Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 09-07-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141392)
I kept getting rejected in my application to be moe teacher

How come? U get second upper in a relevant subject?
Passed psychometric test?
Interview went well? Showed interest?
Shouldnt be too big a problem.

Unregistered 09-07-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141409)
How come? U get second upper in a relevant subject?
Passed psychometric test?
Interview went well? Showed interest?
Shouldnt be too big a problem.

there is no psychometric test

Unregistered 09-07-2020 04:16 PM

DipEd vs PGDE

Hi everyone,

I chanced upon this thread when I was researching on teaching as a MOE GEO. I was recently shortlisted for DipEd to teach Pri Art.

After reading almost every page on this forum, I feel a little discouraged by the fact that Diploma holders have much slower progression, much lower salary scale. Of course I do understand that this is how the system works, since Degree holders spent more time and money getting the education levels they have and so on.

I am just very concerned, is it true that Diploma holders take many years to progress? (I read somewhere in this thread that there were a couple of teachers who were stuck in GEO1 for 5-7 years before they could progress up to GEO2 and the same duration applies from GEO2 to GEO3). With this in mind, I would like some advice and clarity on the below:

(1) If I were to continue with DipEd, after completion of the 2 years studies, will I be able to upgrade myself with a Degree during bond period? Will my salary scale and progression opportunities be increased and assessed as a Degree holder then?

(2) Im also seriously considering if I should go for upgrading to get a Degree, then enroll in the PGDE programme after. Will this be a better option? But then I will have to give up my DipEd chance.

(3) If I were to give up my DipEd chance to upgrade myself, will this affect my chance in my application for PGDE in future?

Thanks in advance

Unregistered 11-07-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141412)
Hi everyone,

I chanced upon this thread when I was researching on teaching as a MOE GEO. I was recently shortlisted for DipEd to teach Pri Art.

After reading almost every page on this forum, I feel a little discouraged by the fact that Diploma holders have much slower progression, much lower salary scale. Of course I do understand that this is how the system works, since Degree holders spent more time and money getting the education levels they have and so on.

I am just very concerned, is it true that Diploma holders take many years to progress? (I read somewhere in this thread that there were a couple of teachers who were stuck in GEO1 for 5-7 years before they could progress up to GEO2 and the same duration applies from GEO2 to GEO3). With this in mind, I would like some advice and clarity on the below:

(1) If I were to continue with DipEd, after completion of the 2 years studies, will I be able to upgrade myself with a Degree during bond period? Will my salary scale and progression opportunities be increased and assessed as a Degree holder then?

(2) Im also seriously considering if I should go for upgrading to get a Degree, then enroll in the PGDE programme after. Will this be a better option? But then I will have to give up my DipEd chance.

(3) If I were to give up my DipEd chance to upgrade myself, will this affect my chance in my application for PGDE in future?

Thanks in advance

If you do relatively well for diped, you will be given chance to cross over to degree programme after 2 years

Unregistered 11-07-2020 01:32 PM

I think there is not as much difference between Dip Ed & degree nowadays because we are all placed on the same scale unlike in the past

Unregistered 11-07-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141522)
I think there is not as much difference between Dip Ed & degree nowadays because we are all placed on the same scale unlike in the past

Degree starting pay higher

Unregistered 11-07-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141522)

Degree and dip ed are only using the same scale. They do not start at the same place on the scale.

Unregistered 11-07-2020 10:31 PM

Historically degree Holders are more valued

But if u prove yourself to be capable and with the change in govt approach i think is fine

Unregistered 12-07-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141529)
Degree and dip ed are only using the same scale. They do not start at the same place on the scale.

Starting pay definitely differs. The length of study for both courses are not the same but at least if you are placed on the same scale, you will be able to catch up

Unregistered 13-07-2020 11:09 AM

I am thinking of applying to become primary school teacher, to teach english. May I know how competitive is the pri sch supply/demand atm? Do they need english teachers? Don't wanna get rejected :(