Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 21-03-2023 09:18 PM

One month notice is sufficient I supposed

Unregistered 21-03-2023 09:26 PM

Who have received promotee email? :)

Unregistered 21-03-2023 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243320)
Quite sure many here have faced this issue before, so asking for some solutions here.

Anyone's department had a few people leaving at once before? So from what I know, a few have already informed P they are resigning by the end of Sem 1, but there is still no news of any incoming replacements, regardless of whether it's a BT or experienced officer. These are also resignations, not transferring to other places, so P cannot block.

FAJT quota in the school is already completely filled up by other departments which are also severely lacking manpower.

Worst case will be for the remaining officers in the department, KPs included, to be overwhelmed and timetables totally redone until some new manpower becomes available, which is something everyone hopes to avoid.

Don't worry. Management can perform magic.

The 2 words 'school needs' is very powerful.

Can mobilise the existing teachers and activate those with CS2 in the subject, even if they have never taught it since NIE days 20 years ago.

Unregistered 21-03-2023 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243332)
Who have received promotee email? :)

Not me. It seems like it hasn't been announced.

Unregistered 21-03-2023 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243213)
This is probably the fastest rate of promotion for males these days already.
Year 1 to 2 - school
Year 3 to 4 - hq (Get geo4 in 4th year)
Year 5 to 6 - SH
Year 7 - HOD Int

There was a period where the majority of second year HQ staff scholars did not get their GEO4. So either they extend in HQ or go for secondment and wait for that promotion or go back to school as normal teachers. Many eventually decided to convert to MX or left service altogether. The opportunities are no longer as comparable to 10 years ago. And the value proposition of being in school has dropped since COVID for people with more versatile skill sets.

Unregistered 21-03-2023 11:59 PM

Whatever you do, do not go for cross level deployment. I paid a very heavy price for it through my PB. The problem is always the SL. The HR side can say how accommodating they will be, DGE can come in etc and double down on how nurturing they will be but trust me, really not the case. I went for a 50 hours training in a subject which is neither my CS1 nor CS2 in Secondary - hence now I have a CS3. My expectation was that I need to be on par with someone who has taught that subject for the last 25 years. Really crazy. My RO was not helpful nor nurturing as she was just promoted and my SLs were simply too stuck in their preferred way of working aka their way or the highway.

SSES was really bad, about 8 to 9% of the staff members left. I am one of them. I am really happy to be away from the toxicity of that school. However, with the latest PB grade, it will cause my career to become stagnant. It does not matter if you are doing one grade up or otherwise, if your SLs are biased to begin with, you won’t go far. If they love you and have lunches, dinners, shopping trips with you on a personal basis, you will become a HOD after 5 years in service from a GEO3. With the majority of the SMC members being their reportees, it is not difficult to get support for poor grades to be dished to those who left.

It is too late for me but let my path be a warning to those who are thinking. Don’t! In my class of 30 cross level deployed trainees, less than 5 are still in the cross level deployed schools in 3 years. It will come with a high personal cost.

Unregistered 22-03-2023 12:45 AM

You went from JC to Sec or Sec to Pri?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243352)
Whatever you do, do not go for cross level deployment. I paid a very heavy price for it through my PB. The problem is always the SL. The HR side can say how accommodating they will be, DGE can come in etc and double down on how nurturing they will be but trust me, really not the case. I went for a 50 hours training in a subject which is neither my CS1 nor CS2 in Secondary - hence now I have a CS3. My expectation was that I need to be on par with someone who has taught that subject for the last 25 years. Really crazy. My RO was not helpful nor nurturing as she was just promoted and my SLs were simply too stuck in their preferred way of working aka their way or the highway.

SSES was really bad, about 8 to 9% of the staff members left. I am one of them. I am really happy to be away from the toxicity of that school. However, with the latest PB grade, it will cause my career to become stagnant. It does not matter if you are doing one grade up or otherwise, if your SLs are biased to begin with, you won’t go far. If they love you and have lunches, dinners, shopping trips with you on a personal basis, you will become a HOD after 5 years in service from a GEO3. With the majority of the SMC members being their reportees, it is not difficult to get support for poor grades to be dished to those who left.

It is too late for me but let my path be a warning to those who are thinking. Don’t! In my class of 30 cross level deployed trainees, less than 5 are still in the cross level deployed schools in 3 years. It will come with a high personal cost.

Unregistered 22-03-2023 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243337)
Not me. It seems like it hasn't been announced.

Nothing yet too.

Unregistered 22-03-2023 07:34 AM

Also intend to leave the system soon. Have been in the system for around 12 years.

Just feel that it’s really out dated for us to keep doing the same thing for our whole career. Humans are naturally resistant to change but as a non KP, it’s likely that we will be stagnant after the initial few years.

Guess those who can sense the end game earlier will cut losses and exit the education sector. I know many who have commitments won’t. Wonder how this can be good for our education system when we are only left with those who concluded they cannot so well outside, stay.

Quote:

Unregistered 22-03-2023 08:23 AM

Quote:

Oh dear. This sounds terrible.