Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

Unregistered 23-07-2015 11:37 PM

why does it seem like suddenly everyone wants to switch to HR??

Unregistered 24-07-2015 02:30 AM

I originally posted this in OCt 2013

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 43590)
Hi, I'm working as an HR executive at a local SME that does staffing for engineering and O&G firms. My role is a generalist position that involves payroll processing, leave management, invoicing clients, work pass application and generally being the first point of contact for the employees. In addition I also handle office admin work.

I have just started working full time recently. I was unemployed for 4 years, before finally getting a part time position as an office admin that paid $7 an hour. After working there for 8 months i got my first full time job as an HR exec with a pay of $1800. I worked there only for 2 months before finding my current job with a pay of $2200. While pay was one of the main reasons for leaving after only 2 months, I was also interested in changing the industry i was working in. I have now worked here for 3 months and I plan to stick on till I complete one year.
I would like to know how to get a break into an MNC and what are the kind of HR positions I could try for. I want to earn a decent salary of around 4000 within the next 1-2 years. My personal favorite is L&D, but i have no experience in that area.However I'm open to other HR positions also.

Would appreciate advise from the forummers here. Thanks in advance.

-Bingle

Except for a couple of posters, I received mostly vitriol and sarcastic comments from the others like below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordlad (Post 43704)
i was reading Bingle's post with curiosity as well....as in how a Master's degree holder ends up doing $7/hr job.......kinda makes the master degree useless...

(p.s. i am 'only' a diploma holder)..

So i stopped reading after till the above post but I didn't stop trying to get a better job. I continued in my last job for almost 2 years ( 1 yr and 8 months). My hubby and I were blessed with a baby daughter during the time. I made it a point to return back to work after my 3 month maternity leave so as not to have another gap in my career.

My salary didn't change since my joining that company in 2013 so after a few months back from maternity I started applying for better jobs and early this year I got another HR generalist position at a startup. Finally I got an HR job that didn't have basic admin work as part of the job duties. Salary also was better at $3k.

I thought maybe after completing 1 year I could ask for $3500. But as the saying goes - "Knock and the door shall be opened". I still kept applying to other interesting positions that I saw and as luck would have it a recruiter reached out to me for another position.

It was a contract position but at an MNC - an international bank. The interviews went fine and they said they would make me an offer. I still had my target amount of $4000 in my head. The same target that I had set back in 2013. But i chickened out and asked for $3800 instead. Sort of like a compromise with my self. But lo and behold, the recruiter said that the hiring manager liked my profile and qualifications that they had put in an offer for $4500!!!

Long story short - Don't ever let go of your dreams. There will be a lot of naysayers who say it can't be done. But keep your confidence in yourself and nothing is impossible. I wanted so badly to get a decent paying job in HR. I started out in Manila as a recruiter with good pay and then after coming to SG I was unemployed for 4 years.
I started at the bottom-most rung of the corporate ladder as a part time admin earning less or equal to a McDonalds worker. When I wrote my original post in 2013, while at my 2nd full time job, forummers replied that it was impossible to double my salary in 2 years. Today, exactly 2 years and 1 month from when I started that job, I have in fact more than doubled my salary from that paltry pay.
Of course this isn't the end but its a much needed reboot to my stalled career. My next target is to get into L&D. Hopefully working in a big organization I will get an opportunity sooner or later.

-Bingle

luxholic 24-07-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70453)
why does it seem like suddenly everyone wants to switch to HR??

If you have nothing to contribute, don't waste space by typing such comments here. What are you trying to prove? This is a forum for sharing and people are in here for a reason related to the topic. I am here to seek advise and will appreciate if anyone can offer something useful and not questioning or waiting for a chance to criticize people.

Unregistered 24-07-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxholic (Post 70478)
If you have nothing to contribute, don't waste space by typing such comments here. What are you trying to prove? This is a forum for sharing and people are in here for a reason related to the topic. I am here to seek advise and will appreciate if anyone can offer something useful and not questioning or waiting for a chance to criticize people.

As you've said - this forum is for sharing and everyone is entitled to share their views regardless whether it helps you or not.

Unregistered 26-07-2015 11:08 PM

3M - HR internship
://.jobstreet.com.sg/jobs/2015/7/default/20/4731911.htm

Unregistered 31-07-2015 08:57 PM

HR Generalist - Contractor/ Temp
s://.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/75131538

Unregistered 31-07-2015 10:00 PM

s://.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/60262087
Talent Coordinator

s://.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/60256248
Recruitment Coordinator

Unregistered 01-08-2015 02:29 PM

does anyone know how much a hrbp in sbs make? everything in can hit 300k or not?

Unregistered 01-08-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70883)
does anyone know how much a hrbp in sbs make? everything in can hit 300k or not?

lol!! good one.

Unregistered 02-08-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70883)

ROFL, you think a co. like SBS gonna pay some mid level HR manager 300k? Probably 60-80k tops.