Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 18-07-2020 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flufflychoco (Post 141954)
Hello,

I left the service end of last year after 3.5years in the service for a job in the private sector. I wanted to have a sense of how life is like outside the ministry and I'm having a better work-life balance currently. However, I do miss teaching and my students and do not rule out the possibility of returning to becoming a MOE teacher in the future. I was a MOE TA, and did my PGDE.

Wondering if there are anyone out here who left the service and return after a while. How is the pay scale like? Would my pay start from where I left off at, or would they take into account of my experience outside in the private sector (I'm woking in humanities sector currently)? Thank you! :)

I’m a tutor with some ex MOE colleagues. Heard that in recent years, MOE is not taking back teachers who had left the service. They are not in need of teachers bcos of low birth rate, schools & JCs closing left right centre. These JC teachers are posted to Sec/pri sch to teach, they can’t handle it & then they leave. So. Might be hard to return to MOE once you’ve left. Might be a good idea to stay in your current job if u like the work.

Unregistered 19-07-2020 08:53 AM

Hi, is there an official way to check if your bond has been completed?

Unregistered 19-07-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142046)

Email HR and ask if you resign effective DDMMYYYY, do you have to pay any liquidated damages. It has to be a Yes/No question.

Unregistered 19-07-2020 10:14 PM

OP here. Thanks so much for your reply! (:
Is it also true that it is more difficult to secure an open posting to HQ compared to schools? Are there particular requirements to qualify for a HQ posting that are not made known publicly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142013)
I was just a small fry within HQ so this is just based on observation / what my RO unofficially let me know, but my understanding is:

1) Ranked within Branch, endorsed at Division level (similar to school - ranked within school; endorsed at Cluster level)

2) Assuming your Division was discerning in bringing in highly motivated officers (which is usually the case), yes, it's more difficult to achieve high ratings.

3) Standard HQ officer estab is SEO1 level already (equivalent to SH/LH); so not usually a problem for an officer to secure a SH/LH position when returning to school. From observation, you can usually apply 'one step up' - former SH/LHs tend to go out as HODs; those who entered as teachers often go out as SH/LH (dependent on your CEP, of course).

Unregistered 21-07-2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142046)

My contract stated it.

Are you looking for greener pastures?

Unregistered 21-07-2020 11:35 PM

Hi, I would greatly appreciate advice.
I have been mulling over whether to express my intent to take on leadership positions.
I have recently transferred school and before I left, my previous P told me to let the current P know.
I am inclined to listen to my previous P's advice, but I'd also like to hear from people who may have alternative views on this.

Unregistered 22-07-2020 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142333)
I have been mulling over whether to express my intent to take on leadership positions.
I have recently transferred school and before I left, my previous P told me to let the current P know.
I am inclined to listen to my previous P's advice, but I'd also like to hear from people who may have alternative views on this.

How many years have you been in service?
So, you left your previous school because there is no leadership position available?
I think expressing interest in leadership position the moment you transfer may be too fast.
Your P would not have enough understanding about you to give you advice either.
Maybe let your RO know of it during year end work review first?
In any case, your RO will convey your interest to SLs

Unregistered 22-07-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142333)

Yes, there’s definitely no harm in informing your new P regarding your intentions because only when you voiced it out, then ppl will start to notice you and your work. They may also give you more developmental tasks to “test” you out. I guess the traditional thinking of “work hard until my bosses recognise my effort” no longer resonates with the younger workforce. As we teach students to be self-directed in their learning, I believe that we also need to take charge of our own career path.

Unregistered 23-07-2020 09:03 AM

Hi, this is the OP.
Thank you for all the perspectives.
I left because of other reasons.

Unregistered 23-07-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142438)
Hi, this is the OP.
Thank you for all the perspectives.
I left because of other reasons.

If you have left MOE, dun look back. They have excess teachers... So much so times have changed.. They dun need you back.