Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 26-04-2022 05:44 PM

career planning

For those straddling two departments, is it unlikely that they’ll ever be appointed SH of their main department? My first subject is a humanities.. my second is music. I can’t help but feel like it’s really difficult to invest as much in the humanities department as my other peers because I also have responsibilities in the other department. It would make sense to give leadership roles to those who teach 2 subjects in the that particular department.

Unregistered 26-04-2022 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215675)
10 yoe n already 7k to 8k is possible, if the teacher is earmarked for hod or vp or p. Most of such teachers are already at seo 1 level. But they are not the majority for sure.

similarly 5.5-6k with 5yoe are usually those type who are earmarked for hod or vp.

agree with u that most teachers with 10yoe will probably be at geo 4 which means around 5k to 6k only

Exactly. The average EO is a teacher. Not a KP. So the average salaries drawn are lower than what is being posted in the recent comments.

Of course, the average teacher is the backbone of the education system and every one is important.

Unregistered 26-04-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbie12345 (Post 215694)
Hi, I'm new to the service.. Was wondering if the type of committees we are assigned to has a large bearing on our eventual progression/CEP? Are there committees that are viewed more favourably than others? or does our contribution to those committees matter more than the type of committees we are in?

This is kinda hard to answer politically correctly, but the most accurate answer is the committee that is most visible to the most influential and outspoken HODs or SLs on the panel. It doesn't matter what exactly the committee or nature of work is.. as long as it's respected, recognised and valued by the most influential members of the panel in your school.

The sort of politically correct answer is: look for stuff that has wide-reaching impact. Work that benefits the whole school population, or work that benefits staff and is very visible (e.g. SWC or PD committee), or work that has easily measurable outcomes in order for you to be able to show clear data on progress and results.

Unregistered 26-04-2022 07:55 PM

tried 4 virgin students from my JC various classes and 1 of them recently got pregnant. As a teacher what should I do, should I let my principal know?

the only thing to count myself lucky is they are all not underage

Unregistered 26-04-2022 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215759)
tried 4 virgin students from my JC various classes and 1 of them recently got pregnant. As a teacher what should I do, should I let my principal know?

the only thing to count myself lucky is they are all not underage

Hahaha funny leh. You can gtfo and doxx yourself on EDMW and prepare extra underwear for your kopi session at cantonment.

Damn jlb troll. Eat full nothing better to do ah

Unregistered 26-04-2022 08:44 PM

Could I ask if it is a norm to be appointed internally for a year before getting appointed as a SH? Newly promoted to GEO4 and I felt disappointed that I've to wait two years just to be appointed. It had seemed that my progression had been fast with 2 years just in GEO3. At this rate, I think i might just apply out for open posting.

Unregistered 26-04-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215772)
Could I ask if it is a norm to be appointed internally for a year before getting appointed as a SH? Newly promoted to GEO4 and I felt disappointed that I've to wait two years just to be appointed. It had seemed that my progression had been fast with 2 years just in GEO3. At this rate, I think i might just apply out for open posting.

It's neither a requirement nor a norm. You can grow into the role while holding the full appointment. You don't necessarily have to already be good at the job to be given the title.

Internal appointments these days are mainly used to give GEO3s some exposure to the job before they get promoted to GEO4 (which is when they can be appointed).

Unregistered 26-04-2022 08:54 PM

I see thank you. For context, my ro said I would be appointed as coordinator next year first, then sent for interview the end of next year..which is long..

Unregistered 26-04-2022 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215775)
I see thank you. For context, my ro said I would be appointed as coordinator next year first, then sent for interview the end of next year..which is long..

Some thoughts:

1) Whether it's a "norm" might also depend on P / SLs. In one of my previous schools, pretty much everyone that rose from within had to go through 1-2 years of internal appointment first before confirmation. On the plus side, this practice allowed officers the opportunity to gracefully exit the role if it wasn't a good fit (whether a decision by SLs, or the officer themselves decide not to pursue it).

2) If you've pretty much got an interview date set already, is there really a big rush? If you're doing SH-level work now, your performance rating and CEP will likely be adjusted accordingly anyway, regardless of actual appointment. If you're not (doing the work yet), you can try asking your RO for more responsibilities. You would be missing out on responsibility allowance, which is rather annoying, but in the long run it's really not that big a deal, is it?

3) Do you really have a better alternative? You can try applying for open posting this year, and perhaps another school will want to take you in as SH/LH - but you might only be released in Jun 23, which would only accelerate the timeline by half a year, while you'll have to get acquainted with the new people/systems.

On a very practical level, I don't think it makes much sense to switch schools, if you've been doing pretty well there. If the internal appointment system is not actually the norm in your school, you might want to ask your RO why so much additional time is required, and how you can develop yourself further in preparation for the interview.

Unregistered 26-04-2022 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215665)
Who the heck is getting 4-5 avg bonus per year?? What are you smoking? Are you guys even teachers???

Excluding Covid 19 years, my PB was
Mid year +Year end CS bonus - Avging 1.3 mth
AWS - 1mth
PB B -Avging 2mth+

~Min 4Month

How is this unreal?

In one of years (A grade for PB)
I even got 5mth+ bonus