Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

dips 20-06-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbee (Post 25914)
By data side do you mean the number crunching, data grabbing, modelling, preparation of excel spreadsheets, etc? I kinda fall under tier 3 unfortunately :(

Both data services & consulting side will deal with data. It's more about your product - Is it consulting for companies or selling survey data to companies?

Oh then you had better try to move up the tiers. Most of these boutique firms have pretty niche areas and my understanding is their methodology & data access tends to be not on par with best practices, so might be difficult to move up the value chain once you stay too long.

If it's convenient may I ask which firm is that?

cbee 20-06-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dips (Post 25922)
Both data services & consulting side will deal with data. It's more about your product - Is it consulting for companies or selling survey data to companies?

Oh then you had better try to move up the tiers. Most of these boutique firms have pretty niche areas and my understanding is their methodology & data access tends to be not on par with best practices, so might be difficult to move up the value chain once you stay too long.

If it's convenient may I ask which firm is that?

It's a firm which partners companies to design and implement compensation strategies. Of course it also offers the typical performance/talent management bits but I believe compensation is the core offering. This emphasis on compensation strategy is what I'm leveraging on hopefully to further my career in the area of C&B in the future. I'm afraid it's not too convenient to reveal at this point of time hope you'll understand.

There is a significant amount of people previously from Hay/Mercer and other higher tier consulting firms in my firm though so what might be some possible reasons for their shift? Especially since they are also pretty fresh with less than 5 years consulting experience.

dips 20-06-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbee (Post 25924)
It's a firm which partners companies to design and implement compensation strategies. Of course it also offers the typical performance/talent management bits but I believe compensation is the core offering. This emphasis on compensation strategy is what I'm leveraging on hopefully to further my career in the area of C&B in the future. I'm afraid it's not too convenient to reveal at this point of time hope you'll understand.

There is a significant amount of people previously from Hay/Mercer and other higher tier consulting firms in my firm though so what might be some possible reasons for their shift? Especially since they are also pretty fresh with less than 5 years consulting experience.

Sure, no probs it ur not comfortable revealing your current company.

I do not know your colleagues personally, so I can't really say why they would want to "downgrade". My experience so far is that some of these people join a big firm and after a few years realise they are not going to be made lead & choose to seek other openings in other consulting firms or try their luck in corporate.

It's hard to say how useful the experience you have is w/o knowing what you are actually doing now, so I will just talk generally. You try & fit it into your context and conclude accordingly.

I know of 3 local small C&B firms in Singapore (I'm sure there are more). One specializes in sales incentives, the other does GLC work and the last one does high tech R&D. Each of these firms have the same problem for someone junior who is hoping to further his career in other consultancies or move in-house.

Their scope is too narrow to properly leverage into a bigger sized C&B role. If you stay there 1 or 2 years to learn something is OK, but once you hang around too long or have ambitions to expand your role the problem happens.

Be it consultancy or in-house most companies will prefer someone who has a wider experience in terms of exposure to different projects, industries and geography. Competition is stiff and it will be a hard sell to future employers if your experience is not well-rounded enough. This is especially important if you intend to move into a corporate role in a MNC.

cbee 21-06-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dips (Post 25928)
Sure, no probs it ur not comfortable revealing your current company.

I do not know your colleagues personally, so I can't really say why they would want to "downgrade". My experience so far is that some of these people join a big firm and after a few years realise they are not going to be made lead & choose to seek other openings in other consulting firms or try their luck in corporate.

It's hard to say how useful the experience you have is w/o knowing what you are actually doing now, so I will just talk generally. You try & fit it into your context and conclude accordingly.

I know of 3 local small C&B firms in Singapore (I'm sure there are more). One specializes in sales incentives, the other does GLC work and the last one does high tech R&D. Each of these firms have the same problem for someone junior who is hoping to further his career in other consultancies or move in-house.

Their scope is too narrow to properly leverage into a bigger sized C&B role. If you stay there 1 or 2 years to learn something is OK, but once you hang around too long or have ambitions to expand your role the problem happens.

Be it consultancy or in-house most companies will prefer someone who has a wider experience in terms of exposure to different projects, industries and geography. Competition is stiff and it will be a hard sell to future employers if your experience is not well-rounded enough. This is especially important if you intend to move into a corporate role in a MNC.

I see where you're coming from and thanks for sharing.

I'm not too sure what I will actually be doing either because I haven't even started work. Just accepted the offer and will be commencing in 2 weeks time. I guess I will hang around for a year or two and try to learn as much as I can and expose myself to whatever C&B projects that I can get myself into. It's a consulting company at the end of the day, so no matter how small, I'm sure I will still get to work on different projects during my stint. I heard entry-level analysts get pushed hard though and hopefully my interest in C&B will be strong enough to sustain myself in this run.

coffee 21-06-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbee (Post 25929)
I see where you're coming from and thanks for sharing.

I'm not too sure what I will actually be doing either because I haven't even started work. Just accepted the offer and will be commencing in 2 weeks time. I guess I will hang around for a year or two and try to learn as much as I can and expose myself to whatever C&B projects that I can get myself into. It's a consulting company at the end of the day, so no matter how small, I'm sure I will still get to work on different projects during my stint. I heard entry-level analysts get pushed hard though and hopefully my interest in C&B will be strong enough to sustain myself in this run.

Hi, just wondering if consultancy firms can be volatile and hit hard during economic downturn, resulting in downsizing. Companies usually tighten their belts and less likely to engage consultancy services?

cbee 21-06-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffee (Post 25933)
Hi, just wondering if consultancy firms can be volatile and hit hard during economic downturn, resulting in downsizing. Companies usually tighten their belts and less likely to engage consultancy services?

Hi. I guess that is a logical concern but in a way if you see it, companies who are hit by economic downturn more often than not require expertise in terms of restructuring whether it be externally (changing the way they bring in revenue) and internally (organizational restructuring). Of course one way to cut cost would be not to outsource these processes but if times are really bad and if companies really need that additional help, consultancy firms could be one way to bring in quick expertise. I guess it's arguable in both ways honestly and really depends on the financial health and positioning of the company in the first place but I wouldn't be surprised if business were to drop in consultancy firms since it is an economic downturn anyway.

haiz2006 24-06-2012 01:26 PM

Anybody in HR can lend a helping hand?

2 year engineer here want to join HR in relations to C&B or recruitment...
Willing to start as fresh..
Any senior management or HR manager here or senior willing to groom me? Prepared resume for discussion..
Preferably engineering or MnC platform

Unregistered 24-06-2012 07:02 PM

hi i am a student currently in sim - rmit( management, major in hr )

may i know what is a good job to start from, am aiming at earning 5k by 5th year.

0 experience.

Unregistered 25-06-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26044)
hi i am a student currently in sim - rmit( management, major in hr )

may i know what is a good job to start from, am aiming at earning 5k by 5th year.

0 experience.

If your goal is 5k on 5th year then better join a mgt consultancy, headhunting or business partner job.

The normal ops generalist hr jobs you will be snr exec level ~3.5kin 5th year. My gf is 3rd year as hr generalist in Unilever just hit 3k this year.

Unregistered 25-06-2012 10:59 AM

HR consultancy? dont really know what is it. those job street , recruit express jobs?