Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision.html)

SS Tan 25-06-2012 04:36 PM

Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision

Hi,

What's the typical process that takes place in the Civil service or statboard from the closing date of CV submission to finally selecting the candidate ? what is the duration of each of these steps ?

Unregistered 27-06-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS Tan (Post 26071)
Hi,

What's the typical process that takes place in the Civil service or statboard from the closing date of CV submission to finally selecting the candidate ? what is the duration of each of these steps ?

Normally, if they see you fit for interview, they will call you up for appt within 3 weeks of closing date of CV submission.

After that, if you passed the interview, they will normally take 1 week (?) before calling you to offer you the job. Anyone can confirm ?

Unregistered 27-06-2012 11:14 PM

different govt organisations have different practices. it varies between few days to few weeks or even few months (very rare).

Unregistered 29-06-2012 01:34 PM

Different ministries and stat boards have different interviewing processes. But if they had indicated that they will get back to you by 2 weeks, you will get a response by then, even a rejection email.

Unregistered 29-06-2012 01:55 PM

Doesn't the long process make it seems like there is no urgency in looking for a candidate to fill the position?

Even if the your availability is immediate, by the time they respond, you probably have gotten job offers else where and have to reject their interview?

lmaohaha 29-06-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26223)
Doesn't the long process make it seems like there is no urgency in looking for a candidate to fill the position?

Even if the your availability is immediate, by the time they respond, you probably have gotten job offers else where and have to reject their interview?

some statboards dun even bother to change your online status. i have around 10 positions still at 'submitted' status after one month.my guess is that the position has been filled. while others are quite efficient, takes only a couple of days for it to be 'in progress'.

datou 29-06-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmaohaha (Post 26225)
some statboards dun even bother to change your online status. i have around 10 positions still at 'submitted' status after one month.my guess is that the position has been filled. while others are quite efficient, takes only a couple of days for it to be 'in progress'.

can share which ministry or stat board very fast change status one?

Unregistered 29-06-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datou (Post 26234)

Do not be surprised with SB/ministries (especially large companies for that matter) that take a long time to reply or change status in career.gov.

if there are 1000 employees in a Ministry, turnover is 5% per annum (i.e. 50 resignations), and there are about 20 HR staff who have to deal with thousands of applications (e.g. 50 jobs x 50-100 applicants = 2500-5000 applications)...

imagine having to contact applicants, arrange for interviews, offer shortlisted candidates, candidates may not accept offer, start recruitment process all over again, etc...

Back-end HR work is tedious...

Imagine mega Ministry like MOE with almost 40,000 staff (5% turnover = 2000 resignations)... can faint leh...

Unregistered 29-06-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

could be possible if they are looking to fill positions that will be vacant in the near future e.g. due to retirement.

Unregistered 29-06-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datou (Post 26234)

usually is quick to reject lol. MTI, NPTD, MinLaw, PMO, AGD,

Unregistered 30-06-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

if u need a job urgently , do not apply for govt job cus usually govt job take longer to process.

lmaohaha 30-06-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26250)
if u need a job urgently , do not apply for govt job cus usually govt job take longer to process.

on avr how long for govt job to call u up for interview from closing date of advert?

Unregistered 30-06-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

I feel that it's polite that the HR let the candidates know as soon as he's not selected to progress further in the process. This will allow the candidate to close the case mentally/ emotionally.

Unregistered 30-06-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmaohaha (Post 26252)
on avr how long for govt job to call u up for interview from closing date of advert?

Normally, it's within 2-3 weeks if you're considered the best-potential among all the CV submission. If not, it might be 1-2 months later, if say, the first candidate went through 2 rounds and decided not to take up offer becos of low offer in salary. This whole process can last 1 mth and come your turn.

Unregistered 08-07-2012 05:19 PM

Since we are in the topic of applying jobs in stat boards, does anyone know why some certain stat boards do not provide 'apply now' button but instead require us to apply via their website?

All the resume and details are readily available in the account I have signed up but I have to redo everything for the positions I am applying for. Besides, some of their application forms aren't very flexible (expected graduation, class of hons etc)

Unregistered 11-07-2012 11:52 AM

i went for an interview on 28 June with the Dir, AD and Head. The Dir mentioned that there might be a 2nd interview but no news yet :( the wait is so longgg....

ceruleanroses 13-07-2012 02:11 PM

my personal experience, i applied a lot of jobs at careers@gov. some status still put me as submitted even though it has been months.

anyway for second round interview, if after 2 weeks still no news, you can expect that you are not shortlisted.

Unregistered 13-07-2012 11:59 PM

In my case of applying for a DD role in a statboard during my mid career switch, it takes six weeks to finally confirmed my success....Six weeks is from the closure of the advertisement...to 1st interview...to "so-called apporval/ clearance" tilll receiving verbal confirmation of offer from the HR.

ceruleanroses 14-07-2012 12:24 AM

thats really fast!!!! i applied for ministry in early may. got called up in june. got a verbal offer in the final week of june. and now, i am pending clearance for 2 weeks already!

Unregistered 16-07-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceruleanroses (Post 26608)
my personal experience, i applied a lot of jobs at careers@gov. some status still put me as submitted even though it has been months.

anyway for second round interview, if after 2 weeks still no news, you can expect that you are not shortlisted.

heard from my friends they waited for as long as 1 mth to be called up for 2nd interview.

Unregistered 17-07-2012 02:22 AM

I was shortlisted for an interview at a stat board. I got the offer within 6 hours. If they are really keen on hiring you, they will give you a verbal offer real soon.

Unregistered 17-07-2012 10:12 AM

And if you see the job position posted again 2 hours after your interview on the careers.gov website, means it's time to go for another one. Happened to my relative before.

lmaohaha 17-07-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26687)
And if you see the job position posted again 2 hours after your interview on the careers.gov website, means it's time to go for another one. Happened to my relative before.

not true. i went for an interview, cleared round 1, the job advert appeared again a few hours later, den a few days later i got the invitation for round2 interview. i guess some adverts are programmed to appear on the website after every 2wks or a mth.either they have many vacancies or its juz a routine thingy.

Unregistered 23-07-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26680)
I was shortlisted for an interview at a stat board. I got the offer within 6 hours. If they are really keen on hiring you, they will give you a verbal offer real soon.

which stat board is that? 6 hours sounds dubious. as they usually need to do the necessary clearance before making an offer.

Unregistered 23-07-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26903)
which stat board is that? 6 hours sounds dubious. as they usually need to do the necessary clearance before making an offer.

Either the candidate is exceptionally good that die die must recruit or the agency very desperate to fill up the post at very short period.

Unregistered 29-07-2012 01:41 AM

i was offered one day after my 2nd interview with a stat board... even didn't mind me wanting to join 2 mths later than the previously stated 1 mth notice start date

fi_east 30-07-2012 03:54 PM

I went interview at 2pm.. 4pm they call me that i got the job and must submit further documents.. have gone medical.. now waiting to sign agreement.. 2 weeks has pass and still no calls to sign agreement.. haha.. took so long.. btw mine not stat board..

Unregistered 30-07-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fi_east (Post 27208)
I went interview at 2pm.. 4pm they call me that i got the job and must submit further documents.. have gone medical.. now waiting to sign agreement.. 2 weeks has pass and still no calls to sign agreement.. haha.. took so long.. btw mine not stat board..

If it is ministry, then all your paperwork will likely be done at Vital.

Unregistered 06-11-2012 11:33 AM

Hi,

does anyone know how long after an interview will the outcome be known? Will there be a rejection letter sent?

I applied for a position in a Statutory Board. Got an interview within 2 weeks. Was ask for further documents (payslip, etc) 2 weeks after the interview (as part of the "recruitment process"), and I have not heard anything for 2 months now.

Unregistered 11-12-2012 11:04 AM

will you be blacklisted if you reject a job offer from stat board? or public sector in general...

tobyhund 13-12-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26903)

I think if they are desperate and/or really like you, it is not impossible.

Once I had an interview with a stat board where the Director seemed rather keen. Asked me if I will take the job if being offered. Obviously I said yes and the following day, they made me a verbal offer and the actual offer came in a week after that.

Of course the norm seems to be a rather slow process based on experience. Typically, they will call you up for an interview 1-2 months after the CV submission has closed. Second interviews are usually another month away. The actual offer will come another 2-4 weeks away. So expect 3 months or more in all.

Unregistered 13-12-2012 07:53 PM

Yes, about 3 months, and can hit 4 months to actual first day of work.

wern 21-05-2013 09:18 PM

Hi guys, thread digger here.

I received an email from PUB saying that the interview panel found me suitable for the role and now HR needs to send for "management approval" before making an offer.

Of course I have no criminal, medical probs of any sort.
Can I safely assume that I've gotten the job?

Unregistered 23-05-2013 12:30 PM

just to let you all be aware. certain openings are purposely open on career.gov are just posted to test water on the market only. so dun pin too much hope on the job u apply

Unregistered 23-05-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern (Post 37354)

I received an email from PUB saying that the interview panel found me suitable for the role and now HR needs to send for "management approval" before making an offer.

80% chance.
management may not like your face? or they may have other headcount plans

Unregistered 24-05-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37418)
just to let you all be aware. certain openings are purposely open on career.gov are just posted to test water on the market only. so dun pin too much hope on the job u apply

Or as "backup" candidates to interview when their internal rotation plan didn't pan out - have been told in several occasions, after interviews, that the position has been filled by internal candidates - what a waste of our time

Unregistered 31-05-2013 05:55 PM

scscles great

I went for a 2nd interview at the Intellectual Property Office 4 weeks back and had not had any emails/ mails from them on the status since then. Should I assume it's already gone case or what? Haiz, I thought I would at least get some notification if I failed the 2nd round...

Unregistered 24-06-2013 07:09 PM

no news is bad news

Unregistered 27-06-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern (Post 37354)

How long do you wait for the email after your interview?

yisi 27-06-2013 10:44 AM

Hi wern,

May i check with you what questions they asked you during the pub interview? how the salary package?