Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 24-03-2023 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243573)
For another data point: one of the teachers in my prev school got around 450 from geo3 to geo4. Had quite a good perf grade. This is about an 8.5% increase from their geo3 salary point.

Will need to remember, the increase has two components:

The yearly merit increment, and the promotion increment.

So, that 450 - is it the overall increase, or just the promotion increment?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 11:32 AM

No news on promo on my side too. I think it's delayed this year...or promotion freeze.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 12:04 PM

Received email from P, promoted to GEO4 :) - Not sure what will be the increment.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 12:06 PM

The list is out for many schools. Every year, I wonder how the promotees are determined, by the SL or central hr. Some jia Liao bee promotion came like rocket while a bai ka liao sai gang warrior SH like with with consistent good perf stuck at geo 5 for donkey years.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 12:47 PM

Just got the message from my P that I got promoted.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 01:46 PM

Tuition centres

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243568)
I have seen good and bad examples. These centers are results-driven. In fact, they are more ruthless than SLs. If you are confident that you can produce results, please go ahead because centers can really pay more. If you are not a star tutor, you might be fired after a year. My friend is a star tutor who raked in 300k a year. But I also have colleagues who returned to teaching after a failed stint in the tuition industry (and he is a decent teacher).

Of course. Kids attend school; tuition is to secure a good grade. The worry is that good teaching happens in the tuition centres because the quality of teachers is higher. Hard to say for other levels, but the famous JC tuition centres definitely have teachers who are way better than JC teachers - many of those in the former boasts first class hons while those in JCs struggle to solve harder qns! this is worrying because obviously tuition costs money

Unregistered 24-03-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243591)
The list is out for many schools. Every year, I wonder how the promotees are determined, by the SL or central hr. Some jia Liao bee promotion came like rocket while a bai ka liao sai gang warrior SH like with with consistent good perf stuck at geo 5 for donkey years.

omg ikr. someone from my sch last year just join the sch promote to geo5. This year consecutive promotion to SEO1. wtf

Unregistered 24-03-2023 02:03 PM

P pass by me today never say I promote..
☹️
I’m so sad to be a Geo 3 again again again another year again again again

Unregistered 24-03-2023 02:32 PM

Am a GEO 5 doing HOD role for a few years and still no sight of SEO 1.
Slog so hard and nothing this year yet.

oh wells.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243606)
Am a GEO 5 doing HOD role for a few years and still no sight of SEO 1.
Slog so hard and nothing this year yet.

oh wells.

I am in the same predicament as you. Somehow, it seems that one needs a scholar or mid-career status for faster promotion now as the process slowed down since years ago. I don’t know what the norm is anymore. Been in this grade for 5 years and performance grade is A/B.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243602)
omg ikr. someone from my sch last year just join the sch promote to geo5. This year consecutive promotion to SEO1. wtf

Based on last few pages of posts about how important networking is, perhaps he's a well-connected scholar favoured by SLs? Work wise probably outstanding enough too I guess?

Such fast promotions are now extremely rare though...If it's true of course

Unregistered 24-03-2023 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243580)

think its the total overall

from the posts from the last few years, lots of people said both promotion and merit increments got slashed by 30% or so since covid, and this might have become permanent even after covid now

also looking at the other civil service threads, it seems like the closer u are to the ceiling, the smaller the % of merit increment

Unregistered 24-03-2023 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243610)
I am in the same predicament as you. Somehow, it seems that one needs a scholar or mid-career status for faster promotion now as the process slowed down since years ago. I don’t know what the norm is anymore. Been in this grade for 5 years and performance grade is A/B.

Wow how did u get A/B almost yearly in geo5?
Any tips!

Unregistered 24-03-2023 04:37 PM

Hi I received two parent complaints in 3 months. Will I be given C-?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 04:51 PM

Geo 5a?

Hello! Anyone promoted to GEO 5A?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243580)

450 is overall increase. This officer got a great performance grade for the work year that he was considered for promotion. Either B or A.

This sort of increment in a promotion year seems to be the norm these days, even for major milestone promotions like GEO5 to SEO1.. the percentage bump in gross monthly salary is quite pathetic.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243616)
Based on last few pages of posts about how important networking is, perhaps he's a well-connected scholar favoured by SLs? Work wise probably outstanding enough too I guess?

Such fast promotions are now extremely rare though...If it's true of course

psc scholar. int hod now. entered as geo4 (promoted in 2021) SH in 2022, promoted to geo 5 in 2022, now seo1 (2023). Mad huh

Unregistered 24-03-2023 05:41 PM

Grade B n promoted to GEO 5...what would the increment be like?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 05:53 PM

Anyone who is promoted to GEO 5A or know someone who was? How much is the pay celling for that?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 05:56 PM

finally geo4! 12th year in service..

Unregistered 24-03-2023 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243623)
psc scholar. int hod now. entered as geo4 (promoted in 2021) SH in 2022, promoted to geo 5 in 2022, now seo1 (2023). Mad huh

Have a feeling it's my batchmate.

Your school is in the far west?

While the disparity between scholar and farmer is quite shocking, the person I have in mind seems to deserve it la.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243624)
Grade B n promoted to GEO 5...what would the increment be like?

Can share what’s your progression like?

Onto my 6th year as GEO4. Mostly C+, only recent year B - not promoted.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243618)
Wow how did u get A/B almost yearly in geo5?
Any tips!

Work at SEO level.

Hold a KP appointment and meet/exceed the expectations of that appointment. Then you will get consistent solid grades at GEO4 or GEO5, even if HR doesn't wanna promote you.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243629)
Can share what’s your progression like?

Onto my 6th year as GEO4. Mostly C+, only recent year B - not promoted.

Mine is in between 6th and 7th year. Mostly Cs too. You will probably get yours next year?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243628)

While the disparity between scholar and farmer is quite shocking, the person I have in mind seems to deserve it la.

indeed. Um, if being super vocal about everything and posting on social media about teaching at every opportunity is all it takes, surely more deserving people like those long suffering geo5s who are actually appointed as HODs deserve their seo1 more? how can u just be promoted 3 grades in 3 years? envious? yes, but talk about demotivation.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:01 PM

Really sian lah. 3 years in GEO5 and as a HOD.
No promotion and just kena suck dry by MOE to do work at two subgrades above, at lower pay.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:06 PM

mad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243628)

no it’s not mad. psc is high category of scholarship , they are nit given scholarship to be teacher la. it’s just a rite of passage to understand system. they will not even be P for long ; maybe one short term thats it. current dge was P at 33.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:07 PM

sian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243640)
No promotion and just kena suck dry by MOE to do work at two subgrades above, at lower pay.

quality of work not good la. u don’t show sufficient intellectual capabilities maybe.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243639)
indeed. Um, if being super vocal about everything and posting on social media about teaching at every opportunity is all it takes, surely more deserving people like those long suffering geo5s who are actually appointed as HODs deserve their seo1 more? how can u just be promoted 3 grades in 3 years? envious? yes, but talk about demotivation.

Yeah. It's ridiculous that confirmed management appointees are held back at non-management subgrades for years and years and "pacified" with a pathetic responsibility allowance.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:22 PM

sucked dry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243640)

are u in a primary school?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:23 PM

For promotion, is the only source currently from the P or RO? Any way to check from online as of now?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243641)
no it’s not mad. psc is high category of scholarship , they are nit given scholarship to be teacher la. it’s just a rite of passage to understand system. they will not even be P for long ; maybe one short term thats it. current dge was P at 33.

isnt thats wrong about the system? sure good a level results - sponsor their studies by all means. but promotions and appointments too?!

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243646)
For promotion, is the only source currently from the P or RO? Any way to check from online as of now?

Cannot be you are prompted but your SLs keep it as a secret right?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:35 PM

Ranking Discussion Leaked in one of the Primary Schools in Yishun

Today the Principal announced the officers who were promoted to the next substantive grade.

SOME of the officers who were promoted passed judgmental gossips about their colleagues, spreading very negative vibes in the staff room and were unprofessional. In fact, I myself witnessed these colleagues gossiping that their teammate, who was actually the one who always have their back and appreciate their contributions. So they also ended up thanking the wrong Middle Manager. What a joke!

Why are these officers promoted for their bad culture building? Is the ranking fair?

Worse of all, ranking was leaked last year. The school leaders did not hold an investigation at all.

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243649)
Today the Principal announced the officers who were promoted to the next substantive grade.

SOME of the officers who were promoted passed judgmental gossips about their colleagues, spreading very negative vibes in the staff room and were unprofessional. In fact, I myself witnessed these colleagues gossiping that their teammate, who was actually the one who always have their back and appreciate their contributions. So they also ended up thanking the wrong Middle Manager. What a joke!

Why are these officers promoted for their bad culture building? Is the ranking fair?

Worse of all, ranking was leaked last year. The school leaders did not hold an investigation at all.

SLs don't investigate, escalate to Supt, escalate to Schools Division and beyond. Give them 1x good one la, waiting for what?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243623)

This is the problem.

Clearly appraisals are not carried based on actual performance of the staff.

For someone to have this kind of trajectory, if really going by the book, his impact needs to be significantly greater than the rest, with A+++++ performance to justify consecutive promotions, whereas other A graders still take a few years to promote, if at all. There are so many GEO4s working in positions 2 levels above their paygrades, being SH or HOD even, and taking years to get promoted despite getting consistently good performance grades. This guy who get promoted every year better be working 4 levels higher.

Otherwise, it brings this question. Those at the top, are they really there because they are truly highly competent, the most competent?

Or are incompetent people pushed up at the expense of more competent people?

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243644)
Yeah. It's ridiculous that confirmed management appointees are held back at non-management subgrades for years and years and "pacified" with a pathetic responsibility allowance.

thats incredibly fast...3 years 3 grades

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243641)

Different times la, last time and now. Everyones talking about slowing progression, and we still see such ridiculous rate of promotion. well done HR

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:50 PM

It’s becoming the culture la. Who can stop them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243649)

Unregistered 24-03-2023 07:56 PM

Mostly likely when ranking discussions are leaked, competent staff will feel demotivated when they feel it is unfair. At the end of the day, the students' results will suffer... so the school academic results is one of the worse in Yishun? lol

Yishun is so happening