Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 09-10-2022 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232318)
Get c- got wad impact??

means ur below below avg

Unregistered 09-10-2022 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232319)
Can we ask our RO about our performance grade at the end of the year? Or is it supposed to be a secret until the following year March? Asked my RO before n she just said I am not supposed to tell yet seems like so many here could get to know by end of the year...

There is no such thing as cannot say. But I know some management has the practice of not telling you your grade unless you get C- and below because it is mandatory by HR for such officers to know their grades on the principle of no surprise. You can always ask your P why your RO does not want to let you know your grade. After all, if we have always been teaching students to ask questions, we as teachers should not be afraid to question.

Unregistered 09-10-2022 09:05 PM

YOE Monthly base
0-1 Year $3,775
1-3 Years $4,258
4-6 Years $5,000
7-9 Years $5,833
10-14 Years $6,300

Hi all, is the above accurate based on articles online? If so, i am quite surprised because the figures seem on a rather low side. GEO5 i thought can earn around 7k?

randymarshh 09-10-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232286)
Just tell him the truth using the sh*t sandwich strategy:

1. Highlight the strengths in his current areas of work - e.g., dependable, able to do what he was assigned independently, etc

2. Share the key factors that were considered in the ranking appraisal process and where he stood relative to others of his substantive grade. Tell him his grade. Highlight the areas which he needs to do more/showcase more so that he has a chance of an improved grade next year.

3. Seek his views/validate his feelings of the news. Ask what else you could support him further as his RO in his work.

Thanks a lot, I think this is very useful in communicating this rather unpleasant piece of news to him. I am sure he will kick up a fuss but this should lessen the unhappiness a bit.

randymarshh 09-10-2022 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232312)
Regarding point 2 about sharing how a JH has performed compared to the other officers in the same subgrade, I would advise you against doing so. Focus on your officer and the impact of his/ her work instead. I dislike hearing statements made by RO saying one has done well, but not as well as the others. It creates unnecessary/unwanted rilvary and negative feelings among colleagues.

Understood, as much as he doesn’t like to hear it, I think we should focus on his inadequacy and how he can improve on his part. I am definitely not going to mention the other teachers in the department.

randymarshh 09-10-2022 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232313)
You will have to take responsibility for that too. Given that geo 5 is the highest subgrade an officer with no appointment can go to (5A is still an unknown), you will need to set good targets by making reference to KRA. Don’t settle for the bare minimal, because we know that it is not enough. At the same time, ensure that you JH’s T&L is very strong and takes on mentoring role.

With regard to breaking the news to him, be frank. Highlight the points and focus on what he could work on moving forward. Your JH might also be concerned about the impacts that a C- grade has on him. So be clear about that.

At the start of the year, we did discuss on the KRAs and expectations of him, gave him opportunities to run school wide event and also participate in cluster AR. Unfortunately, he is the type to do just enough and I encouraged him to go further, but he will give me excuses like he is taking O level classes, no point in doing that, students not interested etc. Haiz, I should have been more firm.

Unregistered 09-10-2022 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randymarshh (Post 232346)
At the start of the year, we did discuss on the KRAs and expectations of him, gave him opportunities to run school wide event and also participate in cluster AR. Unfortunately, he is the type to do just enough and I encouraged him to go further, but he will give me excuses like he is taking O level classes, no point in doing that, students not interested etc. Haiz, I should have been more firm.

If indeed you offered opportunities, and he did not take it up, then he has to take responsibility.

Unregistered 09-10-2022 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232329)
There is no such thing as cannot say. But I know some management has the practice of not telling you your grade unless you get C- and below because it is mandatory by HR for such officers to know their grades on the principle of no surprise. You can always ask your P why your RO does not want to let you know your grade. After all, if we have always been teaching students to ask questions, we as teachers should not be afraid to question.

Hmm I avoid revealing the grade beforehand for the simple reason that, even as KP, the grade I'm aware of might not be the final grade received by the officer in April. It doesn't happen often, but it's not entirely impossible - have seen it happen before.

Probably nothing wrong with asking for general directions (e.g. overall how you're doing; how to improve). Knowing the exact grade before April, other than perhaps providing some advance financial planning, doesn't really provide much additional benefit, does it?

Unregistered 10-10-2022 08:53 AM

Has anyone ever reached out to mental health assistance? How did you initiate such conversations with your RO or P? I've taught for 12 years but this is the worst I've ever been.

It's not the workload or that I'm not recognised for what I do. It's me. I feel like I'm a terrible teacher and I worry that I teach my students wrongly even if there isn't anything that suggests so.

I don't know where to start and how to speak to my superiors.

Unregistered 10-10-2022 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232367)
Has anyone ever reached out to mental health assistance? How did you initiate such conversations with your RO or P? I've taught for 12 years but this is the worst I've ever been.

It's not the workload or that I'm not recognised for what I do. It's me. I feel like I'm a terrible teacher and I worry that I teach my students wrongly even if there isn't anything that suggests so.

I don't know where to start and how to speak to my superiors.

Ask the professionals.