in an recession, one can get retrenched from current job. everything has a risk.

if your new company take back the offer, then just take back your letter of resignation from your current company