Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 19-07-2022 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225873)
School's Div vacancies for Special Assistant cannot be found in open posting. Your colleague has been recommended by your P and endorsed by Supt for the posting. I was an SA a few years ago. There were 5 of us in the tea session and all of us got in. I supposed ZDs usually trust the endorsement of the P and Supt.

As long as you have a stint from HQ, I would say that it would help you in one's career because the 2 to 3 years spent in HQ will widen your perspectives. Some div like SD are more hard to get in due to the fact that the vacancies are not even found in APEX.

That’s what they want you to believe.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225873)
As long as you have a stint from HQ, I would say that it would help you in one's career because the 2 to 3 years spent in HQ will widen your perspectives.

Hmm.. going to HQ is definitely better than staying in one school forever, but whether the HQ posting actually widens your perspectives in a beneficial manner and prepares you for management and leadership in a school setting/on the ground is another.

Let's just say that the perception of certain branches as "low class postings" and certain divs/branches as "high flyer"/"chiongster postings" is not based on complete fluff. Most people may not care, but who exactly you rub shoulders with and the exact level of policymaking that you deal with (if at all - or if you are just doing grunt work without being able to influence policy at all) may be of interest to the more hardcore go-getters.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225919)
Hmm.. going to HQ is definitely better than staying in one school forever, but whether the HQ posting actually widens your perspectives in a beneficial manner and prepares you for management and leadership in a school setting/on the ground is another.

Let's just say that the perception of certain branches as "low class postings" and certain divs/branches as "high flyer"/"chiongster postings" is not based on complete fluff. Most people may not care, but who exactly you rub shoulders with and the exact level of policymaking that you deal with (if at all - or if you are just doing grunt work without being able to influence policy at all) may be of interest to the more hardcore go-getters.

What would be some examples of low class postings and high flyer postings?

Unregistered 20-07-2022 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225933)
What would be some examples of low class postings and high flyer postings?

High class posting: CPO, CEG, GEB

Unregistered 20-07-2022 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225961)

You don't know what you're talking about. Other than being a special assistant in schs div, a. Posting in any policy wing in hq is considered having a real leg up.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225961)

GEB considered high class??? Lol worked with a few of them, and they seemed pretty cmi to me

Unregistered 21-07-2022 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224491)
I reached Geo 5 at 32.
Not a scholar, but consistently A/B grade. Appointed SH and subsequently HOD.
I would think that good perf plus faster promotion then played a part in that.

This kind of fast track very kelong...Many ppl i know at 32 might still at GEO 3 , very few at GEO 4

Unregistered 21-07-2022 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225882)
What’s the job scope of a special assistant?

providing special services to stressed teachers

Unregistered 21-07-2022 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225973)
You don't know what you're talking about. Other than being a special assistant in schs div, a. Posting in any policy wing in hq is considered having a real leg up.

Like that almost any hq posting is a leg up. Then what kind of hq posting is not very useful then

Unregistered 21-07-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225994)
GEB considered high class??? Lol worked with a few of them, and they seemed pretty cmi to me

Part of their application process is to write an essay if I remember. There was a sharing earlier by hq officers to Teachers about jobs in hq. If not high class they won't ask for such high barriers right

Unregistered 21-07-2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226008)
Part of their application process is to write an essay if I remember. There was a sharing earlier by hq officers to Teachers about jobs in hq. If not high class they won't ask for such high barriers right

Write one essay = high barrier 🤣

Unregistered 21-07-2022 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226007)
Like that almost any hq posting is a leg up. Then what kind of hq posting is not very useful then

Policy wing positions are very different from other hq positions tho because of their proximity to public policy making. They probably provide a more systems view of moe and beyond.

Unregistered 22-07-2022 05:06 AM

MOE PSC scholars are only posted to Planning, Higher Ed and Comms and Engagement. Draw your own conclusions.

Unregistered 22-07-2022 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226003)
providing special services to stressed teachers

Help teacher eat bird bird special services kind?

Unregistered 22-07-2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226000)
This kind of fast track very kelong...Many ppl i know at 32 might still at GEO 3 , very few at GEO 4

Then can I say that the many that you know are those who didn’t make the cut? Don’t generalise things and put down the efforts of individuals. I am the one who shared my progression, and I can safely say that I took on more responsibilities than most of the officers in my sub grade.

Unregistered 23-07-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226000)

Don't worry too much, they will probably be promoted by next year? There's usually an age range for the subgrade too right?

Unregistered 23-07-2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226084)
MOE PSC scholars are only posted to Planning, Higher Ed and Comms and Engagement. Draw your own conclusions.

This is reasonable and expected. PSC scholars are supposed to be moulded into leading policy thinkers and developers. You can't hone high-level policy thinking working in most Professional Wing positions, because a lot of them "take orders from policy branches" and simply realise these policy shifts by integrating them into current practices and SOPs. They don't have access to any policy levers themselves.

Unregistered 23-07-2022 12:46 PM

Untrained teaching stint/contract

Hi, I am currently in the untrained teaching stint for PGDE. What advice do y’all have with regards to increasing my chances of getting the school’s approval to send me to NIE?

Unregistered 23-07-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226204)
Hi, I am currently in the untrained teaching stint for PGDE. What advice do y’all have with regards to increasing my chances of getting the school’s approval to send me to NIE?

Try not to reject responsibilities given to you. Instead of saying "by right im not trained", see these as opportunities to learn because it is far better to learn and explore during contract than when you start practicum. This means opening yourself to teaching across different streams and levels as well as in other non TNL areas.

Always show a positive attitude and be a good team player for your department and committee. When you can help, help. But also learn to say no when you are fully committed else where.

Importantly, use the classroom to experiment with TNL and build rapport with the students. In assessing you, CTs and your mentors will likely see your ability to manage a class, whether you have demonstrated any initaitive to engage the class beyond just pen and paper, and importantly, whether you have a good working attitude.

Don't be afraid to ask for help and talk to colleague within and beyond your department to get different perspectives! Especially if you share common students.

And don't be afraid of failure! Contract teaching is a good time to learn and see if the teaching service is really for you. All the best!

Unregistered 23-07-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

When does your letter of appointment state that you would be sent for training?

I feel that it’s best to speak to the principal about it and give him or her very good and compelling reasons why you want to go for training asap. Your supervisor is likely to recommend that you stay in school for at least 1 year in the name of giving you exposure and school experience.

Unregistered 23-07-2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226212)

I feel that it’s best to speak to the principal about it and give him or her very good and compelling reasons why you want to go for training asap. Your supervisor is likely to recommend that you stay in school for at least 1 year in the name of giving you exposure and school experience.

Take the 1 year and learn and see if this is really what you want to do.

Unregistered 23-07-2022 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226212)

My letter of appointment states that I will be doing contract teaching for minimally 6 months iirc so the earliest will be late Dec/early Jan. I have just finished my first week in school.

Unregistered 23-07-2022 05:26 PM

Chances of not getting through contract is very low. During this time, you should be able to sufficiently manage a class( Eg students are not fighting in your class, teaching and learning is going on). Showing responsibility as a teacher( Eg marking students work on time, content ams pedagogy can be improved in time to come) . Like earlier posts mentioned, Taking initiative to clarify and ask for help. One basic thing is also role modelling as a teacher, in appropriate attire and choice of language to students.

To be sent to NIE by 6 months, that will mean doing a cut above all the above mentioned. Meaning, the school is very sure that you will be able to do well as a teacher.

Unregistered 24-07-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

It's very hard to fail the contract teaching stint unless you do something wrong in either exams, money or professionalism issues.

Unregistered 24-07-2022 07:46 PM

Where do I check salary and performance grading? Also, when should I make the PSD card?

Angsty cat woman 25-07-2022 10:23 PM

Untrained teaching stint

Quote:

It really depends on the school that you are posted to and the HOD whom you are working for. Generally, you need to show good attitude and willingness to work and contribute. By the end of the stint, you need to exhibit some skills in teaching and learning, depending on the school's direction. All these points have been mentioned in previous posts.

What I would like to add on is to open your eyes to the things that your school is doing. Does it go against logic? Does this job make you stressed out for no good reason? Does your HOD appreciate your willingness to work? Does your CT guide you properly?

If you do not like the experience in your school, it is very important to ask yourself what is it that you dislike. The management? Or what the job entails? It will be good to make friends in your ITP class, so that you can make comparisons. Because what your experience may not be representative of what other schools are doing.

Instead of thinking of how to increase your chances of getting into NIE, I feel that you should take this opportunity to think whether this is for you. Once you sign the bond, it will be a painful 3++ years for you.

(From someone who finished her untrained stint in 6 months. Contract school was great but currently suffering in her first posting - a different school. )

Unregistered 27-07-2022 09:46 PM

Anyone knows what will happen if a teacher gets D grade? Will it affect the promotion? Heard that promotion is banned for 3 years at least and there will not be any pay increment for 3 years. Is it better to quit? Is it possible to apply closed posting with a D grade? I did not try open posting because I am afraid they will ask about my D grade. Will the new school I am applying knows that I got D grade in the previous school?

From a trouble teacher GEO3 who has just finished 3 years as BT and is suffering in a school now. Thinking of quitting everyday.

Unregistered 27-07-2022 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226490)
Anyone knows what will happen if a teacher gets D grade? Will it affect the promotion? Heard that promotion is banned for 3 years at least and there will not be any pay increment for 3 years. Is it better to quit? Is it possible to apply closed posting with a D grade? I did not try open posting because I am afraid they will ask about my D grade. Will the new school I am applying knows that I got D grade in the previous school?

From a trouble teacher GEO3 who has just finished 3 years as BT and is suffering in a school now. Thinking of quitting everyday.

Yes the school which you applied to will know because they have access to your CV in the HR portal. I have heard of cases where things gotten into a bad state and the P auto transfer the teacher to another school (request of the affected teacher) without the teacher applying anything.

Unregistered 27-07-2022 10:48 PM

today my teacher help me eat bird bird. will tell my principal tml to give her a pay rise and big bonus!

Unregistered 27-07-2022 11:06 PM

Quote:

Actually, what did you do to get D? It’s actually very difficult for GEO3 to get D because the expectations aren’t exactly high.

Unregistered 28-07-2022 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226503)
Actually, what did you do to get D? It’s actually very difficult for GEO3 to get D because the expectations aren’t exactly high.

Not the original poster but if no severe mistakes in the areas of professional conduct, finance or assessment were made, then the reason can only be office politics.

Unregistered 28-07-2022 09:01 AM

Quote:

Don't quit. Just wait it out. I was in a similar situation. Just put in the effort, and time will help you to prove them wrong. :)

Unregistered 28-07-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

You will not be considered for promotion for 3 years, however, your increment and PB is only frozen for one year. If you get a better perf grade for subsequent years you will still get increments and PB.

Depends on why you got the D grade. If it's because of a major mistake you made, then your options can be challenging to navigate. If it's because of factors not within your control, there are avenues for you to seek redress (and escape).

Unregistered 28-07-2022 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226532)
You will not be considered for promotion for 3 years, however, your increment and PB is only frozen for one year. If you get a better perf grade for subsequent years you will still get increments and PB.

Depends on why you got the D grade. If it's because of a major mistake you made, then your options can be challenging to navigate. If it's because of factors not within your control, there are avenues for you to seek redress (and escape).

Im not the OP but im curious what avenues of redress / escape are there?

Unregistered 28-07-2022 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226539)

Leave the service

Unregistered 28-07-2022 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226539)

D is usually quite serious (after all, C- does exist). In my experience, ROs are asked to maintain clear documentation/records to the grade. The rationale for poor performance grade should also be communicated to the jobholder.

I imagine on the flipside, if the officer feels that the grade is unjustified - it can be brought up to school leader, superintendent, or maybe via STU? It's probably advisable for the officer to be very confident that there is a only a weak case for his D grade, though… should clarify with RO first, if the reason is unclear.

Unregistered 28-07-2022 08:52 PM

If I quit teaching and join private sector, what will I retain if I one day decide to return to teaching and MOE agrees to hire me? Current salary? Years of service? Connect Plan? CEP?

Unregistered 28-07-2022 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226554)
D is usually quite serious (after all, C- does exist). In my experience, ROs are asked to maintain clear documentation/records to the grade. The rationale for poor performance grade should also be communicated to the jobholder.

I imagine on the flipside, if the officer feels that the grade is unjustified - it can be brought up to school leader, superintendent, or maybe via STU? It's probably advisable for the officer to be very confident that there is a only a weak case for his D grade, though… should clarify with RO first, if the reason is unclear.

Yes, always clarify with RO. If you at Mid Year Review, you are not warned of a D grade, then you should not expect a D grade unless you commit something major (conduct, assessment and finance). Also at mid year, if you are being told that you are at risk of getting D, then ASK for guidance. Ask RO explicitly what must you do to avoid getting a D. If after RO tells you and you have fulfilled what you are told, you can always seek redress from Supt or go direct to HR. In my experience, not too helpful to ask P. Cos P is the one who agreed to give you a D.

Unregistered 28-07-2022 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226584)
If I quit teaching and join private sector, what will I retain if I one day decide to return to teaching and MOE agrees to hire me? Current salary? Years of service? Connect Plan? CEP?

Better to quit while you are still a BT, join private sector for much higher pay, or other public sector jobs for better work life balance. Many jobs out there are still wfh.

Unregistered 28-07-2022 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226584)

No. You typically start lower than when you have started. Normal teachers usually start all over again at GEO3. Connect plan restart from 0.