Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 12-05-2021 08:51 PM

I don't think it disadvantages you as far as qualifications go, but I do think it limits your understanding of the full nature of the job (as an MOE teacher).

If you're willing to provide an (throwaway?) email address on this (highly anonymous) forum 😂, I could probably help refer you to a colleague… EL teachers, even relief ones, are pretty highly in demand!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168474)
icame from an international school and did ib instead of going down the mainstream education path. i’m quite afraid this might disadvantage me, but i do think EL skills are transferable, no matter the curriculum.

thank you, again!

Unregistered 13-05-2021 09:59 AM

To the seniors and experienced people here...When declaring investments, which ones need to be declared specifically?

What's an unlisted business?

Does STI ETF count?

What about overseas ETFs? US? China?

Buying through brokers? Banks? Roboadvisors?

Unregistered 13-05-2021 02:07 PM

Think there's a document that details it. But pretty much everything you've listed doesn't need to be declared (publicly traded shares etc.)

Unlisted businesses would be like private businesses that are not listed on a stock exchange, e.g. if you have a stake in a family business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168603)
To the seniors and experienced people here...When declaring investments, which ones need to be declared specifically?

Does STI ETF count?

Unregistered 13-05-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168603)

Does STI ETF count?

You only need to declare any holdings in private companies. If you buy and own anything public listed, anything that is traded on stock markets, you don't need to declare those.

Unregistered 13-05-2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168307)
hello, everyone! just asking for some career advice.

i am currently a local law undergraduate who has secured a training contract and will be called to bar if i pass my part b bar exam safely. i will probably be getting a second upper. however, i feel like law is not my calling.

i’ve gone through several teaching experiences in my school life, giving tuition, teaching school kids about the law, and teaching underprivileged kids in developing countries on charity trips. i enjoy teaching and wish to enter moe to teach english/GP.

is there any advice to a newbie making a career switch like this into teaching? how does the career compare to law? i hope to achieve a bit more work-life balance and stability in teaching. how were the interviews and pgde in general, in terms of intensity and difficulty? also, is there a glut of teachers right now, much like in law?

thank you in advance!

It's great you have a desire to teach, and that is a vital starting point for anyone considering teaching I think. But what most people looking at teaching from the other side of the school fence don't see is the enormous amount of responsibilities that come with it. On any given day, you may find yourself juggling any or all of the following tasks: discipline issues in your form class, CCA planning and execution, committee work (most teachers are in 2 committees), department duties (English teacher? Have fun planning/executing/ conducting oral exams), ad-hoc projects, setting and vetting of exam papers, marking marking marking marking marking, professional learning team projects (every department has one of these).. and other administrative duties.

And if you thought that was all, remember, you still need to plan and run highly engaging lessons for multiple classes on a daily basis for your students.. while paying attention to individual student needs and wellbeing :)

It is doable, but it won't be easy at all. But very rewarding work though.

Unregistered 14-05-2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168511)
Yes the language skills are transferable. What could be challenging is build strong teacher-student relationships and understanding the background of students dissimilar to the teacher. While you should be getting more sleep as a teacher, remember that working hours start earlier but don't necessarily end earlier. On CCA days, not unimaginable for a teacher to be in school for 12 hours (6am-6pm) with just a few breaks in between to catch a breather. To be honest, time-for-money wise, the lawyer route probably makes more sense given that you're already halfway there.

I completely understand where you're coming from, it takes a certain level of empathy and putting oneself in the students' shoes to effectively guide them. I do think that the relief teaching scheme might be a good way for me to get a feel of how things are run in MOE schools; will definitely try that out once COVID lets up.

12-hour days do sound much better than whatever law has going for it, but it is a good consideration I'll keep in mind. The time-for-money clock starts ticking maybe three years into legal practice, but the legal market is so terrifyingly bad and the competition is extremely stiff, and I honestly see myself being eliminated too soon in the game, especially when my head/ passion is not entirely in it. Thank you again for all the pointers! Really helped me look at this alternative career path in a panoramic way.

Unregistered 14-05-2021 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168556)
I don't think it disadvantages you as far as qualifications go, but I do think it limits your understanding of the full nature of the job (as an MOE teacher).

If you're willing to provide an (throwaway?) email address on this (highly anonymous) forum 😂, I could probably help refer you to a colleague… EL teachers, even relief ones, are pretty highly in demand!

Yes, I completely understand! There might be a barrier to understanding what students under the MOE system go through in their education.

Thank you so much for the offer! I'd definitely take you up on this. I created a throwaway email address: [email protected]. I'd really appreciate if you could refer me to a colleague so I can gain better understanding on a career as a teacher 😊 it's great to know EL teachers are in demand!

Unregistered 14-05-2021 11:48 PM

i got C grade and during review, my RO say she can push me for internal SH appointment (if im interested), so that can secure better ranking in the future. Is it worth to take it since internal appointments are "fake"?

Unregistered 14-05-2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168660)
It's great you have a desire to teach, and that is a vital starting point for anyone considering teaching I think. But what most people looking at teaching from the other side of the school fence don't see is the enormous amount of responsibilities that come with it. On any given day, you may find yourself juggling any or all of the following tasks: discipline issues in your form class, CCA planning and execution, committee work (most teachers are in 2 committees), department duties (English teacher? Have fun planning/executing/ conducting oral exams), ad-hoc projects, setting and vetting of exam papers, marking marking marking marking marking, professional learning team projects (every department has one of these).. and other administrative duties.

And if you thought that was all, remember, you still need to plan and run highly engaging lessons for multiple classes on a daily basis for your students.. while paying attention to individual student needs and wellbeing :)

It is doable, but it won't be easy at all. But very rewarding work though.

Thank you for this insightful answer! Wow, I didn't know that teachers have such a heavy load on their shoulders, makes me respect mine even more 😊 A lot of work sounds administrative in nature, definitely something I expected to come with the job, and this list you provided does sound like a challenge to juggle. Oral exams were a nightmare not just for the students, but for the teachers too, huh? 🥴

This was a great picture you painted about the multi-faceted professional life of a teacher. I definitely realise it isn't a bed of roses, and that the role of an educator comes with a set of many struggles, too.

There is one thing I am curious about, though. Does promotion to HOD or higher-level positions stem from a teacher's ability to balance many fringe projects on his/ her plate? Since engagement and quality of teaching might be hard to directly quantify, I have this doubt about how one climbs up the career ladder in education.

Unregistered 15-05-2021 12:23 AM

Does Honour class play a part in CEP? Always had an impression it only affects starting pay.

Joined in 2015, 2nd lower but with NS, got GEO4 this year. Part of the school's internal COVID task force for HBL, social distancing etc since 2020. Also part of school NE committee. So I am involved when it comes to NDP concert, civil defence day, that sort of stuff.. Gotten C, B, B for the past 3 years.

My colleague, non scholar, female, but 1st class, joined in 2016, got GEO4 last year. She claimed she had B only once and it was not recent and gotten C- last year. In fact, she doesn't even have any committee assignments last year, so even she herself was surprised about the promotion.

Feeling about salty about it, considering I served NS. I am wondering if it's because of the difference in Honours that had an impact on her promotion time frame and CEP or she's just a lucky chap?

Unregistered 15-05-2021 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168831)
Does Honour class play a part in CEP? Always had an impression it only affects starting pay.

Joined in 2015, 2nd lower but with NS, got GEO4 this year. Part of the school's internal COVID task force for HBL, social distancing etc since 2020. Also part of school NE committee. So I am involved when it comes to NDP concert, civil defence day, that sort of stuff.. Gotten C, B, B for the past 3 years.

My colleague, non scholar, female, but 1st class, joined in 2016, got GEO4 last year. She claimed she had B only once and it was not recent and gotten C- last year. In fact, she doesn't even have any committee assignments last year, so even she herself was surprised about the promotion.

Feeling about salty about it, considering I served NS. I am wondering if it's because of the difference in Honours that had an impact on her promotion time frame and CEP or she's just a lucky chap?

it's C+ not C-. typo

Unregistered 15-05-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

They dont say it, but i thought its kinda obvious honours play a part in CEP?

Unregistered 15-05-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168906)
They dont say it, but i thought its kinda obvious honours play a part in CEP?

Principal mentioned before that honours does play a part

Unregistered 16-05-2021 02:26 AM

Quote:

P has the biggest role to play, which makes the system so flawed. Some may look at honours and whether you're a scholar. Some may choose to focus on holistic performance, while others may value specific areas of work, or nitpick at one area and use it as a basis to determine CEP. Who knows?

Unregistered 17-05-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168823)
i got C grade and during review, my RO say she can push me for internal SH appointment (if im interested), so that can secure better ranking in the future. Is it worth to take it since internal appointments are "fake"?

How is internal appointment "fake"? One has to be internally appointed to know more about the role first. After spending about a year or two, then you can talk to your school about going for interview.

If you want to get a better PB grade, I'd say, just go for it. By accepting the role, you are already doing alot more compared to your peers of the same scale.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169168)
How is internal appointment "fake"? One has to be internally appointed to know more about the role first. After spending about a year or two, then you can talk to your school about going for interview.

If you want to get a better PB grade, I'd say, just go for it. By accepting the role, you are already doing alot more compared to your peers of the same scale.

Not true. I have seen others getting directly appointed without any prior internal appointments.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Wah you think u done NS very big? Newsflash, you already started with a few hundred dollars more with your NS accounted for, now you still want NS to be a reason to accelerate your promotion?

Talk about being entitled.

And please, if by now you still dont know class of HONOURs plays a part in career progression by now and nothing you would ever do at work can accelerate your promotion, all i can say to you is you deserve to be lowballed for the rest of your life as a teacher. Too late to escape now lol.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168821)
Yes, I completely understand! There might be a barrier to understanding what students under the MOE system go through in their education.

Thank you so much for the offer! I'd definitely take you up on this. I created a throwaway email address: [email protected]. I'd really appreciate if you could refer me to a colleague so I can gain better understanding on a career as a teacher 😊 it's great to know EL teachers are in demand!

I’m a former EL teacher. I would strongly encourage you to join another sector, other than law there are many other places which you could consider. Please think very carefully before making this jump. Teaching is more than the act of teaching itself. If you talk to young EL teachers, those who had done well in uni and had other better options and somehow chose to join teaching, if you are close enough to them, you may get a better understanding of the full picture - beyond the job role (ie dealing with non job factors that are much more crucial in career progression. I can’t say much, but just think about the typical mindset of a principal, that’s a good hint.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169176)
Not true. I have seen others getting directly appointed without any prior internal appointments.

This is possible, but you will need to be prepared for it in some other way, for example being coached by a KP or SL. It's harder to clear the interview without having some firsthand experience working the role, because the interview will zoom in on your knowledge of the role profile and jobscope (some will call this "role clarity"), among other things.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Yes, I agree that one should not take up internal appointments. Just ask to be put up for interview if they think you are suitable. There’s a lot of additional work but as an internal appointment holder, you are not entitled to ‘reduced’ teaching workload and you do not get extra remuneration for holding the appointment. (If you are not SEO1).

Unregistered 17-05-2021 08:29 PM

Anyone has a rough idea of the expected progression for the annual salary package (base + bonus) for an MOE teacher over the years based on number of years of experience??

Thank you!

Unregistered 17-05-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Generally depends on the School Leaders (esp. the P). If you've seen it done at your school, then yes you are getting a rawer deal.

But as someone shared earlier - if you're looking for a chance to prove yourself without changing school, this is probably it. If you last got C (not even C+), don't think it's realistic to expect immediate appointment. If you're willing to work harder for a chance to shine, go ahead! If not… well, plenty of people find happiness as HOTs, too!

Unregistered 23-05-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168824)
Thank you for this insightful answer! Wow, I didn't know that teachers have such a heavy load on their shoulders, makes me respect mine even more 😊 A lot of work sounds administrative in nature, definitely something I expected to come with the job, and this list you provided does sound like a challenge to juggle. Oral exams were a nightmare not just for the students, but for the teachers too, huh? 🥴

This was a great picture you painted about the multi-faceted professional life of a teacher. I definitely realise it isn't a bed of roses, and that the role of an educator comes with a set of many struggles, too.

There is one thing I am curious about, though. Does promotion to HOD or higher-level positions stem from a teacher's ability to balance many fringe projects on his/ her plate? Since engagement and quality of teaching might be hard to directly quantify, I have this doubt about how one climbs up the career ladder in education.

I just saw this.. I think a SH or HOD would be able to give you a clearer answer of what promotion to the position entails, but based on my limited understanding, you would need to have demonstrated the necessary competencies and dispositions first before appointment to the role.

SH/HOD do teach, but their role is primarily managerial. Teaching well is a baseline expectation for all teachers. For heads, you'd also have to be able to drive department AND school-level policies, projects and processes to ensure alignment of programmes and results to the school's strategic thrusts. Also you need to be good at managing those who work under you, so good interpersonal skills are vital for heads. Teaching has very little to do directly with whether you would make a good SH/HOD, although good teaching does inform good practices and processes.

But dont take my word for it.. ask an actual head :)

Unregistered 23-05-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169237)
Anyone has a rough idea of the expected progression for the annual salary package (base + bonus) for an MOE teacher over the years based on number of years of experience??

Thank you!

Dun count your chickens before they are hatched. A scholar once asked how many years to be seo. Then ended up, the scholar kena stucked at geo 2 when the scholar left teaching after the 4 years bond was over.

Unregistered 24-05-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170142)
Dun count your chickens before they are hatched. A scholar once asked how many years to be seo. Then ended up, the scholar kena stucked at geo 2 when the scholar left teaching after the 4 years bond was over.

Stuck at geo2? Sure bo? Anyhow also will get cohort promotion to geo3 leh.

Unregistered 24-05-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170215)
Stuck at geo2? Sure bo? Anyhow also will get cohort promotion to geo3 leh.

Cohort promotion is valid only if your performance is at least default grade C.

Unregistered 24-05-2021 08:16 PM

I miss teaching badly

I enjoy working with the students and I miss teaching them badly

Unregistered 24-05-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170328)
Cohort promotion is valid only if your performance is at least default grade C.

How s&&t do you have to be to manage to get a scholarship but not even be able to meet the minimum performance level to get a C grade at GEO2? I find it quite hard to believe.

Unless the scholar committed serious professional misconduct with students or with finance related stuff. Then I don't think they should be compared with below-avg performing teachers (but still good enough to meet the minimum requirements of the job).

Unregistered 25-05-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170334)
I enjoy working with the students and I miss teaching them badly

Sometimes the problems don't come from the students but from the fellow colleagues. Former teachers I knew left the profession because of their schools.

Unregistered 26-05-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170344)
How s&&t do you have to be to manage to get a scholarship but not even be able to meet the minimum performance level to get a C grade at GEO2? I find it quite hard to believe.

Unless the scholar committed serious professional misconduct with students or with finance related stuff. Then I don't think they should be compared with below-avg performing teachers (but still good enough to meet the minimum requirements of the job).

Not all scholars are good. You find it hard to believe but there are really cases.. Serious misconduct would mean immediate suspension and dismissal from service already.

Unregistered 26-05-2021 08:12 AM

Spent 5 years teaching at Pathlight school before becoming a lecturer at SIM university. Felt really good connecting with my previous students :D

Unregistered 26-05-2021 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170607)
Spent 5 years teaching at Pathlight school before becoming a lecturer at SIM university. Felt really good connecting with my previous students :D

How are the career prospects like teaching at Pathlight and lecturing at SIM?

Unregistered 26-05-2021 07:28 PM

what can a teacher do after he/she leave the service?

im thinking of resigning end of the year. but realised that im stuck with no transferable skills or education background.

v depressing

Unregistered 26-05-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170698)

im thinking of resigning end of the year. but realised that im stuck with no transferable skills or education background.

v depressing

How about considering open posting? New school, new environment. Or new role like student welfare officer etc?? HQ posting which has more regular hours?

Unregistered 26-05-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170698)

v depressing

Teach tuition.

Unregistered 26-05-2021 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170676)
How are the career prospects like teaching at Pathlight and lecturing at SIM?

Far, far better than the career prospects of the 'students' attending those schools. Although admittedly, that's not a very high bar to surpass.

Unregistered 26-05-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169192)
Wah you think u done NS very big? Newsflash, you already started with a few hundred dollars more with your NS accounted for, now you still want NS to be a reason to accelerate your promotion?

Talk about being entitled.

And please, if by now you still dont know class of HONOURs plays a part in career progression by now and nothing you would ever do at work can accelerate your promotion, all i can say to you is you deserve to be lowballed for the rest of your life as a teacher. Too late to escape now lol.

Don't be rude la! HONOURS does NOT play a part in starting CEP. Yes, good honours gives a higher starting pay and more visibility by higher ups, but that's about it. Your CEP is determined by yourself unless you are a scholar.

Unregistered 27-05-2021 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170759)
Don't be rude la! HONOURS does NOT play a part in starting CEP. Yes, good honours gives a higher starting pay and more visibility by higher ups, but that's about it. Your CEP is determined by yourself unless you are a scholar.

The scholarship must at least be at MOE Education Scholar and above like PSC, else its not guaranteed. Seen MOE teaching scholarships and awards ended up cmi and left service.

Unregistered 27-05-2021 08:48 PM

I'm currently a SEO2 in HQ. I was formerly a HOD, applied for AD post in HQ. My appointment was redesignated as "senior assistant director" as was promoted during my stint in HQ. If I were to be posted back to school, will it be a VP or HOD appointment? I know there's an interview for VP candidates but I have not been called for any interview yet. Thanks!

Unregistered 27-05-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170877)
I'm currently a SEO2 in HQ. I was formerly a HOD, applied for AD post in HQ. My appointment was redesignated as "senior assistant director" as was promoted during my stint in HQ. If I were to be posted back to school, will it be a VP or HOD appointment? I know there's an interview for VP candidates but I have not been called for any interview yet. Thanks!

For you to hit SEO 2, it means the potential is there. May I ask if you are in your late 30s or early 40s? I have 2 friends who were identified as VPs potential, they were invited for tea sessions, the one in the late 30s turned down the offer to be VP, the one in early 40s cleared the VP interview but at this moment, the vacancies for VPs are hard to come by with the merging of schools. As such the one who cleared the VP tea session interview was told to wait or be deployed to HQ. He is doing VP work in his school as VP3.