Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 07-07-2022 08:46 AM

EMS scholars and PSC scholars are emplaced immediately after NIE. Commitment varies depending on SL - may have specific assignments by SL and expectations to initiate level-wide or school-wide activities.

“High CEP” but not sure what is meant by high. Most generally go on to be KPs or SLs though I think this depends on your performance and not just based on the fact that your are on EMS. Case in point: there are people who graduate from FLP as SH or HOD.

Unregistered 07-07-2022 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224716)
Hi all,
I’m interested to know more about the FLP. Can anyone who’s in FLP share how you were invited to join FLP? (Possibly also what was your age, substantive grade and what commitments you were undertaking around the time you were emplaced to FLP)? My HOD briefly mentioned about FLP as he was a PSC scholar then, but not too sure about the inner workings about it.

How can I go about to increase my chances?

Previous comments already gave the details, but I'll just say that there is very little you can do to increase your chances. Your career trajectory is mostly already determined by the time you are out of BTship. Not that it can't change, but there are some things that are already 'hard coded', for example non-scholar vs normal scholar vs prestige scholar, educational qualifications, your first few years' performance grade and initial CEP reviews, etc.

It depends on whether your principal is receptive to such conversations but you can mention your aspirations to them, so that they can decide whether they want to help to increase your chances (by raising your CEP fast and furious, basically), and also help to beef up your CV with developmental opportunities within the school.

Unregistered 08-07-2022 01:01 AM

currently having an affair with a student mother.

Hope when the jc student turns 18 next month, can piak her with the mother together.

life as a teacher is so wonderful!

Unregistered 08-07-2022 08:51 PM

is the upcoming engagement survey completely anonymous like the climate survey in the past? or will your identity be traceable?

Unregistered 08-07-2022 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224831)
is the upcoming engagement survey completely anonymous like the climate survey in the past? or will your identity be traceable?

It is 100% traceable, but whether the tracing is actually performed or not is anyone's guess.

They don't claim that the survey is entirely anonymous. They only promise that the data provided to SLs is aggregated and anonymised. The real risks.. are up to your own interpretation of the above.

Unregistered 08-07-2022 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224785)
currently having an affair with a student mother.

Hope when the jc student turns 18 next month, can piak her with the mother together.

life as a teacher is so wonderful!

had similar experiences as you.

Unregistered 09-07-2022 10:13 AM

Resigning while on No Pay Leave

Hi all,

Has anyone resign while on No Pay leave? Is it possible? How is the process like?

Unregistered 09-07-2022 04:21 PM

Open Postings - Secondments

Hi everyone,

I'm currently considering applying for a secondment. Does anyone have knowledge to share on the following:

1) Does going on secondment (to non-education related agencies) affect your career progression within MOE negatively?
2) Is there a limit on the number of secondments you can go on during the course of your career?

Thank you!

Unregistered 09-07-2022 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224880)
Hi everyone,

I'm currently considering applying for a secondment. Does anyone have knowledge to share on the following:

1) Does going on secondment (to non-education related agencies) affect your career progression within MOE negatively?
2) Is there a limit on the number of secondments you can go on during the course of your career?

Thank you!

2) you can only go for a maximum of 6 years secondment in your entire career in MOE

Unregistered 10-07-2022 02:44 AM

If you apply for a secondment to another ministry or stat board, how difficult is it to stay there permanently? Could you possibly switch over to MX scheme?

Unregistered 10-07-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224669)
May I ask when you achieved this? And if you are male or female? If male, that's probably the fastest possible time you could attain geo5. Assuming you start working at age 27,1 year of geo2, 2 years each of geo3 and 4. Before getting geo5. Must have bene possible back when there was no cap of GEO4 to be appointed KP.

Pgde was only a year. 1 year to geo 3 (promotion was much faster then).

I can’t pinpoint what I exactly did to achieve that, but I did take on quite a number of roles which are viable to the KPs and SLs then before becoming a KP myself.
staff well-being chair, lead for teachers projects, level rep, subject rep etc. Also initiated a number of student projects and mentored kids for competitions.

Upon becoming a KP, it is not hard to achieve a B grading. For A, once again, a lot more has to be done.

Unregistered 10-07-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224858)
Hi all,

Has anyone resign while on No Pay leave? Is it possible? How is the process like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224923)
If you apply for a secondment to another ministry or stat board, how difficult is it to stay there permanently? Could you possibly switch over to MX scheme?

Smart people hopping out before it's too late...

Will the list of smart people continue to grow? Hmmm...

Unregistered 10-07-2022 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224933)
Smart people hopping out before it's too late...

Will the list of smart people continue to grow? Hmmm...

Already left service... was a scholar but felt like a farmer. Over inflated portfolio, but slow promotion. Always say CEP high, got potential, will go far, but only crickets from HR. Feels like MOE is starting to behave more and more like a corporation where the bean counters constantly remind top management that costs need to be cut.

Now: working almost the same hours as my HOD days, but with slightly fewer people reporting to me yet drawing 2.2x of my last drawn GEO5 pay. And they say teachers got no transferrable prospects.. that's only true if you wait too long before leaving. MOE wants to cut down the teaching force, it's a win-win. For people who really have potential and ability, leave ASAP.

Unregistered 10-07-2022 01:52 PM

Ope

I've applied through OPE and accepted an offer from the other school. My P has also endorsed the application and set the release date to be Jan 2023. I was wondering what are some possible reasons for MOE HR to reject my application..

Unregistered 10-07-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224963)
And they say teachers got no transferrable prospects.. that's only true if you wait too long before leaving.

It's also true if your entire professional skillset is limited to teaching a subject at the secondary school level, and can do nothing else. For you, it helped to have some management experience from being a HOD. What is your current field btw?

That being said, you can still make a very decent living tutoring secondary school kids, so all is not lost.

Unregistered 10-07-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224967)
I've applied through OPE and accepted an offer from the other school. My P has also endorsed the application and set the release date to be Jan 2023. I was wondering what are some possible reasons for MOE HR to reject my application..

It's almost guaranteed to go through. One very unlikely reason could be if last minute structural changes happen within the other school such that your receiving department will exceed staffing quota if they take another teacher. But don't lose sleep over this, it's not gonna happen.

Unregistered 10-07-2022 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224963)
Already left service... was a scholar but felt like a farmer. Over inflated portfolio, but slow promotion. Always say CEP high, got potential, will go far, but only crickets from HR. Feels like MOE is starting to behave more and more like a corporation where the bean counters constantly remind top management that costs need to be cut.

Now: working almost the same hours as my HOD days, but with slightly fewer people reporting to me yet drawing 2.2x of my last drawn GEO5 pay. And they say teachers got no transferrable prospects.. that's only true if you wait too long before leaving. MOE wants to cut down the teaching force, it's a win-win. For people who really have potential and ability, leave ASAP.

congrats!! did u hop to another ministry/stat board? or did u go over to the private sector?:)

Unregistered 10-07-2022 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224993)
congrats!! did u hop to another ministry/stat board? or did u go over to the private sector?:)

Private.

There were some decent lateral transfer options in the Civil Service, but being stuck two grades below my establishment grade (was GEO5 as a confirmed HOD then), it would mean that I map over to a similar subgrade in a different scheme. If I took on similar or higher responsibilities compared to a school HOD, then I would continue being underpaid in my new ministry for a few more years.

Jumping ship means I immediately get the pay that my responsibility level deserves.

Unregistered 11-07-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224996)
Private.

There were some decent lateral transfer options in the Civil Service, but being stuck two grades below my establishment grade (was GEO5 as a confirmed HOD then), it would mean that I map over to a similar subgrade in a different scheme. If I took on similar or higher responsibilities compared to a school HOD, then I would continue being underpaid in my new ministry for a few more years.

Jumping ship means I immediately get the pay that my responsibility level deserves.

Nice...Able to briefly mention which field you went into? Haha

Unregistered 11-07-2022 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225026)
Nice...Able to briefly mention which field you went into? Haha

Private education, but holding a management and consultancy role (which is basically what middle managers in MOE schools do anyway).

Unregistered 11-07-2022 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225046)
Private education, but holding a management and consultancy role (which is basically what middle managers in MOE schools do anyway).

wow, but is there still teaching involved? are the working hours similar to office hours?

Unregistered 11-07-2022 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225085)
wow, but is there still teaching involved? are the working hours similar to office hours?

Mindchamps?

Unregistered 12-07-2022 08:22 AM

Will I get blacklisted if I choose to reject MOE'S offer of sending me to NIE?

Unregistered 12-07-2022 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224996)
Private.

Jumping ship also sends a message, good on you.

Unregistered 12-07-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225162)
Jumping ship also sends a message, good on you.

Nah, I don't think it sends any strong message to MOE. They can't wait to see more leave so they can achieve their downsizing goals. More resignations = more sighs of relief, until maybe some time in the future, after a mass exodus, somebody finally realises they need to step up recruitment again (and the vicious cycle continues).

Unregistered 12-07-2022 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225187)
Nah, I don't think it sends any strong message to MOE. They can't wait to see more leave so they can achieve their downsizing goals. More resignations = more sighs of relief, until maybe some time in the future, after a mass exodus, somebody finally realises they need to step up recruitment again (and the vicious cycle continues).

What kind of retarded logic is that? I'm not teacher but my friends and family who are facing ever increasing workloads

Unregistered 12-07-2022 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225203)
What kind of retarded logic is that? I'm not teacher but my friends and family who are facing ever increasing workloads

MOE has been trying to downsize the teaching force. As for the logic behind it, I am only an EO. I am not as clever as the ivory tower AOs that make the policy decisions that stupid people like I will never have the brain cells to fathom.

Unregistered 13-07-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225141)
Will I get blacklisted if I choose to reject MOE'S offer of sending me to NIE?

Yes you will be blacklisted.

Unregistered 13-07-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225211)
MOE has been trying to downsize the teaching force. As for the logic behind it, I am only an EO. I am not as clever as the ivory tower AOs that make the policy decisions that stupid people like I will never have the brain cells to fathom.

gg downfall of rome coming soon
which country to move to next

Willy 13-07-2022 09:46 PM

Hello if anyone can advise what is number of years a confirmed SH needs to stay in the school before going for open posting?

Unregistered 13-07-2022 11:30 PM

Anyone on ranking panel can share the rough distribution of CEP for GEO3 officers? Are there a lot of P8, with some P7 and a handful of P6?

Unregistered 14-07-2022 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willy (Post 225284)
Hello if anyone can advise what is number of years a confirmed SH needs to stay in the school before going for open posting?

Think it's in the FAQs in the Open Posting comms/websites. 3 years.

Unregistered 14-07-2022 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225293)
Anyone on ranking panel can share the rough distribution of CEP for GEO3 officers? Are there a lot of P8, with some P7 and a handful of P6?

Pretty much, yes. P6 would be rare (though not impossible) - it implies consecutive raising of CEP in a short period. Such cases will also likely be promoted to GEO4 soon enough.

Unregistered 17-07-2022 05:54 PM

Release date

Hello!

How do we know if we will be released in Jan or Jun for open posting?

Thanks!

Unregistered 17-07-2022 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225652)
Hello!

How do we know if we will be released in Jan or Jun for open posting?

Thanks!

You wld have received ur released date thru HRP when ur P/ branch head endorsed ur application.

Unregistered 18-07-2022 09:55 PM

Saw a fellow KP get nominated to attend an interview to be a special assistant at schools div. What's the criteria to be chosen and do these posts help ones career?

Unregistered 18-07-2022 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225769)
Saw a fellow KP get nominated to attend an interview to be a special assistant at schools div. What's the criteria to be chosen and do these posts help ones career?

Depends. Did they apply thru open posting?

Usually a lot of these positions are open for Facilitated HQ Posting. But the interviews would have been conducted in Jan/Feb.

You get to rub shoulders with SLs and Cluster Supts throughout your stint. It can be useful.

Unregistered 19-07-2022 01:21 AM

today there is a student mother asking me to go hotel with her piak her and let her son learn about s-e-x education.

Should i take this opportunity?

Unregistered 19-07-2022 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225769)

School's Div vacancies for Special Assistant cannot be found in open posting. Your colleague has been recommended by your P and endorsed by Supt for the posting. I was an SA a few years ago. There were 5 of us in the tea session and all of us got in. I supposed ZDs usually trust the endorsement of the P and Supt.

As long as you have a stint from HQ, I would say that it would help you in one's career because the 2 to 3 years spent in HQ will widen your perspectives. Some div like SD are more hard to get in due to the fact that the vacancies are not even found in APEX.

Unregistered 19-07-2022 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225873)
School's Div vacancies for Special Assistant cannot be found in open posting. Your colleague has been recommended by your P and endorsed by Supt for the posting. I was an SA a few years ago. There were 5 of us in the tea session and all of us got in. I supposed ZDs usually trust the endorsement of the P and Supt.

As long as you have a stint from HQ, I would say that it would help you in one's career because the 2 to 3 years spent in HQ will widen your perspectives. Some div like SD are more hard to get in due to the fact that the vacancies are not even found in APEX.

What’s the job scope of a special assistant?