Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

Unregistered 14-03-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22258)
Bean, I am a male with pass merit. Salary offered is 3370. Any comments?

Civil service must be careful, unless you are in PMO, most of the policies will come down to PMO and you will just be executing.

Stay for 1-2 years get some exp is OK, but once >3years it becomes very hard to transit to pte sector w/o pay cut because you will be drawing AM pay by then, but HR experience still stuck at entry level.

Unregistered 14-03-2012 02:15 PM

Now working as Global Mobility Analyst in a regional bank, 5,500 monthly + 200 hp allowance.

Although the pay is good I regret & want to get out soon cause expats are very demanding and much harder to manage than normal employees. =(

3 years generalist & 1 year mobility exp, can someone advise if it’s possible to get an entry HRBP role?

Unregistered 14-03-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22272)
Now working as Global Mobility Analyst in a regional bank, 5,500 monthly + 200 hp allowance.

Although the pay is good I regret & want to get out soon cause expats are very demanding and much harder to manage than normal employees. =(

3 years generalist & 1 year mobility exp, can someone advise if it’s possible to get an entry HRBP role?

Pay wise is ok, but it depends on what is your actual work as generalist during the 3 years. You can try apply for BP positions supporting smaller businesses units that have <100 people.

Unregistered 14-03-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22269)
Civil service must be careful, unless you are in PMO, most of the policies will come down to PMO and you will just be executing.

Stay for 1-2 years get some exp is OK, but once >3years it becomes very hard to transit to pte sector w/o pay cut because you will be drawing AM pay by then, but HR experience still stuck at entry level.

My job will is more towards talent management and development so I was wondering if pvt sector would recognize experience in these areas considering I was from civil sector before?

Also, anyone been in HR in civil service more than 4-5 years? How has your experience been (ie: easy to climb up the grade MX12 to MX11)? Experience gained?

Unregistered 15-03-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22303)
My job will is more towards talent management and development so I was wondering if pvt sector would recognize experience in these areas considering I was from civil sector before?

Also, anyone been in HR in civil service more than 4-5 years? How has your experience been (ie: easy to climb up the grade MX12 to MX11)? Experience gained?

I was in civil service HR before and it really depends on what are your career aspirations long term wise. The way civil service HR works is very rigid in terms of governance and adherence to policy.

It does not matter if you are doing training, talent, C&B or generalist, the policies & directions will come down from PMO and your role is basically to execute & file necessary reports. Even my boss 3 levels up (a Senior Director Head of HR) had very limited flexibility to change what was given to her.

Pros:
1) Work life balance beside peak period
2) Higher starting salary
3) Not much problem solving needed, just execute and ensure compliance
4) Stable, for a non-scholar degree as long as you don’t screw up big time, should be able to retire as Dy Director at MX10 (current salary cap $10400)

Cons:
1) Hard to move to pte sector once you are inside for too long as pte sector HR requires more flexibility, innovation & problem solving experience
2) Salary progression will start to lag behind pte sector peers after 6+years
3) Ceiling is very low, average non-scholars stop at MX10, high performers stop at MX9. A lot of high performing pte HR can already reach MX9 equivalent by early to mid 30s
4) No possibility of regional / global experience, i.e. experience will be limited only to Singapore
5) Prepare to spend more time writing reports than doing HR

In short, a lot of it really depends on what you want out of your career. You want work life balance and relatively simple jobs with decent pay go for civil service. If you want to go for professional development and serious exposure, go private.

If you want to go back pte sector, make sure you do so within 3 years. Once you stay too long, a lateral transfer becomes very difficult without job demotion.

Unregistered 15-03-2012 10:36 AM

This actually sounds attractive.

I currently am in a high risk industry (investment bank). My wife is also in a high risk industry (broker). I have asked her to give up her career and look for a proper 8-5 job. Considering that she has a good class of honors, I have recommended her to choose a civil service career path. Good perks for childcare and maternity benefits. Stability and less stress. Although our household income will drop, I think this arrangement will be better in the long run.

Anyone who have gone through such a path, I'm interested to hear your comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22331)
I was in civil service HR before and it really depends on what are your career aspirations long term wise. The way civil service HR works is very rigid in terms of governance and adherence to policy.

It does not matter if you are doing training, talent, C&B or generalist, the policies & directions will come down from PMO and your role is basically to execute & file necessary reports. Even my boss 3 levels up (a Senior Director Head of HR) had very limited flexibility to change what was given to her.

Pros:
1) Work life balance beside peak period
2) Higher starting salary
3) Not much problem solving needed, just execute and ensure compliance
4) Stable, for a non-scholar degree as long as you don’t screw up big time, should be able to retire as Dy Director at MX10 (current salary cap $10400)

Cons:
1) Hard to move to pte sector once you are inside for too long as pte sector HR requires more flexibility, innovation & problem solving experience
2) Salary progression will start to lag behind pte sector peers after 6+years
3) Ceiling is very low, average non-scholars stop at MX10, high performers stop at MX9. A lot of high performing pte HR can already reach MX9 equivalent by early to mid 30s
4) No possibility of regional / global experience, i.e. experience will be limited only to Singapore
5) Prepare to spend more time writing reports than doing HR

In short, a lot of it really depends on what you want out of your career. You want work life balance and relatively simple jobs with decent pay go for civil service. If you want to go for professional development and serious exposure, go private.

If you want to go back pte sector, make sure you do so within 3 years. Once you stay too long, a lateral transfer becomes very difficult without job demotion.

arrynth 15-03-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22331)

agree from experience. Last year we hired a AD from MITA HR as a Assistant Manager looking after one of our branches, he resigned before confirmation & I was doing his exit interview.

The reason he give was there is too much salary negotiation when making offer and too many last minute changes from the training plan he was administering. I learn that when MITA making offer is a fix thing no need to negotiate and whatever is the training plan is set at the start of the year will be followed to the last dot.

He found the need to constantly manage expectation of candidates, line manager and dealing with all the daily questions from employees too troublesome. He told me in MITA is straight forward, top down instruction just follow, no room for people to keep negotiating and changing depending on business needs.

So it seems there is a lot of difference between civil service and commercial HR.

Bean 15-03-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrynth (Post 22346)
agree from experience. Last year we hired a AD from MITA HR as a Assistant Manager looking after one of our branches, he resigned before confirmation & I was doing his exit interview.

The reason he give was there is too much salary negotiation when making offer and too many last minute changes from the training plan he was administering. I learn that when MITA making offer is a fix thing no need to negotiate and whatever is the training plan is set at the start of the year will be followed to the last dot.

He found the need to constantly manage expectation of candidates, line manager and dealing with all the daily questions from employees too troublesome. He told me in MITA is straight forward, top down instruction just follow, no room for people to keep negotiating and changing depending on business needs.

So it seems there is a lot of difference between civil service and commercial HR.

that's why I love to join civil service job, just follow the standard SOP...and smooth sailing all the way!!! No need change this change that....

Calm/slow/smooth river flow to describe civil service.
Private sector would be like the stormy pacific ocean.

arrynth 15-03-2012 04:36 PM

Depend on individual, work definitely slacker and more brain dead. But personally I have no intention of limiting my career to just MX9 or 10 thats why I left shortly.

So far it has worked out better than expected for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 22348)
that's why I love to join civil service job, just follow the standard SOP...and smooth sailing all the way!!! No need change this change that....

Calm/slow/smooth river flow to describe civil service.
Private sector would be like the stormy pacific ocean.

Unregistered 15-03-2012 04:59 PM

1. Organizational Training Associate Director
2. 5 years corporate training consultancy & 5 years in house training development
3. 16.7k monthly basic
4. European medical devices company

Currently planning to set up my own L&D consultancy together with a few of my peers in the near future.