Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 26-04-2022 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215794)
Some thoughts:

1) Whether it's a "norm" might also depend on P / SLs. In one of my previous schools, pretty much everyone that rose from within had to go through 1-2 years of internal appointment first before confirmation. On the plus side, this practice allowed officers the opportunity to gracefully exit the role if it wasn't a good fit (whether a decision by SLs, or the officer themselves decide not to pursue it).

2) If you've pretty much got an interview date set already, is there really a big rush? If you're doing SH-level work now, your performance rating and CEP will likely be adjusted accordingly anyway, regardless of actual appointment. If you're not (doing the work yet), you can try asking your RO for more responsibilities. You would be missing out on responsibility allowance, which is rather annoying, but in the long run it's really not that big a deal, is it?

3) Do you really have a better alternative? You can try applying for open posting this year, and perhaps another school will want to take you in as SH/LH - but you might only be released in Jun 23, which would only accelerate the timeline by half a year, while you'll have to get acquainted with the new people/systems.

On a very practical level, I don't think it makes much sense to switch schools, if you've been doing pretty well there. If the internal appointment system is not actually the norm in your school, you might want to ask your RO why so much additional time is required, and how you can develop yourself further in preparation for the interview.

sound advice. Thanks

Unregistered 26-04-2022 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215675)
10 yoe n already 7k to 8k is possible, if the teacher is earmarked for hod or vp or p. Most of such teachers are already at seo 1 level. But they are not the majority for sure.

similarly 5.5-6k with 5yoe are usually those type who are earmarked for hod or vp.

agree with u that most teachers with 10yoe will probably be at geo 4 which means around 5k to 6k only

Yup, I do know of a teacher (MOE overseas scholar) getting 6.3K at 5 YOE.
Also, while is is rare, but there are couple of high flyer ppl who became VPs at 10 YOE. I reckoned they must be getting at least 8K+

Unregistered 26-04-2022 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215808)
Yup, I do know of a teacher (MOE overseas scholar) getting 6.3K at 5 YOE.
Also, while is is rare, but there are couple of high flyer ppl who became VPs at 10 YOE. I reckoned they must be getting at least 8K+

I worked in MOE HQ, there is currently one female who is director (not deputy) at age of 33 who was seconded to HQ a few years ago after been a teacher for few years.
Extreme high flyer. Should be getting 5 digit i suppose?

Unregistered 26-04-2022 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215810)
I worked in MOE HQ, there is currently one female who is director (not deputy) at age of 33 who was seconded to HQ a few years ago after been a teacher for few years.
Extreme high flyer. Should be getting 5 digit i suppose?

Those people are from leadership adminstrative service track la.
Their CEP is to become Deputy Secretary, Perm Secetary or even to lead Stat Board

Unregistered 27-04-2022 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215675)
10 yoe n already 7k to 8k is possible, if the teacher is earmarked for hod or vp or p. Most of such teachers are already at seo 1 level. But they are not the majority for sure.

similarly 5.5-6k with 5yoe are usually those type who are earmarked for hod or vp.

agree with u that most teachers with 10yoe will probably be at geo 4 which means around 5k to 6k only

I am a 10yoe at geo 5 (4th year at this grade), and yes salary is in the 7k range. Tbh, I don’t think that I am anywhere near VP-ship. The supply-demand situation is skewed, and most SLs are not cut out to groom the next batch of leadership. Many assume that you will be contented to be appointed SH/HOD and thus fail to have a clear developmental plan craft out for aspiring officers.

Unregistered 27-04-2022 10:45 AM

I have a colleague who is covering a KP position for at least 6 years. Does that mean this person is not suitable/ sch is not ready / any particular reason?

Unregistered 27-04-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215844)
I have a colleague who is covering a KP position for at least 6 years. Does that mean this person is not suitable/ sch is not ready / any particular reason?

Maybe exceed quota. Depending on department size, there is a maximum number of confirmed KPs at each level. e.g. an IP dept with 15 teachers and one HOD, may have one SH for a subject that the HOD doesn't teach, but usually not more than that. But the limits are always specific to each school's context, rather than generalised.

Unregistered 27-04-2022 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215844)

You need to be more specific. I have seen a number of SHs who are covering hod position but never gotten the chance to move up. HODs ended up being helicoptered from elsewhere. Sometimes, the SLs just deem the person not suitable to take on greater responsibilities.

Unregistered 27-04-2022 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215884)
You need to be more specific. I have seen a number of SHs who are covering hod position but never gotten the chance to move up. HODs ended up being helicoptered from elsewhere. Sometimes, the SLs just deem the person not suitable to take on greater responsibilities.

I see, so far there’s HOD and this person is covering SH position. Still covering after these years hence I’m curious to know if she is not suitable or SL may reserve place for someone else

Unregistered 27-04-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215806)
Excluding Covid 19 years, my PB was
Mid year +Year end CS bonus - Avging 1.3 mth
AWS - 1mth
PB B -Avging 2mth+

~Min 4Month

How is this unreal?

In one of years (A grade for PB)
I even got 5mth+ bonus

Real for those with Grade B and above I suppose.

Not real for the many of us with a Grade C.