Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 20-03-2023 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjayell (Post 243133)
Unfortunately as previous posters have said, opportunities do depend on school manageable or your RO. Otherwise really need to find your own opportunities. Can always change school to find better opportunities.

I disagree however with dissing and discounting the value of sharings.

As for creation of quality teaching materials, yes perhaps that's sufficient impact for GEO2 & GEO3s, but for GEO4s & GEO5s its assumed to be done.

despite what u and many posters have mentioned, its not so easy to be able to "can always change school to find better opportunities"

i know of people who have been trying for years to transfer out simply coz of location, but fail everytime due to "excess headcount". also know of people who kena blocked from transferring or leaving coz school got shortage.

unless u are saying, be despo enough to change to whatever dumping ground is available e.g. random closed posting or do cross level deployment all the way till kindergarten

Unregistered 20-03-2023 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243201)
I agree with you about the scholars. Many people here say that "oh during ranking KPs will be fair", but that's not always the same across all schools.

However, your batch was already quite lucky to have made it to HOD levels. If you look at the younger officers, their chances are now even slimmer, especially for non scholars. In fact, it's hard to even get CONSISTENT A and B grades for non scholars.

Yes, totally not easy these days. I know of a high performing psc scholar. 3rd posting, SH confirmed, but HOD Int now. Gone are the days when people, scholar or not, can just jump straight to HOD after a couple of years as a BT

Unregistered 20-03-2023 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243204)
Yes, totally not easy these days. I know of a high performing psc scholar. 3rd posting, SH confirmed, but HOD Int now. Gone are the days when people, scholar or not, can just jump straight to HOD after a couple of years as a BT

This is probably the fastest rate of promotion for males these days already.
Year 1 to 2 - school
Year 3 to 4 - hq (Get geo4 in 4th year)
Year 5 to 6 - SH
Year 7 - HOD Int

Unregistered 20-03-2023 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243213)
This is probably the fastest rate of promotion for males these days already.
Year 1 to 2 - school
Year 3 to 4 - hq (Get geo4 in 4th year)
Year 5 to 6 - SH
Year 7 - HOD Int

if this is only for high performing psc, then that's like what, less than 3% of a cohort? gosh

the rest maybe need twice or thrice the amount of time? wait for 15-20 years huh

Unregistered 20-03-2023 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243202)
despite what u and many posters have mentioned, its not so easy to be able to "can always change school to find better opportunities"

i know of people who have been trying for years to transfer out simply coz of location, but fail everytime due to "excess headcount". also know of people who kena blocked from transferring or leaving coz school got shortage.

unless u are saying, be despo enough to change to whatever dumping ground is available e.g. random closed posting or do cross level deployment all the way till kindergarten

Open posting is fair. You cannot be blocked from leaving if you clear the interview. Only closed posting can be “blocked”. Don’t believe, ask HR.

Unregistered 20-03-2023 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243214)
if this is only for high performing psc, then that's like what, less than 3% of a cohort? gosh

the rest maybe need twice or thrice the amount of time? wait for 15-20 years huh

Even PSC scholar also need to be GEO4 to be an appointed SH LOL. By this calculation, even GEO4 by year 4 is probably considered the fastest. Also take note that this is probably for PSC scholars (education). Those with dual ministry or admin track of course will be rotated to other ministries.

Well other regular farmers could enjoy an equally fast rate of promotion if opportunies happen to rise in the school (e.g. you’re a 2 year old SH when your HOD decides to leave)

Unregistered 20-03-2023 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243223)
Even PSC scholar also need to be GEO4 to be an appointed SH LOL. By this calculation, even GEO4 by year 4 is probably considered the fastest. Also take note that this is probably for PSC scholars (education). Those with dual ministry or admin track of course will be rotated to other ministries.

Well other regular farmers could enjoy an equally fast rate of promotion if opportunies happen to rise in the school (e.g. you’re a 2 year old SH when your HOD decides to leave)

My school had a teaching award holder get GEO4 in year 4 (NSman). It's not exclusive to PSC scholars.

Unregistered 21-03-2023 12:28 AM

Quote:

Not true, friend of mine is a farmer with Dip Ed cert, no degree qualification
year 4: GEO 4
year 5: SH GEO5
year 7: HOD
Year 9: SEO1

Unregistered 21-03-2023 12:43 AM

Quote:

Given that default CEP for teachers is GEO5, 15-20 years is not unlikely.

Unregistered 21-03-2023 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243220)
Open posting is fair. You cannot be blocked from leaving if you clear the interview. Only closed posting can be “blocked”. Don’t believe, ask HR.

Not true. Have personally seen cases where posting got blocked due to teacher shortage.