Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

Unregistered 10-04-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23571)
You must be also one of those naive CMI people trying to trump the entire banking industry right? So free to come over and make friends with the CMI HR people? Or are you doing networking hoping to be headhunted into banking FO huh? Understandable and laughably naïve indeed...

Gosh! Grow up please....damn childish!

Unregistered 10-04-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23559)
Same problem again. Nobody wants to do the admin HR jobs, everyone wants to be in HR management consulting, C&B, Biz partnering, where the pay is sky high.

But then their academic & work achievement CMI, so keep asking online if anyone got advice that can "strategize" and defeat the cream of the crop talent out there. Pros say not possible, all dun want to listen and insist on "advice" that can instantly get them into the job where all the top people are hanging out.

Understandable but laughably naïve. Exactly the same problem with banking industry also.

I didn't "keep asking" or "strategize" to "defeat the cream of the crop talent" which is "Understandable but laughably naïve" wow look at your big words big guy. You don't know who I am so stop patronizing me.

Ok, so 1 person said it's not possible, then I definitely will take that into consideration, of course since it seems to be near impossible. I will look into other areas or industry I can do then. You don't have to be condescending when I'm merely asking for opinions.

It also seems people here in Sg think that once you've made a bad move in your career path or you took longer than others to realize what you wanna do,so you don't achieve well academically into the local uni, you're basically doomed. An elitist attitude.

Unregistered 10-04-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23577)
I didn't "keep asking" or "strategize" to "defeat the cream of the crop talent" which is "Understandable but laughably naïve" wow look at your big words big guy. You don't know who I am so stop patronizing me.

Ok, so 1 person said it's not possible, then I definitely will take that into consideration, of course since it seems to be near impossible. I will look into other areas or industry I can do then. You don't have to be condescending when I'm merely asking for opinions.

It also seems people here in Sg think that once you've made a bad move in your career path or you took longer than others to realize what you wanna do,so you don't achieve well academically into the local uni, you're basically doomed. An elitist attitude.

Take it in the right spirit. This is life and not just confined to people here in Sg. If you don't have a headstart, it just means you have to work a lot harder!!! One of the most effective way of motivating yourself is the strong desire to prove wrong to those who look down on you.

Unregistered 10-04-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23579)
Take it in the right spirit. This is life and not just confined to people here in Sg. If you don't have a headstart, it just means you have to work a lot harder!!! One of the most effective way of motivating yourself is the strong desire to prove wrong to those who look down on you.

Thank you!

Exactly, I'm taking it all in the right spirit, I can accept when someone says it's hard, or near impossible etc, because hey, it is! But being condescending is another thing.

Any other opinions from others?

QXP 10-04-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23580)
Thank you!

Exactly, I'm taking it all in the right spirit, I can accept when someone says it's hard, or near impossible etc, because hey, it is! But being condescending is another thing.

Any other opinions from others?

The guy on top was probably too direct & came across as a little abrasive, but as someone who has hung around here for some time, I can see where he's coming from.

This pattern has been recurring in most topics seeking career advice, be it banking, investments, ship brokerage, civil service & now HR. Newbies will come in & declare they want to join some highly paid position, but then proceed to describe a very normal education and work experience.

A few knowledgeable forumers will advise them not to waste time on such hopeless endeavors. Most newbies will refuse to accept that & start threads or join other dialogues basically asking the same question over & over in different wording. Then you also have a lot of people who know nothing on the subject but spout useless slogans of encouragement at the sides - nonsense like never say die, dare to dream, there is always a 1% chance, you just need perseverance so on so forth.

I don't know much about HR, but as someone experienced in the financial sector, I'm used to telling people online/offline what they can realistically aim for. Seldom are people satisfied and most either ignore me & seek out false assurances from the sloganeering crowd or lambast me for being negative and insulting.

Based on what I'm hearing on the pay of HR consultants, C&B or Business Partnering, they are indeed comparable to top paying roles in the financial sector. As such assuming what I'm hearing is accurate, these are unlikely to be jobs where an average graduate can get into.

Unregistered 10-04-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23544)
Most part-time degrees are not worth the money and effort, but among the 4 you listed, no. 3 sounds better than the rest.

Why not study full-time in one of the 3 local universities? If not, you should consider the "4th" U, which is SIM. Their UOL programme is quite ok, from what I hear.

How about SHRI Academy? Is it recognized?

Unregistered 10-04-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23593)

I went to 2 SHRI functions before and the only active members seem to be old admin aunties.

I doubt with this kind of alumni the degree can be worth much.

Unregistered 10-04-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomepy (Post 23551)
Seems that many people are confused and interpreting the different streams of HR in a wrong way. There is also a lot of unrealistic expectations from some of you.

To start off before we go into streams, HR exist as 3 "formats" in the business world.

1) Consulting
2) In-house
3) Process Outsourcing

Consulting - Further split into HR Management Consulting, HR Remuneration Consulting, Headhunting, Corporate Training.

I know a lot of you want to enter Management & Remuneration consulting because of the pay & glamour which is comparable to front office banking. Bad news for most of you - forget about it. Even a lot of FC Honors Finance majors from SMU/NUS can't get inside, most of you with other degrees in other areas, other universities have no chance. Be realistic and stop dreaming.

Headhunting is an avenue that may appeal to certain quarters with good social networking skills. Very sales oriented where pay & commissions depend solely on your ability to close, it is not an area I'm familiar with, but if you are good at B2B enterprise level sales (i.e. interacting with senior leaders), this is the place to go to.

Corporate training is the least glamorous among consulting. Unless you are a very well-known trainer or have the necessary academic credentials to charge premiums, pay is average at best and you need to handle the logistics, sales, administration aspects of the training itself.

To be continued on in-house and process outsourcing when I have time...

Thanks for sharing. I was one of the "lucky" few who made it to an international C&B consultancy firm in 2007 just before the crisis hit.

Only stayed there for 2 years. Meeting clients doing sales during office hours and going back office to work on projects past midnight wasn’t my cup of tea no matter how much bonus they give.

The good thing was my benefits specialization allowed me to jump into a ASEAN Rewards roles with a reputable MNC with a nice increment. It has boosted my career (currently on 6700 monthly) compared to peers who start from scratch in corp roles.

Unregistered 10-04-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23593)

SHRI is a gathering place for stat board & SME junior to mid level HR people. If you want to get into these companies can join them for network.

As for their degrees, it will be treated just like any other non NUS/SMU/NTU open degree.

flavorful 10-04-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23595)
Thanks for sharing. I was one of the "lucky" few who made it to an international C&B consultancy firm in 2007 just before the crisis hit.

Only stayed there for 2 years. Meeting clients doing sales during office hours and going back office to work on projects past midnight wasn’t my cup of tea no matter how much bonus they give.

The good thing was my benefits specialization allowed me to jump into a ASEAN Rewards roles with a reputable MNC with a nice increment. It has boosted my career (currently on 6700 monthly) compared to peers who start from scratch in corp roles.

I am now exploring joining a C&B consultancy base on advise from my HR colleague.

I graduated 5 years ago with 2nd upper honors from NUS major in economics. Now working as learning manager in a local listed company, pay @ $3600 with 2.5 mth bonus inclusive AWS.

Base on my pay & background, I don't think need to apply for entry consultant right? Should I apply as senior consultant or manager?