Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-03-2020 12:29 PM

Only human to compare and feel disappointed, upset, or even jealous. Everything is so subjective these days and tbh, I don't feel any better when senior management keep saying things like you're doing well, life in moe is about the passion, calling, be thankful you have a stable meaningful job in these uncertain times...but pb and promotion prospects don't reflect that. Not to say that I am only motivated by such things, but it does feel like a blow when you know, genuinely, that you've outperformed others, but don't get recognised for it, and will never get to know why.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 12:51 PM

What is the typical pay increase from geo 3 to 4, and from 4 to 5?

Unregistered 28-03-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131053)
Only human to compare and feel disappointed, upset, or even jealous. Everything is so subjective these days and tbh, I don't feel any better when senior management keep saying things like you're doing well, life in moe is about the passion, calling, be thankful you have a stable meaningful job in these uncertain times...but pb and promotion prospects don't reflect that. Not to say that I am only motivated by such things, but it does feel like a blow when you know, genuinely, that you've outperformed others, but don't get recognised for it, and will never get to know why.

Agree totally. It is one thing to have verbal assurance and recognition but when it doesn’t translate into concrete action, hard for us to believe and motivate ourselves to do more than expected. I have also been reassured times and again that I am on the right track but so far only received Cs constantly despite doing more as compared to those ranked higher than me. Haven’t had any promotion for the past 4 years :(

Unregistered 28-03-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131042)
I've joined in 2014 officially NIE. My progression is

2014: GEO 2 after NIE in 2013.
2015: Got my GEO 3
From 2015 to 2020, no promotion.

Performance all C except 2020 is C+.
Hit ceiling in 2019 april.

Went to P say no black marks... no C- or D. Ro say good.

But now still no raise.

Total service is 6 yr 3 months and geo 3 is 5 year 4 months.

Super shitty. Moreover, I always finish my work ahead of time and help out. Need to clear my SH **** and they get the credit.

Damn pissed... my progression is slow and messed up right?

My situation is almost the same as yours, in fact worse.

2011- Graduated from NIE
2013- Promoted to Geo 3 (back then it wasn't called Geo3, forgot what its called)
Fast forward to 2020- Still stuck at Geo 3.

Performance all C except for 2 C+.
I think im hitting the ceiling for Geo3.
I also don't have C- or D.

Total service is 8 yr 8 months and years in geo 3 is 7 long years!

I've even been put in charge of school level events twice, arrowed to be level managers a few times, taught graduating batches, received parents' complimentary emails before, got OSCA awards before, but still stuck at Geo3.

And i'm a male teacher, i thought male teachers are usually promoted faster? A lot of my female colleagues who are in my batch or batches after me are all promoted, even my female colleagues who went took maternity leave went to give birth and was absent for long periods also got promoted faster than me. Even my female colleague who got C- before also got promoted faster than me.

That's why im determined to change school. If there's no good posting, i'll probably quit.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131054)
What is the typical pay increase from geo 3 to 4, and from 4 to 5?

38 year old.
offered 5800 in one of the polys.
is this what lecturers of my age earn in local poly?

Unregistered 28-03-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131047)
Thoughts on this career progression? I'm not sure if it's fast, slow or average. I'm female if that helps.

Jul 2015: finished PGDE at NIE, started teaching in school
2016: GEO2 (C plus)
April 2017: batch promotion to GEO3 (C)
2018: GEO3 (B).
Left school for HQ via open posting, started at HQ in 2019
2019: Entered HQ, GEO3 (B)
2020: got news of promotion to GEO4

It’s difficult to tell if this is fast or slow because you’re only in your initial years. Progression to GEO4 is usually quite natural if you have Bs. Progression beyond 4 depends more on CEP.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131077)
38 year old.
offered 5800 in one of the polys.
is this what lecturers of my age earn in local poly?

5.8k is reasonable for a lecturer.
I mean this is not a asst professor position but a lecturer.
Masters 5.8k for 38 in the teaching industry is norm

Unregistered 28-03-2020 06:57 PM

Increment

May I know how much is the increase from GEO 2 to GEO 3? Just got promoted to 3.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131042)
I've joined in 2014 officially NIE. My progression is

2014: GEO 2 after NIE in 2013.
2015: Got my GEO 3
From 2015 to 2020, no promotion.

Performance all C except 2020 is C+.
Hit ceiling in 2019 april.

Went to P say no black marks... no C- or D. Ro say good.

But now still no raise.

Total service is 6 yr 3 months and geo 3 is 5 year 4 months.

Super shitty. Moreover, I always finish my work ahead of time and help out. Need to clear my SH **** and they get the credit.

Damn pissed... my progression is slow and messed up right?

What is your portfolio like? But it looks like there is an improvement in your latest PB?

Unregistered 28-03-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131083)
May I know how much is the increase from GEO 2 to GEO 3? Just got promoted to 3.

$500 typical around there