Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-06-2021 12:34 PM

Hi all, is it possible as a secondary school teacher to apply for a JC position during OPE? Thank you.

Unregistered 28-06-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175820)
Hi all, is it possible as a secondary school teacher to apply for a JC position during OPE? Thank you.

Yes, i have seen it before but i would think its not very common. Still possible though.

Unregistered 28-06-2021 07:31 PM

Hi could anyone please share what do Cluster Sups tend to ask and look out for during interviews? And would you know whether you clear/fail the interview on the spot? TIA

Unregistered 28-06-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175857)
Hi could anyone please share what do Cluster Sups tend to ask and look out for during interviews? And would you know whether you clear/fail the interview on the spot? TIA

If you are attending cluster interview, it’ll definitely be questions related to the KP position you are applying for. Make sure you the the KRAs of the role you are applying for as well as bigger MOE policies as well.

Most P/VPs will let you know your results the following day/the evening of the interview itself.

Unregistered 28-06-2021 09:33 PM

Ope

Hi, can I check for OPE can I apply if it fits my portfolio but the subject main does not fit? For instance applying for SH/CCE as a cl teacher whereas the school advertised for SH/CCE English teacher. Thank you :)

Unregistered 28-06-2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175882)
Hi, can I check for OPE can I apply if it fits my portfolio but the subject main does not fit? For instance applying for SH/CCE as a cl teacher whereas the school advertised for SH/CCE English teacher. Thank you :)

Email the school to ask the P. If the P is interested in you, he/she can still open up the vacancy for you in OPE now.

Unregistered 29-06-2021 12:15 AM

What is a good reason to say when I apply ope. I wan to leave this sch as I totally have no progression (all positions filled and full), I don't see any pull factor for me to stay, yet my sch according colleagues who tried, cannot say wan to change new environment.....any ideas?

Unregistered 29-06-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175904)
What is a good reason to say when I apply ope. I wan to leave this sch as I totally have no progression (all positions filled and full), I don't see any pull factor for me to stay, yet my sch according colleagues who tried, cannot say wan to change new environment.....any ideas?

You can be upfront and state that you are interested to climb but current sch has no openings? Or the PC way is that you want to experience new challenges elsewhere? Location is also a good reason. If the sch has not put in any effort to groom you for any positions, they will be willing to let u go.

Unregistered 30-06-2021 06:32 PM

Can I check if anybody has received calls for interview from HQ? Where did you apply to?

Unregistered 30-06-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175698)
Does NPL affect your PB grade? Took a 3-month NPL last year and received a C this year. Been in service for 4 years and have been a consistent B. Felt like my work for the whole of last year was discredited because of NPL. Any thoughts?

It's hard to try to make an objective comparison of performance (based on a set of KRAs) and come to a conclusion that someone who worked for 9 months generated better outcomes across the year than someone who worked for 12 months...

Remember that the performance grade isn't only about how well you did. It's about how well you did relative to others. So if you get a C because of NPL, it's not because your work in the months you were around was bad. It's because others had more time to hit more/higher KRAs.

Unregistered 01-07-2021 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174824)
Kinda frustrated and wondering if any of you have any advice... Here is my career history:

Male, FCH, PGDE
2013 June - graduated NIE PGDE, GEO2, PB C+
2014 October - Promoted GEO3, PB C+
2015 - GEO3, PB B
2016 - changed school, GEO3, PB B
2017 April - Promoted GEO4, PB B (in year of promotion)
2018 - GEO4, PB B
2019 - Compulsory HQ posting, GEO4, PB B
2020 - GEO4, PB B
2021 - Still GEO4

Kinda frustrated coz my PB has been a B for 6 yrs in a row (2015 to 2020) but I'm still nt promoted to GEO5. I dunno what else I can do to show my worth... Any advice from more senior colleagues? Thx a lot!

Maybe your CEP is Low. CEP matters for the rate of promotion. If your CEP is SEO1, then will take very long. If CEP is SEO2, then u should be promoted very fast.

I was a SH for 4 years but stuck at GEO4 for 5 years, only promoted to GEO5 after 5 years. Some Teachers same batch as me got promoted earlier than me because they were scholars with higher CEP than me but no KP. CEP matters!

Unregistered 01-07-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176132)
It's hard to try to make an objective comparison of performance (based on a set of KRAs) and come to a conclusion that someone who worked for 9 months generated better outcomes across the year than someone who worked for 12 months...

Remember that the performance grade isn't only about how well you did. It's about how well you did relative to others. So if you get a C because of NPL, it's not because your work in the months you were around was bad. It's because others had more time to hit more/higher KRAs.

Well said

I've seen people go for Maternity leave get an automatic C, while some got C+.
It really is about the impact of work.

Unregistered 01-07-2021 05:47 PM

Is it possible to join PGDE with private degree like Kaplan?

Unregistered 01-07-2021 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176251)

What do you think?

Use your common sense.

Unregistered 01-07-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176255)
What do you think?

Use your common sense.

Simple yes or no. No need to be so rude. Who knows if MOE accept private degrees?

Unregistered 01-07-2021 06:59 PM

when does moe increase pay for those who just graduated nie? is it jul or aug? thanks.

Unregistered 01-07-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176251)

No!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered 02-07-2021 10:24 AM

When you apply for OP positions, will your P and/or RO know which position and school you are applying to?

Unregistered 02-07-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176330)
When you apply for OP positions, will your P and/or RO know which position and school you are applying to?

P will know. RO will not know.

Unregistered 02-07-2021 06:03 PM

P gets email notification when you accept an offer.

That said, because school leaders tend to know each other, there's a good chance they might be asked about it. I'd advise letting RO (at least) know before applying.

Quote:

Unregistered 02-07-2021 08:38 PM

Got offered to be a subject coordinator. Don’t understand what the job entails so not sure whether or not to take it up. Anyone knows?

Unregistered 02-07-2021 09:23 PM

Hello. I’m in the 3rd year of service now and would like to apply for a HQ posting. But the procedure to apply for HQ posts mentioned about having 3 years of teaching experience but since this is my 3rd year, does that mean I don’t meet the requirements? Or will they look at the 3 years requirement as at the year of posting in (I.e. next year)? Thanks!

Unregistered 03-07-2021 10:09 AM

0.3 month bonus is still not in?

Unregistered 03-07-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176437)
Got offered to be a subject coordinator. Don’t understand what the job entails so not sure whether or not to take it up. Anyone knows?

A good opportunity to work with others. Might be a chance for future SH/KP roles.

Unregistered 03-07-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176438)
Hello. I’m in the 3rd year of service now and would like to apply for a HQ posting. But the procedure to apply for HQ posts mentioned about having 3 years of teaching experience but since this is my 3rd year, does that mean I don’t meet the requirements? Or will they look at the 3 years requirement as at the year of posting in (I.e. next year)? Thanks!

Counted, can try.

Unregistered 03-07-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

An official notification will only come to your P if you accept an offer in HRMS.

But it is a basic courtesy to inform your P and RO that you are intending to apply and there is a possibility that you will leave, should you be offered a position elsewhere. Unless you are for some reason completely not on talking terms with your P, you really should give him/her a heads up first.

It's quite rude to the P if he/she finds out first from another P or a Branch Head about your application, but radio silence from you. Or worse, suddenly receive a HRMS notification of your new posting out of the blue.

Unregistered 04-07-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176437)

You will lead a (small?) team in creating resources, oversee assessment and introduce new and relevant pedagogy. Sometimes, it is just you and not even a team.

Basically, you are an unofficial SH/LH. Do the work but without the offloading or Responsibility Allowance. You can either see it as an opportunity to prove your worth and be called for KP interview one day, or you might end up seeing it as sai kang. Depends on your lens.

Being a subject coordinator might be useful during your ranking, though it depends on your GEO ranking and your peers.

Unregistered 04-07-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176438)

Also, need to note that to go to HQ, you will need P7 CEP. Of course you wont know what your CEP is. But you can try.

Unregistered 05-07-2021 01:33 AM

I think all depends on school. I'm not offered as a subject coordinator but I'm doing all the coordinator job. Simply because my sch has excess this subject teacher. And their taiji skills v good. I'm new as compared to the rest of them.......

Sometimes I feel so not worth doing those job because at the end of the day, credits stolen.

Unregistered 05-07-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176626)
You will lead a (small?) team in creating resources, oversee assessment and introduce new and relevant pedagogy. Sometimes, it is just you and not even a team.

Basically, you are an unofficial SH/LH. Do the work but without the offloading or Responsibility Allowance. You can either see it as an opportunity to prove your worth and be called for KP interview one day, or you might end up seeing it as sai kang. Depends on your lens.

Being a subject coordinator might be useful during your ranking, though it depends on your GEO ranking and your peers.

In some schools, every person in the department seems to be allocated a "coordinator" role. This is done by "dividing" roles further into e.g. individual levels/more specific subjects etc. Perhaps the HOD wants to make things fair? But in doing so, how does it differentiate whether someone is more competent or not?

This is the first time I've heard that being a coordinator can help with ranking or in taking up KP/SH roles...because everyone in the department/school will have such a role anyway (unless already HOD or ST etc.)

Unregistered 05-07-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176860)
In some schools, every person in the department seems to be allocated a "coordinator" role. This is done by "dividing" roles further into e.g. individual levels/more specific subjects etc. Perhaps the HOD wants to make things fair? But in doing so, how does it differentiate whether someone is more competent or not?

This is the first time I've heard that being a coordinator can help with ranking or in taking up KP/SH roles...because everyone in the department/school will have such a role anyway (unless already HOD or ST etc.)

Original poster here. As mentioned previously, being a coordinator might (not will) help with promotion. Like what you mentioned, if everyone is already a coordinator, then it is par for course.

To answer your question on differentiating, I always found it useful to look at the KRA of a GEO that is one level higher. If you're a 4, look at the work a 5 is supposed to do. That will easily help with differentiating. If everyone in your department is a 4 and everyone is doing a work of a 4, then everyone bunches up at the same PB level.

More importantly, think of it as opportunity to create work that has impact that goes beyond the classroom (e.g. level wide) and how it can provide be a glimpse of leadership work.

Unregistered 05-07-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176860)

The role is just a name. What matters is the impact your work brings about. Even if you are not a coordinator, you managed to implement a fantastic pedagogy and share it with your school and even cluster, then the impact you’ve made will definitely be greater than a coordinator who simply creates resources for the entire level. This is just the truth. Life.

Unregistered 06-07-2021 03:58 PM

How long does a zoom interview usually last for OP?

Unregistered 08-07-2021 07:43 PM

MI

I am a teacher that returned to service last July and got my merit increment this month, just wanna check what is the "normal" amt for merit increment and what amt is considered a good performance MI? Thanks!

Unregistered 08-07-2021 08:13 PM

English as a teaching subject

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168474)
thank you for this detailed response! ☺️

work-life balance in law is absolutely terrible, i’m prepared to leave the office past midnight as a trainee. but it seems like teaching definitely has a degree of this as well. i’ll keep that in mind!

i definitely will complete my legal training and try my best to stick it out, but i honestly do not think it’s going to be feasible for me to sleep 3 hours a day till i’m thirty. and thank you for that suggestion, too! i’ll apply for relief teaching during my school breaks. this is something that worries me as well, i came from an international school and did ib instead of going down the mainstream education path. i’m quite afraid this might disadvantage me, but i do think EL skills are transferable, no matter the curriculum.

thank you, again!

Hey there just saw this and yes the work is extremely fulfilling, probably more so than most legal careers where you're enriching your partners and helping clients fulfill the word of the law instead of the spirit of it!

However, I'd strongly, strongly recommend against English as a teaching subject if you have the opportunity to interview for anything else. On top of normal duties (teaching, internal and national examination invigilation, CCA, committee work, ad-hoc events), English department teachers where I am at write emcee scripts, train emcees for all school events and celebrations, proofread graduating student testimonials, do internal oral examinations, and are expected to train and groom students to participate in essay / public speaking competitions at the baseline. You may find yourself burning out way before a peer in a different department does.

Languages are generally a revolving door in my school except for those with exceptionally strong wills and are willing to accept basically 65-70 hour weeks for 40 weeks of the year, with marking taken home to do at night and on weekends, and possibly under five hours of sleep per day during examination period.

Unregistered 09-07-2021 05:36 PM

Hi,

Can I check, for those undergoing contract teaching, will the marriage leave be given?

If so, will it affect your grading to enter NIE?

Unregistered 10-07-2021 08:43 AM

Hi, I graduated from NIE around 5 years back and currently with my secondary school for the past 5 years, drawing a base salary of $5k. Is this commensurate with the market average? If not, what is it roughly? Wondering if there are room for negotiations, thanks!

Unregistered 10-07-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177488)
Hi, I graduated from NIE around 5 years back and currently with my secondary school for the past 5 years, drawing a base salary of $5k. Is this commensurate with the market average? If not, what is it roughly? Wondering if there are room for negotiations, thanks!

If you're not an NSman, it's right about average. If you are an NSman, those who have hit GEO4 this year are ahead of you.

There is no room for negotiation, only merit increments and promotion increments according to HR's algorithms.

Unregistered 10-07-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177497)
If you're not an NSman, it's right about average. If you are an NSman, those who have hit GEO4 this year are ahead of you.

There is no room for negotiation, only merit increments and promotion increments according to HR's algorithms.

Thanks for the feedback - I am an NSman. What is the GEO4 range may I ask?

Unregistered 10-07-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177038)
How long does a zoom interview usually last for OP?

I went for 2 interviews on Friday. One lasted 20 min, the other just 10 min. But I didn't have a good feeling. Now just waiting for the "death" sentence for them to officially say no to me.