Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision.html)

Unregistered 20-12-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194323)
Are you a Uni grad?

Yup I am. Last Sem

Unregistered 20-12-2021 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194324)
Yup I am. Last Sem

Same. But what made you accept Customs’ offer?

Unregistered 20-12-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194325)
Same. But what made you accept Customs’ offer?

Personally good job and all imo. U?

Unregistered 20-12-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194326)
Personally good job and all imo. U?

You applied for senior right? I think the pay is slightly lower than expected. So I don’t know if I should accept it

Unregistered 20-12-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194328)
You applied for senior right? I think the pay is slightly lower than expected. So I don’t know if I should accept it

Yup senior. Hmm, I think pay wise it’s ok for me. Anws do you want to talk on another platform?

Unregistered 20-12-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194329)
Yup senior. Hmm, I think pay wise it’s ok for me. Anws do you want to talk on another platform?

Sure, you can PM me on Reddit? Username: gunnercoyg

Unregistered 20-12-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194330)
Sure, you can PM me on Reddit? Username: gunnercoyg

Ok Pm-Ed you already

Unregistered 20-12-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194322)
Hi, because I am only graduating after next Sem of sch, HR said they would inform me when I would start again. How about you? Also do you know how long vital takes before they give out the LOA? Quite worried cause it’s been 3 weeks for me since the HR said vital would contact me.

Ahh i see i see. I requested to start work on 01/22 instead as it make more sense rather then i start on this month…if based on my exp, vital took about 2-3 weeks uh, but guess they are consolidating all the applicants that accept the offer and maybe email all at the same time and date? Hahaha cause they told me to confirm by latest today.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194341)
Ahh i see i see. I requested to start work on 01/22 instead as it make more sense rather then i start on this month…if based on my exp, vital took about 2-3 weeks uh, but guess they are consolidating all the applicants that accept the offer and maybe email all at the same time and date? Hahaha cause they told me to confirm by latest today.

I see there are recently quite a few people here who accepted Customs’ offer. I am currently working there, so feel free to ask me if you wish to know more about Customs (in-depth stuff).

Unregistered 21-12-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194406)
I see there are recently quite a few people here who accepted Customs’ offer. I am currently working there, so feel free to ask me if you wish to know more about Customs (in-depth stuff).

Can a junior officer starts with enforcement/ plain clothes posting first?
How do they determine the postings?
Shift pattern, training and duration of training?

Thank you!

Unregistered 21-12-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194442)
Can a junior officer starts with enforcement/ plain clothes posting first?
How do they determine the postings?
Shift pattern, training and duration of training?

Thank you!

Junior officers are mostly posted to enforcement/frontline branches as they have the most positions, hence the chance of you starting with either an enforcement or frontline (ie checkpoints) posting is quite high. The shift pattern depends on where you are posted to. For instance, frontline postings mostly have a cyclic shift pattern (3 x 7/8 hour shifts - morning/afternoon/night) whereas enforcement branches may differ from each other in terms of shift due to the difference in work eg morning/afternoon shift and then the usual morning/afternoon/night shifts). Training also differs from branch to branch, mostly are OJT although enforcement branches provide additional defensive training in order to restrain/defend yourself from aggressive offenders.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194542)
Junior officers are mostly posted to enforcement/frontline branches as they have the most positions, hence the chance of you starting with either an enforcement or frontline (ie checkpoints) posting is quite high. The shift pattern depends on where you are posted to. For instance, frontline postings mostly have a cyclic shift pattern (3 x 7/8 hour shifts - morning/afternoon/night) whereas enforcement branches may differ from each other in terms of shift due to the difference in work eg morning/afternoon shift and then the usual morning/afternoon/night shifts). Training also differs from branch to branch, mostly are OJT although enforcement branches provide additional defensive training in order to restrain/defend yourself from aggressive offenders.

Thank you for the useful info. During my interview, they did asked me if i can run and if i can handle difficult situations. Coming from enforcement background of almost 7 years, i answered them yes i can.

Are we allowed to express interest in enforcement posting first? Like those hardcore unit i read about doing raids in geylang area? Hahaha.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Oooh nice! Thank you for sharing…really appreciate it. Are we allowed to express interest in the enforcement posting first?

Unregistered 21-12-2021 10:47 PM

Quote:

How about senior officers? What’s the first posting like?

Unregistered 21-12-2021 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194544)
Oooh nice! Thank you for sharing…really appreciate it. Are we allowed to express interest in the enforcement posting first?

You may, but it does not really play a role in your eventual posting.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194546)
How about senior officers? What’s the first posting like?

More senior officers also start with an enforcement/frontline posting as these divisions usually have the most vacancies too, but nowadays it is not a given as they can send you to any branch with vacancies ie non-enforcement/frontline posting.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194550)
More senior officers also start with an enforcement/frontline posting as these divisions usually have the most vacancies too, but nowadays it is not a given as they can send you to any branch with vacancies ie non-enforcement/frontline posting.

I see. Can you provide more info regarding training and equipment?

Unregistered 22-12-2021 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194549)
You may, but it does not really play a role in your eventual posting.

Nice… do they ask or give us a choice ? Can we choose where we want to be posted to for the subsequent posting?
And are frontline/ enforcement branch entitled to extra allowance like risk/ shift?

Unregistered 22-12-2021 01:46 AM

Hi, HR called me that they are keen to process my application further but subject to approvals. Wonder how the procedure is like, if its scenario 1 or 2?

Scenario 1:
- Reference check
- Verbal offer
- Clearance

Scenario 2:
- Verbal offer
- Reference check
- Clearance

Appreciate if anyone can share their experience. :)

Unregistered 22-12-2021 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194558)
Hi, HR called me that they are keen to process my application further but subject to approvals. Wonder how the procedure is like, if its scenario 1 or 2?

Scenario 1:
- Reference check
- Verbal offer
- Clearance

Scenario 2:
- Verbal offer
- Reference check
- Clearance

Appreciate if anyone can share their experience. :)

-panel
-security clearance
-reference check
-finalised application
- higher up approval
-verbal /email offer
-vital email LOA

Unregistered 22-12-2021 09:41 AM

Hi. New here. Recently offered for position of customs officer with singapore customs. Now waiting for vital to email the contract.

Do anyone here know how long vital will get in touch with us?

Thank you!

Unregistered 22-12-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194573)
Hi. New here. Recently offered for position of customs officer with singapore customs. Now waiting for vital to email the contract.

Thank you!

Been waiting for 2weeks plus for the LOA to come in, not sure what’s gg on also.

Unregistered 22-12-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194576)
Been waiting for 2weeks plus for the LOA to come in, not sure what’s gg on also.

I see, guys let’s update here once we get the LOA from vital ya. :)

Unregistered 22-12-2021 02:58 PM

Is there a difference between Vital giving the Letter of Offer vs direct contract from the agency? Thanks

Unregistered 22-12-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194613)
Is there a difference between Vital giving the Letter of Offer vs direct contract from the agency? Thanks

when you say agency, are you referring to recruitment agency or?

Unregistered 22-12-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194616)
when you say agency, are you referring to recruitment agency or?

No, i am referring government agency. Vital is for government agency.

Unregistered 23-12-2021 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194677)
No, i am referring government agency. Vital is for government agency.

some agency outsource this portion to vital

Unregistered 23-12-2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194613)

Basically some agencies use vital while others prep the contract with their in house HR.

Unregistered 23-12-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194680)
Basically some agencies use vital while others prep the contract with their in house HR.

Does anyone know why vital is taking so long to send the LOA? isit cause Christmas period or smth?

Unregistered 23-12-2021 11:48 AM

Anyone posted to air checkpoint branch with singapore customs?

Unregistered 23-12-2021 02:00 PM

Spent 5 years in a ministry. Recently got offered a position in an agency. HR mentioned that it’s typical for them to have 2 years contract with chances of converting to perm after 1.5y. Can I check if anyone know that this is normal? A 2 years contract on the first instance and not a perm appt instead. Thank you!

Unregistered 23-12-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194726)
Spent 5 years in a ministry. Recently got offered a position in an agency. HR mentioned that it’s typical for them to have 2 years contract with chances of converting to perm after 1.5y. Can I check if anyone know that this is normal? A 2 years contract on the first instance and not a perm appt instead. Thank you!

Yes, this is the trend. All agencies and ministries offered contract at first instance. Usually will convert if not will just keep renew your contract until there is headcount to convert.

Unregistered 23-12-2021 02:19 PM

Ever heard of anybody not being able to covert to perm after the contract? Idk if it’s a risk to take, considering that I’m holding on to a perm position now…

Unregistered 23-12-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194730)
Ever heard of anybody not being able to covert to perm after the contract? Idk if it’s a risk to take, considering that I’m holding on to a perm position now…

for contract, max is 2+2 or 2+1 and have to convert else is bye bye

Unregistered 24-12-2021 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194742)
for contract, max is 2+2 or 2+1 and have to convert else is bye bye

For which agency?

Unregistered 24-12-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194573)

Thank you!

Hello can I ask if you’ve gotten ur LOA already?

Unregistered 24-12-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194559)
-panel
-security clearance
-reference check
-finalised application
- higher up approval
-verbal /email offer
-vital email LOA

Do you know how long it takes from verbal/email offer to vital email?

Unregistered 24-12-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194835)
Hello can I ask if you’ve gotten ur LOA already?

Hi. No i have not get my LOA, but yesterday the HR emailed me to submit my bank details and passport sized photo… and also say that they will advice on which date to start work.. most prob soon vital will get in touch… what about you?

Unregistered 24-12-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194836)
Do you know how long it takes from verbal/email offer to vital email?

I think depends on the vital who is handling for diff agency? Not really sure.. maybe a week or 2?

Unregistered 24-12-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194846)
Hi. No i have not get my LOA, but yesterday the HR emailed me to submit my bank details and passport sized photo… and also say that they will advice on which date to start work.. most prob soon vital will get in touch… what about you?

Strange cause for me I submitted all my documents since the start of this month and then HR told me vital will contact me but as of now I haven’t heard back from vital yet.