Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 08-10-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185654)
Hello, I am new to this forum.

Just out of curiosity, for those who have been under contract teaching, do you get any PB or increment before heading to NIE? TIA.

Both no. U will get increment after NIE. You will get PB only if u are ranked for the work done for the year, but probably default grade in your first yr in school.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 08:00 PM

Hello, how soon can one get invited for facilitated hq posting? 2 years in service? 3? 4?

When will the invitation be given out? Start or end of year?

Unregistered 08-10-2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185699)
Hello, how soon can one get invited for facilitated hq posting? 2 years in service? 3? 4?

When will the invitation be given out? Start or end of year?

Are you a scholar?
Are you a top performer?
If you are, you’ll be asked to go.

If not, just apply on your own.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185701)
Are you a scholar?
Are you a top performer?

Just a lowly TSL...but I've been told recently my CEP had been raised to that of a HOD. have been perfoming above average too.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185707)
Just a lowly TSL...but I've been told recently my CEP had been raised to that of a HOD. have been perfoming above average too.

Be prepared to wait for 4-7 years (based on observation) if you want the fhq route as a local sch.. Suggest you just apply on your own if u r really keen on the hq posting. Lowly scholars wait longer than the higher tier scholars who get in faster. At the end of the day, both still do the same hq job :)

Unregistered 09-10-2021 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185624)
From 2021, C- also means no connect plan deposit for that year.

Read the circular properly. Previously, a minimum of D is needed to get connect plan deposit. From 2021, it’s a minimum of C-

Unregistered 09-10-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185283)
Anyone knows of a whistle-blowing platform for MOE staff? Desperate and frustrated staff here

Just curious, what is the matter generally about? Workplace bullying?

Unregistered 09-10-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185447)
Just curious about the ranking process… anyone wouldn’t mind sharing their experience ranking staff? Always wondered what it’s like? I imagine that there will be different KPs speaking up for the teacher and sometime there will be disagreements. Is it like that? Haha.

Also to add on for ranking...are the YHs involved?

When will the performance grade for each officer be finalised? Meaning it has been submitted and even SLs can't change it anymore?

Unregistered 09-10-2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185752)
Just curious, what is the matter generally about? Workplace bullying?

Said person's gross misconduct that brings the profession into disrepute, on top of sheer incompetence. Situation is complicated and in-house management has already been alerted, but nothing seems to have changed, with no action taken, to the point where one fears if matter has just been swept under the carpet to avoid more controversy. Honestly wondering if things will actually be dealt with more swiftly and properly once exposed e.g. reported in the media.

Unregistered 09-10-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185762)
Said person's gross misconduct that brings the profession into disrepute, on top of sheer incompetence. Situation is complicated and in-house management has already been alerted, but nothing seems to have changed, with no action taken, to the point where one fears if matter has just been swept under the carpet to avoid more controversy. Honestly wondering if things will actually be dealt with more swiftly and properly once exposed e.g. reported in the media.

Mmm. Sounds serious.

Unregistered 09-10-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185767)
Mmm. Sounds serious.

Alert your cluster sup.

Unregistered 10-10-2021 06:42 AM

Delay in pay advice

Anyone realise this month pay advice not out yet? How come? Will there be delay in salary payment?

Unregistered 10-10-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185800)
Anyone realise this month pay advice not out yet? How come? Will there be delay in salary payment?

download workpal to check. 👍🏽

Unregistered 11-10-2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185701)
Are you a scholar?
Are you a top performer?

scholar and get posted back to sch as subject head will have increment ?
usually hw much increase

Unregistered 11-10-2021 05:50 PM

Overseas travel

Anyone intending to travel overseas? Likely to be approved?

Unregistered 11-10-2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185882)
usually hw much increase

Unlss youre a PSC scholar, just hope for the best. Dont have too high expectations

Unregistered 12-10-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185882)
usually hw much increase

Increment is not based on posting or appointment. There are only 3 ways to get an increment:

1. Merit increment in April
2. Promotion increment
3. Salary adjustment affecting your subgrade (e.g. service-wide salary increase)

Unregistered 12-10-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185964)
Increment is not based on posting or appointment. There are only 3 ways to get an increment:

1. Merit increment in April
2. Promotion increment
3. Salary adjustment affecting your subgrade (e.g. service-wide salary increase)

as do civil servants

Unregistered 13-10-2021 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186027)
as do civil servants

It's logical for salary progression to be time-gated, but it feels like the civil service system takes it to an extreme such that you see young management appointees drawing non-management salaries for years and years (because they are still stuck in non-management subgrades). Forget the high tier scholars for a moment but you have some truly capable young officers who are severely underpaid for the level of responsibility on their shoulders.

This is why we have brain drain of the genuinely capable ones, and are left with the mediocre scholars climbing to the top, who know they are not good enough to perform outside of the CS.

Unregistered 13-10-2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186058)
It's logical for salary progression to be time-gated, but it feels like the civil service system takes it to an extreme such that you see young management appointees drawing non-management salaries for years and years (because they are still stuck in non-management subgrades). Forget the high tier scholars for a moment but you have some truly capable young officers who are severely underpaid for the level of responsibility on their shoulders.

This is why we have brain drain of the genuinely capable ones, and are left with the mediocre scholars climbing to the top, who know they are not good enough to perform outside of the CS.

It takes years to hone apple polishing skills.
It is good for young managerial teachers to interact with vps and ps and various hods, to develop a longitudinal approach to strategic favoritism, that will last the change of principals.

kurashi 13-10-2021 11:16 PM

Hi

anyone from MOE, who understands the job hierarchy well can shed some light ?

I do see, senior head, manager, senior manager, Assistant director, etc., may I ask which how does the hierachy work?

Lets say, I am career switching to senior head role, what will be the most probable salary range?

Unregistered 14-10-2021 04:31 AM

For MX scale queries, think you're probably better off asking at the "Job Application with MOE (non-teaching position)" thread (can search for it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurashi (Post 186189)
Hi

anyone from MOE, who understands the job hierarchy well can shed some light ?

I do see, senior head, manager, senior manager, Assistant director, etc., may I ask which how does the hierachy work?

Lets say, I am career switching to senior head role, what will be the most probable salary range?

Unregistered 15-10-2021 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186059)
It takes years to hone apple polishing skills.
It is good for young managerial teachers to interact with vps and ps and various hods, to develop a longitudinal approach to strategic favoritism, that will last the change of principals.

just because one has good rapport, u call tat apple polishing.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 11:55 AM

Transport claim

Hi, under what scenarios can moe teachers claim reimbursement for private car hire transport?

Unregistered 17-10-2021 03:33 PM

What happens if…

You take mc for psle marking? Will you be ‘marked’?

Feeling unwell.

Unregistered 18-10-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186774)
You take mc for psle marking? Will you be ‘marked’?

Feeling unwell.

Pls rest. Health is more impt. You are replaceable by the govt. but your family cannot replace you.

Tired, exhausted 18-10-2021 06:22 PM

Just wanted to rant

Hello all,

Just wanted to release some tension here. If all goes well, I will receive my Connect Plan payment next year. However, I am just so exhausted and drained from teaching. I desperately need a break!!!

Right now, I am barely hanging in there. I know the holidays are coming but it brings no relief whatsoever.

Unregistered 24-10-2021 10:15 PM

Take care

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tired, exhausted (Post 186987)
Hello all,

Just wanted to release some tension here. If all goes well, I will receive my Connect Plan payment next year. However, I am just so exhausted and drained from teaching. I desperately need a break!!!

Right now, I am barely hanging in there. I know the holidays are coming but it brings no relief whatsoever.

I've known of several fellow educators suffering from mental health issues due to stress from work. If need be, apply for NPL and take a break. It is not worth it to break down just for that ranking exercise, promotion, PB or CONNECT plan. Remember you can only offer your best when you are at your best state. Hopefully the system will be kinder to all teachers in time to be. Do speak to your close work friends who can offer you advice on what you can do. Take care and all the best.

Unregistered 24-10-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tired, exhausted (Post 186987)
Hello all,

Please take a good break. Mental and physical health are utmost important.

Unregistered 25-10-2021 12:13 PM

anyone got any experience in teaching at pathlight? how was the experience there?

Unregistered 25-10-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182811)
care to share what your friends did after they left teaching service? thanks

Replying to this (and also to address those who are burnt out).

I have some who went into freelance tutoring or tuition centres. Pay may have decreased but workload decreased A LOT more.

If you still prefer some stability, some of my friends hopped to other Ministries or SB. I think even after 5-7 years of teaching, you'll still be considered young enough and there's still quite a high chance to be able to hop to these places.

Of course, there are also those who went to pursue their passion by starting from scratch in the private sector, or setting up their own businesses.

Many different possibilities, but one thing I noticed was that all of them were a lot happier and healthier after that :)

Unregistered 25-10-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187932)

I have some who went into freelance tutoring or tuition centres. Pay may have decreased but workload decreased A LOT more.

If you still prefer some stability, some of my friends hopped to other Ministries or SB. I think even after 5-7 years of teaching, you'll still be considered young enough and there's still quite a high chance to be able to hop to these places.

Of course, there are also those who went to pursue their passion by starting from scratch in the private sector, or setting up their own businesses.

Many different possibilities, but one thing I noticed was that all of them were a lot happier and healthier after that :)

yup just do tuition. the only bad thing is if u r home tutor, may have to travel from places to places. but the workload confirm a lot lighter. And its easier to each 1-1. As long as there is psle, o levels, a levels, there will always be demand for tuition.

If u really dislike teaching or is burnt out, u can always make a switch, as long as u have a plan. Most ppl are scared to quit cuz this is an iron rice bowl. They are worried that if they quit, it is not so easy to find another iron rice bowl. But i agree mental health n physical health is still the most important.

i am also quitting end of the year, because i have come to the point where i dread to go to work. I want to be able to wake up feeling happy n look forward to each new day, n not just be happy during school holidays (my weekends are usually burnt marking as well).

Just don't quit and don't know what u want to do after your break. I have a plan n new found passion n i am looking forward to starting a brand new life.

Unregistered 27-10-2021 04:22 PM

Any chances of being employed as a relief if kena a C- or D before?

Unregistered 27-10-2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187932)

Another option is to apply via open posting to independent schools. Workload should be a lot lighter than Govt schs.

Unregistered 28-10-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188227)
Another option is to apply via open posting to independent schools. Workload should be a lot lighter than Govt schs.

Try applying to St Stephen. Its an awesome school to be in.

Unregistered 30-10-2021 10:57 AM

Anyone can share what is increment from GEO5 to SEO1?

Unregistered 31-10-2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188515)
Anyone can share what is increment from GEO5 to SEO1?

Think it depends on factors like where you are on the GEO5 payscale, your merit increment that year, etc. But as a rough guide, I got about +550.

Unregistered 31-10-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188599)
Think it depends on factors like where you are on the GEO5 payscale, your merit increment that year, etc. But as a rough guide, I got about +550.

Thanks for sharing! Could u share what part of GEO5 pay scale u were on and ur perf grade the previous year?

Unregistered 03-11-2021 08:39 PM

it's 2021... why does MOE (or CS in general) still consider NS as work experience and give a bonus as a starting pay?

Unregistered 03-11-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189039)
it's 2021... why does MOE (or CS in general) still consider NS as work experience and give a bonus as a starting pay?

Not sure about the official explanation, but I'm guessing that it's because even after 54 years, Singaporean males are forced to effectively give up two years of their life through mandatory conscription, chalking up opportunity cost in the form of lost income. In the long run, the salary ceilings are the same... you'll reach them soon enough, regardless of whether you'd served NS or not.

Unhappy with the situation? You can lobby for equal treatment across genders; e.g. females to serve NS too, or to be offered the chance to serve and receive the same minor perks in the civil service.