Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 15-07-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141718)
Hi, is there anyone here with experience of applying for HQ positions during open posting? May I know whether they interview every EO who applies for the position and then make a decision? Or is there a shortlisting of EOs they wish to interview? Usually how long after the interview will we hear about the final results? Thank you!

Depends on the number of applicants. If there are many applicants, the DDs will most likely shortlist candidates for interview. Also, for outcome, it really depends. If you are really outstanding, they may offer you the position as early as 1 day later but some management may want to wait till they complete interviewing all shortlisted candidates before they make a selection. Don’t worry too much. Just give it your best shot and focus on what is within your circle of control.

Unregistered 15-07-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141701)
Hi,

After u leave the service, how hard is it to join back as a (flexi/contract) Adjunct teacher?

Flexi should be easy as long as your ranking is at least a C.

Unregistered 16-07-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141529)
Degree and dip ed are only using the same scale. They do not start at the same place on the scale.

Thanks for your reply, this is also what I understood.

The difference in terms of starting pay and scale range is also quite significant. I heard that DipEd vs PGDE is around $2k vs $3k during course of study and an average of $2.3k vs $3.5k when serving bond and starting to teach. Is this accurate?

Also, in the event after 2 years of DipEd I manage to cross over to take up BA Arts course I heard that this studying period for BA will not be paid. Is it accurate?

Appreciate all your replies!

Unregistered 16-07-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141884)
Thanks for your reply, this is also what I understood.

The difference in terms of starting pay and scale range is also quite significant. I heard that DipEd vs PGDE is around $2k vs $3k during course of study and an average of $2.3k vs $3.5k when serving bond and starting to teach. Is this accurate?

Also, in the event after 2 years of DipEd I manage to cross over to take up BA Arts course I heard that this studying period for BA will not be paid. Is it accurate?

Appreciate all your replies!

Yes the pay range you say is accurate. Their starting pay is available on moe website.

DipEd is 1.8 - 2.3, PGDE is 2.7 - 3.5. There is a significant difference.

flufflychoco 17-07-2020 06:17 PM

Hello,

I left the service end of last year after 3.5years in the service for a job in the private sector. I wanted to have a sense of how life is like outside the ministry and I'm having a better work-life balance currently. However, I do miss teaching and my students and do not rule out the possibility of returning to becoming a MOE teacher in the future. I was a MOE TA, and did my PGDE.

Wondering if there are anyone out here who left the service and return after a while. How is the pay scale like? Would my pay start from where I left off at, or would they take into account of my experience outside in the private sector (I'm woking in humanities sector currently)? Thank you! :)

Unregistered 17-07-2020 06:57 PM

How does one prepare for a ST-ship interview? Do we need to keep hard copies of all your sharings etc in files? Or soft copies will suffice?

Unregistered 18-07-2020 11:26 AM

Ranking and promotion in HQ

Hi everyone! Wondering how ranking and promotion are like in HQ:

1) Do all the officers in the division (at GEO4 for eg) get ranked together and a bell curve decides the grades they get or do officers get ranked just within the team they work with?

2) Also, is it true, based on rumours, that it's more difficult for an officer to get A or B grades in HQ as compared to when they were in schools?

3) Finally, about work after HQ- do HQ officers usually post out as KPs or normal teachers again? How is this decided?

If anyone experienced here can shed light on HQ work and promotion, it's much appreciated!

Unregistered 18-07-2020 03:24 PM

I was just a small fry within HQ so this is just based on observation / what my RO unofficially let me know, but my understanding is:

1) Ranked within Branch, endorsed at Division level (similar to school - ranked within school; endorsed at Cluster level)

2) Assuming your Division was discerning in bringing in highly motivated officers (which is usually the case), yes, it's more difficult to achieve high ratings.

3) Standard HQ officer estab is SEO1 level already (equivalent to SH/LH); so not usually a problem for an officer to secure a SH/LH position when returning to school. From observation, you can usually apply 'one step up' - former SH/LHs tend to go out as HODs; those who entered as teachers often go out as SH/LH (dependent on your CEP, of course).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142002)
Hi everyone! Wondering how ranking and promotion are like in HQ:

1) Do all the officers in the division (at GEO4 for eg) get ranked together and a bell curve decides the grades they get or do officers get ranked just within the team they work with?

2) Also, is it true, based on rumours, that it's more difficult for an officer to get A or B grades in HQ as compared to when they were in schools?

3) Finally, about work after HQ- do HQ officers usually post out as KPs or normal teachers again? How is this decided?

If anyone experienced here can shed light on HQ work and promotion, it's much appreciated!

Unregistered 18-07-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141955)
How does one prepare for a ST-ship interview? Do we need to keep hard copies of all your sharings etc in files? Or soft copies will suffice?

You will need to have hardcopies of what you have done as they need to be placed in your portfolio, which will be submitted around two weeks before your interview. What you include should also be mentioned in your write up.

Unregistered 18-07-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141690)
Hi all,

I'll like to check if one can still receive his/her Performance Bonus if one is on No-Pay Leave.

I am a teacher who intends to take NPL from Jan 2021 - Jun 2021. I have served the full year of 2020. But PB is only credited in Mar/April which will be during my NPL.

Will I still receive my PB for the work done this year?

In the event I have to extend my NPL or resign from service after my NPL, will my PB be clawed back by MOE?

Thanks in advance to those who are able to advise me on this. :)

PB for 2020 will be credited to your bank acc in 2021 even if you are on NPL next year.