Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 01-10-2022 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231750)
Mouth.
Whiteboard.
Email

1st year of teaching I gave out my number to have open comms with parents. Coz I rather they go through me than to my SLs. BIG MISTAKE. Even with boundaries made clear, some kuku parents still message AND expect a prompt reply after hours. Worse still, I became a messenger for them. Whatever they forgot to tell that kid that morning, they tell me to tell them. Worse still got parents expect me to reply to her to confirm that I passed her message to her son. One kind one.

Now I don't bother. Any homework or reminders, whiteboard & student diary are enough. It teaches kids responsibility as well. You never write, too bad. Go sort it out yourself or ask your classmates. Parents can only contact me via email. Email as a medium is still formal, so a lot of thought has to be put in by the parents before they send it. Hence, if they send, it's usually urgent or important.

Unregistered 01-10-2022 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231743)
Just wondering how you pass information to your students if you don’t have a WA chatgroup with them

You can't tell them in class?

You give a lot of last-minute instructions?

Unregistered 02-10-2022 12:32 AM

Kp interview

Hi all, just wana check if any KPs here who went for interview,

- how long do you have to wait till you get your results (pass or fail)
- any bond or agreements to uphold? Or you can just quit after interview even haha

Unregistered 02-10-2022 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231757)

- any bond or agreements to uphold? Or you can just quit after interview even haha

Don't remember the answer to the first (I don't recall it taking very long - might be the day itself or after), but you're expected to stay with the school for 3 years after appointment (unless posted elsewhere by MOE). This only applies if you stay in service - no bond to the organisation as a whole.

Unregistered 02-10-2022 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231717)
I feel you. I’ve gotten A for the last three years and the increment was peanuts. As an appointed HOD, I am still at geo 5, 4 years and counting. The 5% increment is another blow. While the non-appointment holders have geo 5A to cushion the cruel decision, KPs at geo 5 can only swallow it.

Be optimistic. Your pay raise as Geo5 cum Hod, is in the form of A performance bonus.

And, as Hod, you do enjoy power :)
Hod, can know and do ranking for up to SEO1 people, ie the SH/LH/ST/AYH.

Unregistered 02-10-2022 08:18 AM

salary revision letter is out. Check how much is your increment.

Unregistered 02-10-2022 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231757)

You will usually know the results on the day of the KP interview.
After official appointment in the same sch, you need to stay in the school for 2 years before you can apply for OPE/PDL etc. If you are appointed in a different school through OPE, then you will need to stay in the school for 3 years.

Unregistered 02-10-2022 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231764)
salary revision letter is out. Check how much is your increment.

5% for GEO, 10% for SEO

Unregistered 02-10-2022 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231741)
How many years have you been teaching. 4 years seems to be pretty long for you to be in GEO5

I thought so too, this is my 11th year.

Unregistered 02-10-2022 11:36 AM

Hi! May I ask how much allowance is a subject head or level hear getting per month?