Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

mro 09-04-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troubled (Post 23505)
Thanks for the advice, I am incline to take up & tryout the HR role also.

Any HR pros can advise me what is the career and pay progression like for industrial relations? Is it better $ wise than the HR administration roles?

First off, industrial relations is considered a specialized niche in HR and definitely not under admin. The fact they offer you 3.5k with only 2 yrs work experience is proof, admin HR Executives will take at least 5 years to reach that kind of pay.

As a specialization you don’t need to worry about pay prospects, it will definitely be higher than normal admin or marcom. With 5 yrs exp should reach 6-7k on average.

Having said that, not everyone can do IR. As your stakeholders are blue collar workers, union laborers or junior white collar, you must be comfortable interacting at their level. This means dealing with a lot of minor issues like complaints on uniform, cafeteria menu, shift scheduling, personal family matters, discipline issues…

This is an area a lot of BPs find it beneath their stature to deal with, so you must be accustom to handling such things. Balancing between management & union interest is challenging & sometimes politically dangerous.

Unregistered 09-04-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23507)
You need to be specific, Compensation & benefits, Business partnering, training and Development are completely different jobs.

It’s like saying you want to be an engineer doesn’t matter if civil, electronics, bioscience or marine….

Different jobs have different career strategies.

Hi everyone, I have Diploma in IT from a local poly, working for almost 2 years as a pre-school teacher. I'm 23 this yr. So now, I'm deciding to take up a part-time degree, and was looking at HR. I am very good with people, etc. I'm looking at C&B, T&D or business partnering.

I'm tired of making very little money and am ready to work hard and start a new career path.

So I know many of you are experienced in this line, what necessary qualifications should I take up in order to kickstart my career? I don't want to spend 20-30k on a degree that'll be worth nothing to the industry.

I'm looking at
1) Bachelor of Science (Business Studies, Business Studies with HRM / Banking & Finance) - Part-Time (Loughborough University, UK from PSB academy

2)Bachelor of Commerce in Human Resource Management and Management (Double Major) - Murdoch Uni

3)Bachelor of Commerce in Human Resource Management and Marketing (Double Major) - Murdoch uni

4)Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Human Resource Management - University College Dublin

Or are there any better choices for a degree? Business?

And like one of the posters said...How do we start a career in this if even the junior execs jobs needs min 5yrs relevant experience?

Thank you for any help or input!

Unregistered 09-04-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23532)
Hi everyone, I have Diploma in IT from a local poly, working for almost 2 years as a pre-school teacher. I'm 23 this yr. So now, I'm deciding to take up a part-time degree, and was looking at HR. I am very good with people, etc. I'm looking at C&B, T&D or business partnering.

I'm tired of making very little money and am ready to work hard and start a new career path.

So I know many of you are experienced in this line, what necessary qualifications should I take up in order to kickstart my career? I don't want to spend 20-30k on a degree that'll be worth nothing to the industry.

I'm looking at
1) Bachelor of Science (Business Studies, Business Studies with HRM / Banking & Finance) - Part-Time (Loughborough University, UK from PSB academy

2)Bachelor of Commerce in Human Resource Management and Management (Double Major) - Murdoch Uni

3)Bachelor of Commerce in Human Resource Management and Marketing (Double Major) - Murdoch uni

4)Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Human Resource Management - University College Dublin

And like one of the posters said...How do we start a career in this if even the junior execs jobs needs min 5yrs relevant experience?

Hi! Like you. I'm working as a preschool teacher too and is also interested in this field. Would like to ask. A degree from SHRI Academy, is it recognized?
Please help! Thanks!

Leeethan 09-04-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23179)
I think talent development and HR management consulting (especially for remuneration and restructuring) are the best areas to be in. HR ops is the worst.

Maybe you can share more about what talent development and HR management consulting is about?

Talent development sounds to me like a segment of L&D?
HR Management consulting sounds like HR business partnering?

But yes i agree, do stay away from HR ops, cause in a big firm all you do is all the manual work... small firm (ie small HR team) worst, you do everything...

Unregistered 09-04-2012 10:35 PM

the socount

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23534)
Hi! Like you. I'm working as a preschool teacher too and is also interested in this field. Would like to ask. A degree from SHRI Academy, is it recognized?
Please help! Thanks!

Exactly, I don't know either...Maybe some of the people here can help us?

Unregistered 10-04-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23532)

I'm looking at

Most part-time degrees are not worth the money and effort, but among the 4 you listed, no. 3 sounds better than the rest.

Why not study full-time in one of the 3 local universities? If not, you should consider the "4th" U, which is SIM. Their UOL programme is quite ok, from what I hear.

pomepy 10-04-2012 10:44 AM

Seems that many people are confused and interpreting the different streams of HR in a wrong way. There is also a lot of unrealistic expectations from some of you.

To start off before we go into streams, HR exist as 3 "formats" in the business world.

1) Consulting
2) In-house
3) Process Outsourcing

Consulting - Further split into HR Management Consulting, HR Remuneration Consulting, Headhunting, Corporate Training.

I know a lot of you want to enter Management & Remuneration consulting because of the pay & glamour which is comparable to front office banking. Bad news for most of you - forget about it. Even a lot of FC Honors Finance majors from SMU/NUS can't get inside, most of you with other degrees in other areas, other universities have no chance. Be realistic and stop dreaming.

Headhunting is an avenue that may appeal to certain quarters with good social networking skills. Very sales oriented where pay & commissions depend solely on your ability to close, it is not an area I'm familiar with, but if you are good at B2B enterprise level sales (i.e. interacting with senior leaders), this is the place to go to.

Corporate training is the least glamorous among consulting. Unless you are a very well-known trainer or have the necessary academic credentials to charge premiums, pay is average at best and you need to handle the logistics, sales, administration aspects of the training itself.

To be continued on in-house and process outsourcing when I have time...

Unregistered 10-04-2012 11:30 AM

Same problem again. Nobody wants to do the admin HR jobs, everyone wants to be in HR management consulting, C&B, Biz partnering, where the pay is sky high.

But then their academic & work achievement CMI, so keep asking online if anyone got advice that can "strategize" and defeat the cream of the crop talent out there. Pros say not possible, all dun want to listen and insist on "advice" that can instantly get them into the job where all the top people are hanging out.

Understandable but laughably naïve. Exactly the same problem with banking industry also.

Unregistered 10-04-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23559)
Same problem again. Nobody wants to do the admin HR jobs, everyone wants to be in HR management consulting, C&B, Biz partnering, where the pay is sky high.

But then their academic & work achievement CMI, so keep asking online if anyone got advice that can "strategize" and defeat the cream of the crop talent out there. Pros say not possible, all dun want to listen and insist on "advice" that can instantly get them into the job where all the top people are hanging out.

Understandable but laughably naïve. Exactly the same problem with banking industry also.

it is good to dream. if they fail, at least they know they have tried.

Unregistered 10-04-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23559)

You must be also one of those naive CMI people trying to trump the entire banking industry right? So free to come over and make friends with the CMI HR people? Or are you doing networking hoping to be headhunted into banking FO huh? Understandable and laughably naïve indeed...