Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 19-06-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174747)
From the years that I've been in my school, the majority of the guys (if not all) who graduate from NIE (in-service since June) usually get promoted in Oct the next year.

Is it usually the case that those who get promoted in Apr have higher CEP than the promotees in Oct? How do they decide who gets promoted in Apr and Oct in the same year?

Unregistered 19-06-2021 11:00 PM

Frustrated

Kinda frustrated and wondering if any of you have any advice... Here is my career history:

Male, FCH, PGDE
2013 June - graduated NIE PGDE, GEO2, PB C+
2014 October - Promoted GEO3, PB C+
2015 - GEO3, PB B
2016 - changed school, GEO3, PB B
2017 April - Promoted GEO4, PB B (in year of promotion)
2018 - GEO4, PB B
2019 - Compulsory HQ posting, GEO4, PB B
2020 - GEO4, PB B
2021 - Still GEO4

Kinda frustrated coz my PB has been a B for 6 yrs in a row (2015 to 2020) but I'm still nt promoted to GEO5. I dunno what else I can do to show my worth... Any advice from more senior colleagues? Thx a lot!

Unregistered 19-06-2021 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174824)
Kinda frustrated and wondering if any of you have any advice... Here is my career history:

Male, FCH, PGDE
2015 - GEO3, PB B
2018 - GEO4, PB B
2020 - GEO4, PB B
2021 - Still GEO4

Kinda frustrated coz my PB has been a B for 6 yrs in a row (2015 to 2020) but I'm still nt promoted to GEO5. I dunno what else I can do to show my worth... Any advice from more senior colleagues? Thx a lot!

The education service has very slow promotion rates ever since the update of the scheme in 2015. Much slower than the MX scheme. Would suggest you strongly consider whether you want to continue in the service, at the cost of slower promotion. Since you are in HQ, you can attempt to convert scheme of service to MX11. Would be easier if you’re in the policy or services wing. Good luck.

Unregistered 20-06-2021 02:59 AM

I think you have not been promoted to GEO 5 because your CEP had not been adjusted before you joined HQ. However, I presume your AD and Director would have adjusted your CEP during your HQ stint since you have been consistently getting Bs

Quote:

Male, FCH, PGDE
2015 - GEO3, PB B
2018 - GEO4, PB B
2020 - GEO4, PB B
2021 - Still GEO4

Unregistered 20-06-2021 03:04 AM

The fact that you got promoted to GEO4 within two years of teaching shows that your school then adjusted your CEP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174072)
Maybe i can shed some light. Been teaching since 2012, FCH from NIE degree programme.

First posting to an independent school

2012: 4.1k (GEO 2 - the old scheme was 1.1, or 2.1)
2013: 4.6k (GEO 3 - old GEO 1A1 scheme)
2014: 4.8k (GEO 4 - old GEO 1A2)

Changed schools.

2015 - 2017: went to 6.1k iirc

Changed schools again

2018: 6.3k
2019: 6.5k (became SH)
2021: 7.1k (GEO 5)

Key things I've learnt

1. Your relationship with all HODs and SLs are crucial. While you can do good dept work and your HOD can attest to it, join committees chaired by other HODs. More voices to help fight for you and corroborate your contributions (of course dont screw up).

2. The only way to get promoted fast is to be doing work at a higher GEO level. Notice I did not just say "do more work", but do work that is at a higher GEO level. Look at the EPMS form of an SEO (or at least GEO 5), and notice how the impact needs to be more level wide. So,do more impactful work that goes beyond the classroom.

3. Scholars (LMS, Overseas) do get a better head start (in terms of opportunities and perception). But if you screw up, you hentak kaki. I have also seen non-scholars rise. You have to create your own opportunities and take them. I have seen HODs demoted to being a normal teacher, departments complaining to Supt about HODs. Being a HOD does not automatically make you a leader (let alone a good one). Have the right values and lead with a heart.

4. If you choose to just be a Happy, Ordinary Teacher, that is fine. Just be happy and go with the flow. Maxing out at GEO 5 with a 7.8k salary is not bad compared to private sector. Every career has its pros and cons.

5. To BTs, don't just mix with other BTs / young teachers. Your older colleagues have the wisdom of experience to share with you.

rosnyus 20-06-2021 09:35 AM

I am a Happy Ordinary Teacher who is thinking of converting to part-time by dropping my CCA duties (currently IC of CCA) from Sem 2 2022 to focus my son / daughter taking PSLE in 2023. Understand that it would of course affect my performance bonus etc.

But would it push my connect plan payout schedule? Suppose to get my 20th year payout at end 2023. probably the size of the connect plan yearly deposit / final payout will be affected but will it affect the scheduled payment date?

I asked an experienced colleague who took part-time (for her kids) for at least 4 years about this but she cannot remember haha to her, money came in and came out too fast for her to realise haha

Unregistered 20-06-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Male, FCH, PGDE
2015 - GEO3, PB B
2018 - GEO4, PB B
2020 - GEO4, PB B
2021 - Still GEO4

Hi, could you share your salary progression from GEO2 to your current GEO4 in 2021? Noticed you have been GEO4 for 4 years, if there are any increment during this period feel free to share too, thank you would be really helpful!

wongwh95 20-06-2021 10:15 AM

Applying to MOE as Fresh Grad

Hello, I am currently a Final Year undergrad majoring in Sport Science & Management in NTU and have recently applied for PGDE (PE). Was wondering what will the success rate of being shortlisted for the interview. And will the salary be different due to the knowledge and experience in the sporting field.

Unregistered 20-06-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174819)
Is it usually the case that those who get promoted in Apr have higher CEP than the promotees in Oct? How do they decide who gets promoted in Apr and Oct in the same year?

From what I know for GEO2 to GEO3 cohort promotion:

PGDE intake does practicum in Jan/Feb --> posted officially in Feb/Mar
Degree intake does practicum in Feb/Mar --> posted officially in Jun/Jul

This explains why for most of the time, PGDE cohort promotion would be in earlier in Apr than those in the NIE Degree Programme in Oct (since the degree programme teachers are officially posted much later). This seems to be the trend in most schools.

Also, I'm speaking for those who have attained honours - not too sure if this is the same for those without.

Unregistered 20-06-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosnyus (Post 174838)
I am a Happy Ordinary Teacher who is thinking of converting to part-time by dropping my CCA duties (currently IC of CCA) from Sem 2 2022 to focus my son / daughter taking PSLE in 2023. Understand that it would of course affect my performance bonus etc.

But would it push my connect plan payout schedule? Suppose to get my 20th year payout at end 2023. probably the size of the connect plan yearly deposit / final payout will be affected but will it affect the scheduled payment date?

I asked an experienced colleague who took part-time (for her kids) for at least 4 years about this but she cannot remember haha to her, money came in and came out too fast for her to realise haha

You will still get but the amount will be prorated. Similar to teachers who took npl.

Unregistered 20-06-2021 03:20 PM

What is the average timeline of promotion from SEO 1 to 2?

Unregistered 20-06-2021 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174863)

Im a non scholar. Got SEO1 and SEO2 4 years apart.

Unregistered 20-06-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174864)

What were ur perf grades between seo1 and seo2?

Unregistered 20-06-2021 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174863)

Not avg time-line. If you are a very high performer, I have seen KPs who got it at late 30s. I have also seen HODs who got it at close to 50 years old.

Unregistered 20-06-2021 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174864)

You must be a very high performer. Have seen both a VP and a large portfolio HOD receiving SEO 2 at the same time. VP is couple years older than large portfolio HOD.

Unregistered 21-06-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174866)
What were ur perf grades between seo1 and seo2?

I got my SEO 1 in HQ. So my SEO 1 promotion was due to my work in my previous school. Got C+ in HQ for 2 years. And 2 Bs in my posting after HQ.

I was grateful that my director recognises me and did not give me the default C when I was newly promoted. In my current zone, my supt insists on giving newly promoted officers default C. So my annual pay as a SEO 2 was lower. And I think it will continue in years to come because there are VPs with SEO2. Work definitely increase but pay may not increase.

But at the end of the day, I love the children and my job. I guess that is what matters. :)

Unregistered 21-06-2021 09:10 PM

Sounds like you r in FLP. Are you? Since you went for facilitated hq posting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174934)
I got my SEO 1 in HQ. So my SEO 1 promotion was due to my work in my previous school. Got C+ in HQ for 2 years. And 2 Bs in my posting after HQ.

I was grateful that my director recognises me and did not give me the default C when I was newly promoted. In my current zone, my supt insists on giving newly promoted officers default C. So my annual pay as a SEO 2 was lower. And I think it will continue in years to come because there are VPs with SEO2. Work definitely increase but pay may not increase.

But at the end of the day, I love the children and my job. I guess that is what matters. :)

Unregistered 21-06-2021 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175054)

Nope. As mentioned I am not a scholar. I don’t even have an honours degree. :)

My friends who are in FLP are already VPs.

Unregistered 21-06-2021 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175073)

No need to be scholar or honours degree. Came across a principal who was non honours and non scholar. The p was a mid career and rather young.

Unregistered 22-06-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175054)

Don't need to be on FLP to have fHQ posting. Besides overseas scholars and EMS, non-scholars with high CEP will also be invited. I personally know Teaching Award holders and non-scholars who are not on FLP but have been invited for fHQ before the age of 30. They are consistent high performers who have expressed strong interest to climb the ladder.

Unregistered 22-06-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 163605)
Then in this case, leave teaching so that moe can draw in new blood. There are plenty of aspiring applicants who are dying to get it but it's very hard now..

sorry but this is honestly so laughable lmao

Unregistered 22-06-2021 04:22 PM

Yup, I am aware of that. You must first be identified and invited for one of the tea sessions.

Unregistered 22-06-2021 04:25 PM

Non scholars can also be invited to join FLP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175073)

Unregistered 22-06-2021 05:14 PM

Is it true that P has no say over who get to the next grade? Mainly determined by MOE HR based on our CEP?

Unregistered 22-06-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175172)
Is it true that P has no say over who get to the next grade? Mainly determined by MOE HR based on our CEP?

Totally inaccurate. If P wants someone to promote, they will automatically increase their CEP so that their promotion will come faster. Likewise, if they want to slow down your promotion, they can simply lower your CEP.

Unregistered 22-06-2021 06:39 PM

C-

for C- performance, usually there is no promotion for 3 years.

when is the first year counted from?

if one gets C- for word done in 2019, does that 1st year of no promotion include or exclude 2019?

Unregistered 22-06-2021 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175174)
Totally inaccurate. If P wants someone to promote, they will automatically increase their CEP so that their promotion will come faster. Likewise, if they want to slow down your promotion, they can simply lower your CEP.

I suspect so too...my grade has consistently been C or C+ only for past 5-6 years.

Currently in GEO 4. What is the usual timeline to get from GEO 4 to 5 for someone with my CEP?

Unregistered 22-06-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175193)
I suspect so too...my grade has consistently been C or C+ only for past 5-6 years.

Currently in GEO 4. What is the usual timeline to get from GEO 4 to 5 for someone with my CEP?

How long have you been in service? Are you holding any position or have you indicated that you want to be groomed as KP/ST. Most teachers would end in GEO5. So if you are not groomed for KP/ST, the jump from GEO4 to GEO5 will take a while.

Unregistered 22-06-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175202)
How long have you been in service? Are you holding any position or have you indicated that you want to be groomed as KP/ST. Most teachers would end in GEO5. So if you are not groomed for KP/ST, the jump from GEO4 to GEO5 will take a while.

In service for about 11 years. Yes, have indicated but I suspect no available position in my current place

Unregistered 23-06-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175206)
In service for about 11 years. Yes, have indicated but I suspect no available position in my current place

Open posting coming, time to shop around.

Unregistered 23-06-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175206)

You have indicated is one thing, whether they want you is another thing.

Unregistered 24-06-2021 10:42 PM

Can i check, if i am eligible to collect connect plan this year, what must be my last day in order to be able to collect the connect plan?

31 December last day can collect?

or must the last day be in January next year?

Anyone knows?

Unregistered 24-06-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175458)
Can i check, if i am eligible to collect connect plan this year, what must be my last day in order to be able to collect the connect plan?

Anyone knows?

You should email HR to get a confirmation. Most of the people I know only tender after the $$$ goes into their bank and end work in mid Jan

Unregistered 25-06-2021 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175458)

Anyone knows?

Used to be Jan but that was very disruptive. Recent years, they have changed already that your last day of work is till end Dec and you are still eligible for the full connect plan.

guest 123455 26-06-2021 06:07 PM

Increment

Does anyone know how much is the increment after graduating from NIE, for FCH/Ns?

Unregistered 27-06-2021 03:49 AM

Quote:

Male, FCH, PGDE
2015 - GEO3, PB B
2018 - GEO4, PB B
2020 - GEO4, PB B
2021 - Still GEO4

Any chance you changed school leaders after the HQ posting and your current school leaders have not taken a liking to you.

Unregistered 27-06-2021 10:12 AM

Does NPL affect your PB grade? Took a 3-month NPL last year and received a C this year. Been in service for 4 years and have been a consistent B. Felt like my work for the whole of last year was discredited because of NPL. Any thoughts?

Unregistered 27-06-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175698)
Does NPL affect your PB grade? Took a 3-month NPL last year and received a C this year. Been in service for 4 years and have been a consistent B. Felt like my work for the whole of last year was discredited because of NPL. Any thoughts?

Definitely yes. If you take NPL for 3 months and still get B, it’ll be unfair for the colleagues who work full year to achieve that B.

Unregistered 27-06-2021 02:39 PM

When is OPE out?

Unregistered 27-06-2021 04:44 PM

Believe it's 28 Jun (tmr).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175724)
When is OPE out?