Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 10-07-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177509)
I went for 2 interviews on Friday. One lasted 20 min, the other just 10 min. But I didn't have a good feeling. Now just waiting for the "death" sentence for them to officially say no to me.

For a teaching position or KP?

Unregistered 10-07-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177511)
For a teaching position or KP?

Teaching position. How about yourself? Are you looking at teaching or KP?

Unregistered 10-07-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177512)
Teaching position. How about yourself? Are you looking at teaching or KP?

Teaching.

One of my interviews also lasted ard 20 mins. I was offered the position though. Dont give up :)

Unregistered 11-07-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177520)
Teaching.

One of my interviews also lasted ard 20 mins. I was offered the position though. Dont give up :)

How long did it take for them to tell you the results?

Unregistered 11-07-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177504)
Thanks for the feedback - I am an NSman. What is the GEO4 range may I ask?

The GEO4 range is 4.5-7.2k.

In his fifth year of service a freshly promoted GEO4 (NSman) might be drawing approx 5.5-5.8k.

Unregistered 11-07-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177509)
I went for 2 interviews on Friday. One lasted 20 min, the other just 10 min. But I didn't have a good feeling. Now just waiting for the "death" sentence for them to officially say no to me.

Expectations are very high nowadays. MOE can afford to pick and choose only the best. I had a BT who was good and hardworking. It took her a few tries to get in. Heard they went through a few rounds of interview. There's even a trial lesson ob for her. Besides a good degree, you have to be good at talking, speak gd English and show your passion. Know what is happening in education.

Unregistered 11-07-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177537)
How long did it take for them to tell you the results?

I had my interviews on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday last week. The one on Tues got back to me on Thursday. Those on Wednesday and Thursday got back to me on the day itself.

Unregistered 12-07-2021 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177488)
Hi, I graduated from NIE around 5 years back and currently with my secondary school for the past 5 years, drawing a base salary of $5k. Is this commensurate with the market average? If not, what is it roughly? Wondering if there are room for negotiations, thanks!

Like what previous response mentioned, it depends on your GEO.
On top of that, a first class honours would give you a slight headstart compared to a 2nd lower for example.

Unregistered 12-07-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177576)
I had my interviews on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday last week. The one on Tues got back to me on Thursday. Those on Wednesday and Thursday got back to me on the day itself.

Just curious, which one accepted you? BTW, congratulations!

Unregistered 12-07-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177573)
Expectations are very high nowadays. MOE can afford to pick and choose only the best. I had a BT who was good and hardworking. It took her a few tries to get in. Heard they went through a few rounds of interview. There's even a trial lesson ob for her. Besides a good degree, you have to be good at talking, speak gd English and show your passion. Know what is happening in education.

Suddenly, a good teacher doesn't only means able to teach the students well. A good teacher must also be able to market yourself well. HAHA. Good luck to whoever who is also trying out the OPE this year.

Unregistered 12-07-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177597)
Like what previous response mentioned, it depends on your GEO.
On top of that, a first class honours would give you a slight headstart compared to a 2nd lower for example.

What would be the expected GEO after 5 years? Based on the previous response, GEO4? I am a FCH - what base pay would I be expecting assuming all else average (performance, etc)

Unregistered 12-07-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177599)
Just curious, which one accepted you? BTW, congratulations!

I got an offer from all three. But the one on Tues was my top choice so I went with that :) Thank you - looking forward to working in a new place next year. Sometimes it's good to have a change of environment after a while.

Unregistered 12-07-2021 01:00 PM

This is my first applying for OPE, successful applicants, what should I type in the “additional information” box? Or should I just leave it empty? Thanks!

Unregistered 12-07-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177625)
This is my first applying for OPE, successful applicants, what should I type in the “additional information” box? Or should I just leave it empty? Thanks!

Don't leave it empty. Look at the advertisement and see what the school is looking for. Then give a summary of yourself and try to word in some of the things which the sch requires. Also attach a resume to list out all your projects which are not listed in hrms. I did that and got called for interviews the same day or next day after applying. All the best!

Unregistered 12-07-2021 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177604)
What would be the expected GEO after 5 years? Based on the previous response, GEO4? I am a FCH - what base pay would I be expecting assuming all else average (performance, etc)

There are multiple factors that would be taken into consideration when it comes to pay.
You've mentioned FCH and your GEO level. But the most important thing, among other things like NS record and performance grade (these things like to slight variations to pay) is your CEP. I know of people who took close to 10 years to go from GEO 3 to 4. I also know of people who took two years to move from GEO 2 to 4.

A base pay of between 5 to 5.5 for a GEO 4 at the 5th year sounds about right.

Unregistered 12-07-2021 05:48 PM

hi if i applied for a kp position during this ope, when does the cluster sup interview take place?

Unregistered 13-07-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177604)

Typically for those who express interest in some career advancement, and are able to handle the full workload of a normal teacher well, with one or two 'side projects', they will be at GEO4 after 5 years. The exact salary point can vary depending on starting point and quantum of merit increments over the years, but after 5 years of service it could be somewhere between 5.2 to 5.8k.

Have also seen NSmen hitting GEO5 after completing five full years. More common in the past among scholars and go-getters, but is getting extremely rare these days regardless of CEP and performance.

Unregistered 13-07-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177605)
I got an offer from all three. But the one on Tues was my top choice so I went with that :) Thank you - looking forward to working in a new place next year. Sometimes it's good to have a change of environment after a while.

Cool. I got accepted into one of the schools too. Am really thankful cos tbh I didn't think I did very well for the interview. Could be better. And yes, I really wanted a change of environment, to have a fresh look on perspectives.

For a better year. All the best.

Unregistered 14-07-2021 09:06 PM

For KP position , is there an age factor to clear ? Like need to be of certain age then can be promoted to SH or LH?

Unregistered 15-07-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177824)
For KP position , is there an age factor to clear ? Like need to be of certain age then can be promoted to SH or LH?

No. You only need to be GEO4.

Unregistered 15-07-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177841)
No. You only need to be GEO4.

Hmm this isn’t really accurate. You can be appointed SH even as a GEO3. Just like you could be appointed HOD at GEO4 as well.

Unregistered 15-07-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177858)
Hmm this isn’t really accurate. You can be appointed SH even as a GEO3. Just like you could be appointed HOD at GEO4 as well.

Not true anymore now. GEO4 minimally to be appointed SH officially. Internal appts diff story

Unregistered 15-07-2021 02:48 PM

Heard now age is a factor of consideration , that’s what my sch P told us . Not sure if it’s true .

Unregistered 15-07-2021 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177870)
Heard now age is a factor of consideration , that’s what my sch P told us . Not sure if it’s true .

Could be internal consideration by school given staff profile. Not aware of any MOE HR-wide policy of this nature.

Unregistered 15-07-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177859)
Not true anymore now. GEO4 minimally to be appointed SH officially. Internal appts diff story

Oh, am not aware if there was a change in ministry wide policy on this (or if it even exists in the first place). I pointed it out as I was appointed SH officially when I was still GEO3. Things may have changed since.

Unregistered 15-07-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

How old is the minimum age?

Unregistered 15-07-2021 08:58 PM

Can confirm that GEO4 is currently a requirement. Think the circular came up around 2018 or so (can't remember exactly when).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177878)
Oh, am not aware if there was a change in ministry wide policy on this (or if it even exists in the first place). I pointed it out as I was appointed SH officially when I was still GEO3. Things may have changed since.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 01:32 AM

Now MOE is too too heavy. So they are setting more restrictions and slowing down people’s promotions. And they keep publicising cross deployment. HR says it is for officers’ developmental purposes. Why don’t they just tell us the hard truth that secondary schools are having excess supply of teachers? I am sure we teachers can take the truth.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177916)
Now MOE is too too heavy. So they are setting more restrictions and slowing down people’s promotions. And they keep publicising cross deployment. HR says it is for officers’ developmental purposes. Why don’t they just tell us the hard truth that secondary schools are having excess supply of teachers? I am sure we teachers can take the truth.

Having excess supply of teachers? But MOE was still recruiting fresh grads in June for teaching positions.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Was told the same thing for my P. The age consideration applies to normal EOs. Wont apply to scholars.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177879)
How old is the minimum age?

There's no official age guideline or age requirement. However, the 'gatekeeping' is done these days by slowing down promotions, especially geo3 to geo4 which they really seem to have put the brakes on, hard. It used to be rare to see people who were genuinely interested in taking up greater responsibilities stuck at geo1A1 (geo3) for more than 3 or 4 years, but nowadays it's common to see early/mid-30s geo3s still waiting and waiting.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177920)
Having excess supply of teachers? But MOE was still recruiting fresh grads in June for teaching positions.

Don’t they recruit every year? It’s part of the hiring cycle. I think the number of successful applicants has gone down in recent years.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176703)
Also, need to note that to go to HQ, you will need P7 CEP. Of course you wont know what your CEP is. But you can try.

Hello! I got offered a position at HQ. But was wondering if it really means that my CEP is beyond GEO 5? Or is this a fallacy? Thank you

Unregistered 17-07-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177936)
Hello! I got offered a position at HQ. But was wondering if it really means that my CEP is beyond GEO 5? Or is this a fallacy? Thank you

Truth be told, being accepted for a position in HQ does not equate to a CEP higher than GEO5. There are HQ officers who end up not being invited for the enhanced posting exercise.

Unregistered 17-07-2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177975)
Truth be told, being accepted for a position in HQ does not equate to a CEP higher than GEO5. There are HQ officers who end up not being invited for the enhanced posting exercise.

Could be because they are GEO3 since you need to be GEO4 to take up a KP position. Or do u know GEO4s who do not get invited for enhanced posting?

Unregistered 17-07-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177977)
Could be because they are GEO3 since you need to be GEO4 to take up a KP position. Or do u know GEO4s who do not get invited for enhanced posting?

Why would geo4 not be invited?

But invited or not, whether one can actually secure a posting during Enhanced is another question. Sometimes they fail to do so and will have to try again at Open/Closed posting exercises.

Unregistered 18-07-2021 12:56 AM

Quote:

What do you think? :)

Unregistered 18-07-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177992)
What do you think? :)

Hmm why a question to reply to a question? I already stated what I thought. Are there any GEO4 officers that don’t get invited to enhanced posting? I’m not aware.

Unregistered 18-07-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177982)
Why would geo4 not be invited?

But invited or not, whether one can actually secure a posting during Enhanced is another question. Sometimes they fail to do so and will have to try again at Open/Closed posting exercises.

Yea. And honestly, sometimes there are more options at OPE

Unregistered 18-07-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Sorry! am the OP to the HQ posting question but what is enhanced posting? 😅